My re-do of the 2017 draft

Magnus-Viktor

1.  TJ Watt, OLB, Wisconsin.  My dream pick at the time, since McCaffrey was gone.  Huge need, great player, awesome value.  

2.  JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, USC - I had WR pegged as a huge need going into the draft, and this season just confirmed it.  I would've taken Cooper Kupp or Ahkello Witherspoon on draft day, and Witherspoon is still really tempting to me, if I didn't really like what I see out of JuJu and WR wasn't such a huge need.  

3.  Carl Lawson, OLB, Auburn - I thought he would've been a good pick up for depth on draft day.  8.5 sacks later, looks like the Bungals gained a solid player.

3.  Desmond King, DB, Iowa - He's had a monster year.  76 tackles, 4 sacks, 5 PDef, 1 INT returned 90 yards for a TD.  In 16 games with only 4 starts.  He'd be a S instead of a CB in Pittsburgh I think.  He was the best DB in college his junior year when he had 8 INTs.  He's one hell of a football player, even if he is 5'10" and slower than you'd like. 

4.  George Kittle, TE, Iowa - A more dynamic receiving TE that would've kept them from burning future picks & huge cap space on Vance McDonald.  He's looked good for the 9ers, and was a 4.5 guy that made some plays in college too.  

5.  Brian Allen, DB, Utah - I probably should've switched this one, but I am still hoping he materializes into a solid player.  He was the 3rd player behind Watt and Conner that the Steelers actually drafted that I wanted (I didn't want Conner in 3 though!).  Trent Taylor as a return man & slot depth is one of the few appealing players taken after him.  The latter half of this draft was really poor.  From this pick on there isn't much to choose from IMO.  1-4 was pretty good though.

6.  Stacy Coley, WR, Miami - He looked pretty solid in PS for the Vikes.  

7.  Chris Carson, RB, OK State - Big, physical back.  Draft a scat back to go with him next year if Bell walks.  I wanted to keep Conner, and I liked him on draft day too, but 3 was too early IMO, and I'd value 8.5 sacks from an OLB and 515 receiving yards from a cheap TE (and keeping my future picks) rather than trading for McDonald.  

(This is really close to what I would've done on draft day.  Coley wasn't on my radar before, but the rest were all on my radar on draft day.)

I'm very much of the same mind on this.  I like Sutton and think he may be good at some point, but Conner and Dobbs, yeah...  we could manage without them.  

Watt & JuJu obviously worked out extremely well.

I was a big fan of Desmond King, I didn't understand why his stock was falling.  Thought maybe I was missing something.  Not surprised he has been successful this year.

Lawson, I was leery of because of medical, but I think 3rd or 4th round would've made a ton of sense.

Kittle - ditto what you said.

Brian Allen - was / am a fan of his potential.  The coaches must like him too to allow essentially a red shirt year for him.

Not familiar with the last two, but anything would've been an improvement over Holba.  Still like Adams but don't know if he will ever amount to anything. 

18 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

I'm very much of the same mind on this.  I like Sutton and think he may be good at some point, but Conner and Dobbs, yeah...  we could manage without them.  

Watt & JuJu obviously worked out extremely well.

I was a big fan of Desmond King, I didn't understand why his stock was falling.  Thought maybe I was missing something.  Not surprised he has been successful this year.

Lawson, I was leery of because of medical, but I think 3rd or 4th round would've made a ton of sense.

Kittle - ditto what you said.

Brian Allen - was / am a fan of his potential.  The coaches must like him too to allow essentially a red shirt year for him.

Not familiar with the last two, but anything would've been an improvement over Holba.  Still like Adams but don't know if he will ever amount to anything. 

Agreed on all counts.  King fell, IMO, because he didn't look like an athlete at the combine.  Even I dropped him considerably then.  I watch a lot of Iowa, so I knew he was a great player.  But his combine did make me question how his game would translate to the NFL.  I figured at 205, he would at least be a good centerfielder type FS, even though his skillset is more CB (he's a good tackler, but a great ball hawk and good cover guy).  But once he got to the 3rd round I would've considered him really strongly and no way would I have passed him up for Dobbs in 4.  That was disgusting. 

The main reason I switched out Adams at the end was because in this scenario I'd already drafted Watt and Lawson, and hadn't drafted a RB yet.  I remember Carson standing out to me before the draft, mainly because he looked the part.  

On 2018-01-06 at 1:39 AM, Magnus-Viktor said:

1.  TJ Watt, OLB, Wisconsin.  My dream pick at the time, since McCaffrey was gone.  Huge need, great player, awesome value.  

2.  JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, USC - I had WR pegged as a huge need going into the draft, and this season just confirmed it.  I would've taken Cooper Kupp or Ahkello Witherspoon on draft day, and Witherspoon is still really tempting to me, if I didn't really like what I see out of JuJu and WR wasn't such a huge need.  

3.  Carl Lawson, OLB, Auburn - I thought he would've been a good pick up for depth on draft day.  8.5 sacks later, looks like the Bungals gained a solid player.

3.  Desmond King, DB, Iowa - He's had a monster year.  76 tackles, 4 sacks, 5 PDef, 1 INT returned 90 yards for a TD.  In 16 games with only 4 starts.  He'd be a S instead of a CB in Pittsburgh I think.  He was the best DB in college his junior year when he had 8 INTs.  He's one hell of a football player, even if he is 5'10" and slower than you'd like. 

4.  George Kittle, TE, Iowa - A more dynamic receiving TE that would've kept them from burning future picks & huge cap space on Vance McDonald.  He's looked good for the 9ers, and was a 4.5 guy that made some plays in college too.  

5.  Brian Allen, DB, Utah - I probably should've switched this one, but I am still hoping he materializes into a solid player.  He was the 3rd player behind Watt and Conner that the Steelers actually drafted that I wanted (I didn't want Conner in 3 though!).  Trent Taylor as a return man & slot depth is one of the few appealing players taken after him.  The latter half of this draft was really poor.  From this pick on there isn't much to choose from IMO.  1-4 was pretty good though.

6.  Stacy Coley, WR, Miami - He looked pretty solid in PS for the Vikes.  

7.  Chris Carson, RB, OK State - Big, physical back.  Draft a scat back to go with him next year if Bell walks.  I wanted to keep Conner, and I liked him on draft day too, but 3 was too early IMO, and I'd value 8.5 sacks from an OLB and 515 receiving yards from a cheap TE (and keeping my future picks) rather than trading for McDonald.  

(This is really close to what I would've done on draft day.  Coley wasn't on my radar before, but the rest were all on my radar on draft day.)

Lawson, this is a sore spot right now, the FO wasted a chance there. I never knew about King falling - what happened ?

11 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Lawson, this is a sore spot right now, the FO wasted a chance there. I never knew about King falling - what happened ?

My guess is evaluators saw his combine and his measurables and started questioning if he could play at the NFL level.  I know I did.  I'd seen him play a lot though, so I still would've taken him in 3 for sure, and in 4-5 it didn't even require any thought whatsoever.  He was 5'10", looked stiff in movements and slow in the 40 at the combine.  That's the only logical explanation.  His junior year when he had 8 INTs, he looked like a 1st rounder.  Senior year only 3 INTs if I remember correctly, but still looked good.  

11 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

My guess is evaluators saw his combine and his measurables and started questioning if he could play at the NFL level.  I know I did.  I'd seen him play a lot though, so I still would've taken him in 3 for sure, and in 4-5 it didn't even require any thought whatsoever.  He was 5'10", looked stiff in movements and slow in the 40 at the combine.  That's the only logical explanation.  His junior year when he had 8 INTs, he looked like a 1st rounder.  Senior year only 3 INTs if I remember correctly, but still looked good.  

I decided to search about this, and you are correct. The combine cost him , and the slip in the senior year. What a steal though, too bad we never drafted him, but lets see how our other CB's turn out. We don't need CB as bad as we used to, but if we never got Haden, this could be a sore spot for discussion.  Our team is quite balanced finally, but for a while or CB's were lacking  and then before that a few years earlier the OL was a weakness and almost got out HOF QB  seriously injured on several occasions every year :$ 

Archived