There has been a lot of QB talk..but could this be the best draft for LB's?

DudeWhat???

37 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

???

No offense, but this is the logic I often get annoyed with.

Steeler fans seemingly want us to draft our biggest need early without remotely considering how the draft is likely too fall.    Steeler fans chanted we should draft LTs and CBs early for years and got mad when we didnt....even though the value at those positions was usually gone by the time we picked.    BUT THEN, we did draft a CB in the first round....and most Steeler fans whined that he was a reach...haha....funny stuff.

In terms of QB....even if Ben retires after the season, Id rather roll a year with Dobbs or a free agent than overdraft a guy like Josh Allen in the first round.     

We dont know what Ben's going to do yet, but regardless what he does, we should be taking the same approach to QB as any other position.....evaluate the biggest areas of need....evaluate the players....rank them and then stay true to the draft board.   If there is a QB available that they like.....so be it....but dont reach on a need like so many Steeler fans seemingly want.

I wasn't implying we have to give up our entire draft for a QB, but we can't ignore it. Did you see how BAD the Packers became without a competent QB?? Also, Dobbs? He looked like he was lucky to make the roster with how he was in the pre-season. I don't think he'd do well, but I'd much rather have Landry than Dobbs...

Just now, steelcurtain29 said:

I wasn't implying we have to give up our entire draft for a QB, but we can't ignore it. Did you see how BAD the Packers became without a competent QB?? Also, Dobbs? He looked like he was lucky to make the roster with how he was in the pre-season. I don't think he'd do well, but I'd much rather have Landry than Dobbs...

I wasnt saying you implied we should give up our entire draft....but people were talking about first round LBs and you implied we really have to go QB.

My only argument here is that, regardless of what happens with Ben, we shouldnt be drafting a QB out of desperation.   That never works.   At least if we roll with Dobbs or Landry, we arent stuck with them hoping they will get better.   We can go after a QB the next year and hope there is better options available when we pick.

If we could somehow end up getting Lamar Jackson or even Baker Mayfield in the late first, I wouldnt complain, even if I dont absolutely love them.   However, if we draft Josh Allen or some of the other QBs Ive seen listed in the last first....yeah, I will not be happy.

If Ben reitres, our first goal should be resigning Bell.   Then, make some cuts and we might be able to bring in a QB like Teddy Bridgewater, Sam Bradford or Tyrod Taylor as a stop gap.   And hell, who knows, if we could get Teddy at a decent price for 2 years, he might develop into something with the weapons he would have here.

14 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I wasnt saying you implied we should give up our entire draft....but people were talking about first round LBs and you implied we really have to go QB.

My only argument here is that, regardless of what happens with Ben, we shouldnt be drafting a QB out of desperation.   That never works.   At least if we roll with Dobbs or Landry, we arent stuck with them hoping they will get better.   We can go after a QB the next year and hope there is better options available when we pick.

If we could somehow end up getting Lamar Jackson or even Baker Mayfield in the late first, I wouldnt complain, even if I dont absolutely love them.   However, if we draft Josh Allen or some of the other QBs Ive seen listed in the last first....yeah, I will not be happy.

If Ben reitres, our first goal should be resigning Bell.   Then, make some cuts and we might be able to bring in a QB like Teddy Bridgewater, Sam Bradford or Tyrod Taylor as a stop gap.   And hell, who knows, if we could get Teddy at a decent price for 2 years, he might develop into something with the weapons he would have here.

Don't toy with me. I'm a huge Bridgewater fan. I still think he has franchise QB potential. Injuries really destroyed him, but it doesn't mean he still can't be a good QB. Given his skill set, he'd be perfect for the offense and I'm sure it'd sway Bell / Brown from ever wanting to move on.

However, I just don't like this idea that LB is a first need. However, that all depends on Shazier's condition.

4 hours ago, steelcurtain29 said:

Can any of those LB play QB though?

This is why we might as well wait until Ben makes his announcement. Right now Ben is holding off all mock drafts, because if he retires, that changes everything. 

Watt stays OLB, VW is our new starter for good and quietly had a very good season. 

5 minutes ago, steelcurtain29 said:

Don't toy with me. I'm a huge Bridgewater fan. I still think he has franchise QB potential. Injuries really destroyed him, but it doesn't mean he still can't be a good QB. Given his skill set, he'd be perfect for the offense and I'm sure it'd sway Bell / Brown from ever wanting to move on.

However, I just don't like this idea that LB is a first need. However, that all depends on Shazier's condition.

Shazier may never play again.   Honestly, the chances of him playing again IMO are very slim....even if he makes a full recovery (which I hope, obviously).    However, from a mental standpoint, Im not sure he would come back....which I understand.

Dupree looks like a bust.   Moats might be gone.  Chick isnt good.   All we have right now is Watt.   OLB could very well be a first round need again.    I know people dont like us drafting OLBs in the first round as often as we do, but a need is a need, and if thats where the value is, Im for it.

Safety and CB are both first round needs IMO, but this doesnt look to be a good year for that.    Last year wouldve been the best year to get a safety.

QB could obviously be a first round need....but if we are picking 26-32, will the value be there?    I seriously doubt it.

Beyond that, the only other place I see a first round need is POSSIBLY RB if Bell leaves, but I doubt Id spend a first round pick on one.   Id try to find a receiving back and then try to replace Bell via committee using Conners and a free agent or mid round rookie.

So, LB very well could be the pick and for good reason.    We need starters at both ILB and OLB.  

41 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Shazier may never play again.   Honestly, the chances of him playing again IMO are very slim....even if he makes a full recovery (which I hope, obviously).    However, from a mental standpoint, Im not sure he would come back....which I understand.

Dupree looks like a bust.   Moats might be gone.  Chick isnt good.   All we have right now is Watt.   OLB could very well be a first round need again.    I know people dont like us drafting OLBs in the first round as often as we do, but a need is a need, and if thats where the value is, Im for it.

Safety and CB are both first round needs IMO, but this doesnt look to be a good year for that.    Last year wouldve been the best year to get a safety.

QB could obviously be a first round need....but if we are picking 26-32, will the value be there?    I seriously doubt it.

Beyond that, the only other place I see a first round need is POSSIBLY RB if Bell leaves, but I doubt Id spend a first round pick on one.   Id try to find a receiving back and then try to replace Bell via committee using Conners and a free agent or mid round rookie.

So, LB very well could be the pick and for good reason.    We need starters at both ILB and OLB.  

Exactly how I see it.  

1 Roquon Smith replaces Shazier (if he slides to 1).  

2 Sam Hubbard replaces Dupree (if he slides to 2).  

3 Isaiah Oliver replaces Gay (if he slides to 3).  

I'd turn the 2 5th rounders into a 4 and 6 if a safety I liked was around yet, or the right TE.

4 Jordan Whitehead replaces Mitchell (if he's around in 4).  

That leaves you with a 6 and a 7 after the trade.

I'd look for a TE, RB, or CB to convert to FS there.  I just don't see the QB value being there earlier.  Same with OL.  LG is a need.  

6 Iman Marshall, Brandon Facyson as possible FSs or big CBs, or Greg Stroman as a smaller CB/KR. 

7 Phillip Lindsay or Akrum Wadley is your scatback to pair with Conner.

3 hours ago, steelcurtain29 said:

He looked like a rookie who was raw and needed a ton of work... but not lucky... he is on the team because after making huge mistakes he didn’t fall apart ... he got up and made plays and produced...Landry has also produced on the field but during the season..... when it counts... due to his experience I have no problem with him being a stop gap. 

13 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

Exactly how I see it.  

1 Roquon Smith replaces Shazier (if he slides to 1).  

2 Sam Hubbard replaces Dupree (if he slides to 2).  

3 Isaiah Oliver replaces Gay (if he slides to 3).  

I'd turn the 2 5th rounders into a 4 and 6 if a safety I liked was around yet, or the right TE.

4 Jordan Whitehead replaces Mitchell (if he's around in 4).  

That leaves you with a 6 and a 7 after the trade.

I'd look for a TE, RB, or CB to convert to FS there.  I just don't see the QB value being there earlier.  Same with OL.  LG is a need.  

6 Iman Marshall, Brandon Facyson as possible FSs or big CBs, or Greg Stroman as a smaller CB/KR. 

7 Phillip Lindsay or Akrum Wadley is your scatback to pair with Conner.

Sam Hubbard is not  space player.  Steelers like OLBs who can cover.  Watt dropped into coverage more than he rushed the QB this year which is crazy.  Oliver is so damn soft and I'm amazed that many think so highly of him.  Whitehead is Robert Golden 2.0  Regarding your RBs, for the most part, if they're not around 220ish, then Coach Tomlin isn't a fan.

1 hour ago, armsteeld said:

Shazier type LBs in this draft class:

Nic Deluca NDSU

Fred Warner BYU

Marquis Haynes Ole MIss (poss conversion)

Chris Worley OSU

Jerome Baker OSU

Roquan Smith UGA

Rashaan Evans ALA

Skai Moore USC- BEAST

Favorites based on a first look:  Top of class:  Evans, Smith, Worley,  and next level Warner

Not as big on:  Deluca, Baker or Moore

14 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

Favorites based on a first look:  Top of class:  Evans, Smith, Worley,  and next level Warner

Not as big on:  Deluca, Baker or Moore

Deluca is one of my favorite players from the past couple drafts.  I see a playmaker but I need to watch him move since his last injury.

22 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Sam Hubbard is not  space player.  Steelers like OLBs who can cover.  Watt dropped into coverage more than he rushed the QB this year which is crazy.  Oliver is so damn soft and I'm amazed that many think so highly of him.  Whitehead is Robert Golden 2.0  Regarding your RBs, for the most part, if they're not around 220ish, then Coach Tomlin isn't a fan.

This.  I’m haven’t decided if the amount of time our OLB are dropping into coverage is part of Butlers philosophy or he is playing to our players strengths.  Either way currently our OLB are in coverage more than any other 3-4 team.  He wants to get to the QB with 4.  He likes to use all that $$$ we have invested up front plus  someone coming from somewhere else. It’s the whole reason Harrison was expendable.  He could no longer play in space.  If/when he was on the field you knew he was going to rush. It took any element of surprise away on where the rush was coming from.

Also,  I’m not sure what you get in Hubbard that you don’t have in Dupree.  He may not be an all pro, but Dupree atleast has some speed to make up for his lack of bend and instincts.

I love Raquan Smith, but he will be gone by the time we pick.  We have a shot at Rashaan Evans, but I still need to watch more on him judge his fit.

Not sure if there is a OLB to replace Dupree worth taking in the first two rounds, but I still have some players to watch.

Another thing to remember is recently, the Steelers have went FA route with the FS position...Clark and Mitchell...they might prefer a vet type back there.

Not sure how FA looks this offseason but it’s another thing to think about.

Archived