One name.. Alex Smith

brownie man

What to do if we trade for Alex Smith?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Best option

• Still take QB at 1 and go BPA at 4
    • Draft Saquon at 1 and Minkah at 4 get QB later
    • Get either Saquon Chubb or Minkah after trade down from 1 or 4 to get more picks
    • Trade down from 1 and 4

49 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

This is a tough one for me.  I think very highly of Alex Smith, and believe he would give us the best QB play we have seen since....since.... a long time ago.  We also have plenty of assets, and I don't mind turning down the opportunity for yet another 21 year old, that MIGHT be ok, vs someone I KNOW will be solid.

That said...there should be some options in free agency that won't cost us any picks . They can do the same thing Alex does (prolly not win as many games) but would come in and be a stop-gap for whomever we take 1 overall.

See my thing is all you gotta do is trade down with some of the assets we already have to recoup the picks you trade for Smith. 

Maybe you drop from 33 or 35 and pick something up like a 3rd. Well then your basically right there with what you had. 

If we still manuver the board we can make this happen the right way 

19 hours ago, CBrownsman said:

Offer them Philly's second and our 4th which is close enough to being a 3rd and tell them thats as close as they will get :-P

lol problem is I dont think the Browns are in any position to play hardball to get a legit franchise level QB in here who still has 2-3 good years left. Its more of a pay the asking price or you dont get him sort of thing because you darn well know the Jags would easily give us their 2nd rounder + some to get him.

4 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

lol problem is I dont think the Browns are in any position to play hardball to get a legit franchise level QB in here who still has 2-3 good years left. Its more of a pay the asking price or you dont get him sort of thing because you darn well know the Jags would easily give us their 2nd rounder + some to get him.

But would they? Honestly, I wonder what Smith's value is. If you're a playoff team like the Jags, does he get you over the hump? Maybe, but I think I'd much prefer Cousins. 

I think Cleveland is the perfect storm for him: GM he's familiar with, a team that can easily absorb his cap it, and a team that knows they aren't going to the playoffs, and a team that will want a bridge while they develop a top draft pick.

41 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

But would they? Honestly, I wonder what Smith's value is. If you're a playoff team like the Jags, does he get you over the hump? Maybe, but I think I'd much prefer Cousins. 

I think Cleveland is the perfect storm for him: GM he's familiar with, a team that can easily absorb his cap it, and a team that knows they aren't going to the playoffs, and a team that will want a bridge while they develop a top draft pick.

But also a team that wants to win as many games as possible. 

Smith is the answer lets do this as soon as we can 

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

But also a team that wants to win as many games as possible. 

Smith is the answer lets do this as soon as we can 

Agreed, I still stick with the same philosophy of Alex Smith for a 2nd and 5th (maybe 4th if they get frisky) and draft Darnold--then take Barkley/Fitzpatrick at #4....

Its been my initial plan for 2 weeks and I dont think Im going to waiver on it. Dont get cute, get aggressive and take whats there.

Archived