One name.. Alex Smith

brownie man

What to do if we trade for Alex Smith?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Best option

• Still take QB at 1 and go BPA at 4
    • Draft Saquon at 1 and Minkah at 4 get QB later
    • Get either Saquon Chubb or Minkah after trade down from 1 or 4 to get more picks
    • Trade down from 1 and 4

10 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Yuck. I hate mediocrity, I’ve lived it. Trust me when I say this. If we trade for Smith  and go 6-10 7-9 8-8 8-8 you’ll be the first to complain about these guys. I know you my man. 

Id much rather be either Philly or the Rams right now. They both have a shot at the big win for YEARS to come. Why? They got young studs. Darnold or Rosen imo will also be. 

If those were the results then sure I’d be disappointed. But I think smith is better than that. 

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

It's amazing what can happen when you commit to the run and are able to effectively use the run/play action to open up the passing game. Even though Alex Smith isn't known as a downfield passer, he is accurate and can execute those plays when you commit to running the football. 

Pats just got a high 2nd for Garoppolo, a QB with 10+ years future starting in this league. By that measure, I'd say #33 is a bit much for Smith.

My dream scenario is give Philly's 2nd for Smith, slide back from 1 to 2 with the Giants and take Darold or Rosen, then slide back from 4 to 5 or 6 so Denver or the Jets can come up to take a QB and still grab Barkley or Minkah. Of course, I'm only dreaming, but that would be amazing.

9 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

If those were the results then sure I’d be disappointed. But I think smith is better than that. 

Ok if that’s the way you feel I can understand why you’d do that. I personally feel Darnold will be a top 10 qb for years to come and will be better than Smith probably starting year 2. He’s just got that thing the good ones have. 

2 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

Pats just got a high 2nd for Garoppolo, a QB with 10+ years future starting in this league. By that measure, I'd say #33 is a bit much for Smith.

My dream scenario is give Philly's 2nd for Smith, slide back from 1 to 2 with the Giants and take Darold or Rosen, then slide back from 4 to 5 or 6 so Denver or the Jets can come up to take a QB and still grab Barkley or Minkah. Of course, I'm only dreaming, but that would be amazing.

I actually don’t think this is unrealistic. I personally have us staying at one, not getting cute, then moving back to 5 or 6. I think 4 will be a hot pick. 

Of course I can also see Broncos/Jets trading up to 3. 

Not giving more than a 4th for him.

Too old and to me, not good enough to make you compete for a ring. He is good enough to take you to playoffs, but thats his limit. 

He was not very good until he went to Kansas, he has to be in the right system for him to succeed. I dont know if Hue can give it ti him.

We better draft Darnold or Mayfield anyways. And get them enough weapons.

10 minutes ago, Browns1987 said:

Too old and to me, not good enough to make you compete for a ring. He is good enough to take you to playoffs, but thats his limit. 

He was not very good until he went to Kansas, he has to be in the right system for him to succeed. I dont know if Hue can give it ti him.

I would be on the phone right now with the Eagles 2nd rounder dangling in front of the Cheifs to get Alex Smith.

Trade for Alex Smith, draft Darnold #1 and let Smith provide stability to the offense AND the young QB room for a season or two and allow Darnold/Kizer to sit and actually learn before throwing them onto the field. 

Smith is a franchise caliber type QB and a veteran who has been there and done that. He also is also a QB that can help this team get to 7-10 wins as soon as next season. He is what Josh McCown or Ryan Fitzpatrick are BUT he is actually still a darn good QB and not just a veteran backup. If you can get his services and stability that he would provide for a 3rd round draft pick--you do it. No more sending 21 year old QBs into the fire just to have a 3-13 season.

12 minutes ago, Browns1987 said:

You realize that “not very good” quarterback took SF to the NFC championship game, right?

l’d settle for that level of not very good. 

1 minute ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

You realize that “not very good” quarterback took SF to the NFC championship game, right?

l’d settle for that level of not very good. 

I also find it hilarious how people use 'well he can ONLY get us to the playoffs and not a championship, no thanks' as some sort of measuring stick.

Man you just went 1-31 in the last 2 seasons and you nitpicking a QB who can ONLY get you to the playoffs next season!?!?

A 8-8 season next year would feel like we made the Super Bowl after sitting through the last 3 seasons.

At this point I'm getting antsy about all the things that can come between Darnold and the Browns.

Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson. They are haunting my dreams.

At least with Alex Smith there is a middle ground to be reached. We can have him and Darnold.

Would Alex Smith even want to come here anyway? I'd imagine at this point he must be thinking about legacy and trying to get that one championship; stepping down from KC to 0-16 Cleveland is not the way for a 34 year old to go about that.

3 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

At this point I'm getting antsy about all the things that can come between Darnold and the Browns.

Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson. They are haunting my dreams.

At least with Alex Smith there is a middle ground to be reached. We can have him and Darnold.

Would Alex Smith even want to come here anyway? I'd imagine at this point he must be thinking about legacy and trying to get that one championship; stepping down from KC to 0-16 Cleveland is not the way for a 34 year old to go about that.

He would be traded here so he doesnt have a choice and your correct, we would draft Darnold and get Smith to be a veteran stop gap QB for 1-2 seasons letting Darnold/Kizer clean up and actually learn from a good veteran. Not Josh McCown.

As I said in previous posts, Smith would be a stabilizer. He would be a guy who comes in, provides knowledge, stability and good performance to the entire offense and would help all of the young guys take that next step. Right now, the entire offense is the blind leading the blind because everyone is so young. 

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

I also find it hilarious how people use 'well he can ONLY get us to the playoffs and not a championship, no thanks' as some sort of measuring stick.

Man you just went 1-31 in the last 2 seasons and you nitpicking a QB who can ONLY get you to the playoffs next season!?!?

If we go 6-10 (bedding in) 9-7 and 7-9 (36-37 year old tailing off) in the three years we get with him, I'll even add a playoff game in there... Don't complain when it's the 2021 NFL Draft, we are picking 16th, and we have absolutely nothing at QB going into the future.

It would've all been worth it for that one playoff game.

Just now, Aztec Hammer said:

If we go 6-10 (bedding in) 9-7 and 7-9 (36-37 year old tailing off) in the three years we get with him, I'll even add a playoff game in there... Don't complain when it's the 2021 NFL Draft, we are picking 16th, and we have absolutely nothing at QB going into the future.

It would've all been worth it for that one playoff game.

Your missing the point in all of this that we would still be drafting Sam Darnold #1 overall this year AND getting Alex Smith to hold the fort down for 1-2 seasons until Darnold is ready.

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

He would be traded here so he doesnt have a choice and your correct, we would draft Darnold and get Smith to be a veteran stop gap QB for 1-2 seasons letting Darnold/Kizer clean up and actually learn from a good veteran. Not Josh McCown.

Can't disagree with that at all.

It's that caveat that changes my entire outlook on getting Smith; that we also get that QB at #1 and not throw away all the suffering on a 34 year old as the be all and end all.

3 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Can't disagree with that at all.

It's that caveat that changes my entire outlook on getting Smith; that we also get that QB at #1 and not throw away all the suffering on a 34 year old as the be all and end all.

Yep! Like I said the Browns need one thing above all. Stability in the QB room. This is the youngest team in the NFL who essentially has no leader to look to for 'how do we do this'

Smith could come in and be that guy who shows all of the young guys how to win and would elevate everybody on the team because of it. This team needs to be shown how to win and Alex Smith could come in and be that guy.

Archived