Joe Philbin to return to Green Bay

CWood21

Very happy if this turns out to be true. Obviously we don't have the same weapons now as we did then, but I think our offense flowed the best during his run at OC.  The familiarity with McCarthy and Aaron should also be a big plus.

If true this is a great start.

40 minutes ago, jfinley88 said:

and also if the new GM has control over firing McCarthy then why tf are we hiring coaches lol? 

Because MM is the HC, he's under contract for two more years, and the HC hires the assistant coaches

...lol 9_9

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

Because MM is the HC, he's under contract for two more years, and the HC hires the assistant coaches

...lol 9_9

how dare you eye-roll emoji at me

it just seems like everything thats happened since the davante extension has happened out of order from what makes sense. but i also dont get most things. 

I'm not overly enthused with this hire but I can understand it.

From my perspective Bennett isnt a strong x and o's coach, his strength was in teaching the physical side of things such as technique and routes whether as a WR or RB and he brought the best out of those groups. Since he was promoted to coordinator i've noticed that the way we set ourselves up against the opposition was lacking inspiration. It was his responsibility for the game planning aspect of the job and getting the offense to execute. That shortcoming was magnified with Hundley and that probably what prompted McCarthy to make a change.

What McCarthy needed was a strong x and o's guy and Philbin is one of the better ones out there and most importantly he knows the offense. Rodgers is in a way too old at this stage of his career to play in a new offensive system under new coordinator, what he needs to do is focus on winning games and getting back to the superbowl. Like I said...I can understand it.

Personally I was hoping for something a little different. Maybe have someone who can get the offense to play more creatively and challenge Rodgers to be better at this stage of his career. Unfortunately there aren't many top quality guys out there that wouldn't mind a non-playcalling coordinator job and also understands the type of offense that Rodgers likes to play in.

I quite the liked idea of Dan Campbell, the assistant headcoach/TE coach for New Orleans. I think that offensive system could suit the Packers and add balance to our pass/rushing game. Joe Lombardi was another guy with experience of that offensive system and had many years under his belt coaching Brees. I thought with McCarthy and his New Orleans connection that something might happen there.

Next step...hire Byron Leftwich as the new QB coach. xD

With McCarthy saying he's still calling plays, that meant we'd probably see hires like this. I don't hate this move but I don't love it. I wish McCarthy would go outside his bubble a bit more with some of these hires(the new WR coach and now Philbin back all worked with him prior) but doesn't look like that'll be the case here. McAdoo returning as QB coach is something I'd be expecting at this point. I just hope we don't see the same tactic used when it comes to filling out his defensive staff

Just now, deltarich87 said:

With McCarthy saying he's still calling plays, that meant we'd probably see hires like this. I don't hate this move but I don't love it. I wish McCarthy would go outside his bubble a bit more with some of these hires(the new WR coach and now Philbin back all worked with him prior) but doesn't look like that'll be the case here. McAdoo returning as QB coach is something I'd be expecting at this point. I just hope we don't see the same tactic used when it comes to filling out his defensive staff

Delta you've developed an unfortunate niche for yourself, especially during times like these.

Everytime I see you post and it's not breaking news, I'm disappointed lol.

Just now, deltarich87 said:

I don't have a problem with this hire.  It isn't the offense that needs new blood.  It is the defense.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Delta you've developed an unfortunate niche for yourself, especially during times like these.

Edit, can't read right but yes So true

Just now, Pugger said:

I don't have a problem with this hire.  It isn't the offense that needs new blood.  It is the defense.

Maybe the offensive staff doesn't need new blood but it certainly does need more weapons if GB's offense is gonna light things up like they did when Philbin was last here. They were loaded with WR talent then. Right now Davante is about all they have with perhaps Jordy being a nice safety blanket on short yardage plays for Rodgers

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm already slipping. Beaten to the punch on this move smh

5 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Philbins a good add.

Archived