Joe Philbin to return to Green Bay

CWood21

18 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

This is actually the name I translated in my head when I first read about the hire.  I literally thought,  "Weird that GB is hiring a former QB to coach the WR's"

Yeah same here. I think I saw it twice before I realized what it actually said.

I would be stoked if we ended up with Philbin at OC and either Bradley or Fangio at DC. I would feel pretty good about the next few years and possibly winning another Super Bowl or two or three in Rodgers prime. I've been saying it for years. This team is garbage without Rodgers. Look at what teams like the Patriots and Vikings can do without their starters at QB. The 1998 Broncos went 14-2 with John Elway missing 4 games due to injury. You shouldn't fall into an abyss just because your star QB goes down due to injury. This team has had incompetent coaching on both sides of the ball for a few years now. Our offense was bland and our defense was always out of position. Rodgers would make superhuman plays and risk injury week after week by extending plays to win games.

9 minutes ago, strat1080 said:

I would be stoked if we ended up with Philbin at OC and either Bradley or Fangio at DC. I would feel pretty good about the next few years and possibly winning another Super Bowl or two or three in Rodgers prime. I've been saying it for years. This team is garbage without Rodgers. Look at what teams like the Patriots and Vikings can do without their starters at QB. The 1998 Broncos went 14-2 with John Elway missing 4 games due to injury. You shouldn't fall into an abyss just because your star QB goes down due to injury. This team has had incompetent coaching on both sides of the ball for a few years now. Our offense was bland and our defense was always out of position. Rodgers would make superhuman plays and risk injury week after week by extending plays to win games.

I agree, for years we have thought our team needed a retooling. Well, I think it's now possible with the franchise also retooling. I think we will have more blue chippers, and solidify positions that have been a weakness before. We saw Aaron bring a dumpster fire of a team to the NFCCG a year ago. Think what we could do when he got hot, and we had coaches and players to help him. 

27 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

I agree, for years we have thought our team needed a retooling. Well, I think it's now possible with the franchise also retooling. I think we will have more blue chippers, and solidify positions that have been a weakness before. We saw Aaron bring a dumpster fire of a team to the NFCCG a year ago. Think what we could do when he got hot, and we had coaches and players to help him. 

Up until I now I was starting to think that Aaron Rodgers was this generation's Dan Marino. Amazing talent at QB whose prime was wasted by playing on lackluster team rosters with glaring holes. We'll see what this next chapter brings. I do think McCarthy is a good coach but he's been too soft on his Assistants and has had to overcompensate for his staff's shortcomings. The bottom line is mediocrity can not be allowed to become the status quo. You think back to how demanding Vince was. Mediocrity was not tolerated. Same for Belichick. I do think McCarthy's a heck of a leader and has a brilliant football mind. He needs some help though and frankly needed to make some changes a couple years ago. We had the offensive disaster of 2015 followed by the great defensive disaster of 2016-2017. The NFL didn't earn the nickname "Not for long" for nothing. The bottom line is absolutely terrible spells of offensive and defensive play can't be tolerated. Winning attitudes are contagious but unfortunately so are losing attitudes. We've had a complacent "good enough" losing mentality for too long. How does somebody like Capers survive a 7 year stretch in the NFL at DC without posting a single season with a Top 10 defensive unit in overall or scoring defense. The NFL is a competitive business. Mediocrity can't be tolerated. The bottom line is if a DC can't generate a Top 10 defensive unit at any time in a 3 year stretch they need to go. That's been Capers track record in the NFL as a DC and he's never lasted more than a few years at DC at any given place. We he was allowed to hang around here so long is unbelievable. What a waste.

2 hours ago, byzr said:

so bring back a couple of the old guys, maybe a new Dcord, and give Mac a firewall from being fired by the new GM? is this some kind of sink or swim scenario? 

Was bringing back Josh McDaniels as OC a bad move by the Patriots? Joe Philbin was a very good OC and Rodgers was playing at his highest level back in those days. I actually felt quite confident that Rodgers could have a good game against any defense in the league back in those days. Last few years not so much.

The new DC was a given. Two atrocious years on the defensive side of the ball coupled with a 7 year stretch in which Capers failed to produce a Top 10 defense in overall or scoring defense. It was time to move on. What you like to see from your DC is a trend in which your defense is getting better every year. That wasn't happening here. I just didn't have any faith that our defense could slow down the better QBs come playoff time. Capers defense either got steamrolled or pretty much folded when the game was on the line in every single playoff loss. 7 playoff losses with Rodgers at the helm. 36 PPG allowed in those losses. We allowed 37 or more points in 4 of those. In the other three losses, Aaron Rodgers tied the game late in regulation and never got the ball again. So basically, our defense either got completely manhandled or gave up the final score in all 7 of our losses.

I think there wre a lot of emotional issues with Philbin that had to be worked out before he would come back. I think MM wanted him, but waited until he was ready. Just my speculation on how I would feel. I say this may have an enormous impact on the offense this year.

9 hours ago, strat1080 said:

Was bringing back Josh McDaniels as OC a bad move by the Patriots? Joe Philbin was a very good OC and Rodgers was playing at his highest level back in those days. I actually felt quite confident that Rodgers could have a good game against any defense in the league back in those days. Last few years not so much.

Hard to compare the two. 

McDaniels became the OC on a team whose HC was a defensive genius.  He gave the reigns of the offense to McD.

Philbin is going to be the OC on a team that employs MM's offense.  As a result, he likely won't be able to make as much of an impact.

That being said, I'm OK bringing back Joe.  As stated before, he has a good working knowledge of the existing offense, so he can get to work right away.  He has the respect of the HC, so if there are changes that he sees could be made, MM would be more likely to listen to him.  He has the respect of AR, so there won't need to be as much time dedicated to building a trust  relationship between the two (one of the most important aspects of an offense IMO).  He has the respect of a few key leaders on the team which will likely expedite his ability to build strong relationships with the players who weren't around for his last stint (as mentioned, a lot of them are on D and ST, but when a guy like Crosby vouches for someone, it still carries some weight with the other members of a team).  And lastly, he has a well-documented ability to get the team ready for game day, and manage the offensive players throughout the game, which has been an issue with the Packers for the past few years.

13 hours ago, Toddfather said:

I still think with a decent backup QB the Packers are a playoff team this year. Hundley was just that bad.

14 hours ago, strat1080 said:

I generally agree with this except,  The vikings QBs were not significantly better than the backups.  Plus, Elway was a mere shade of what he had been.  Neither of those teams were built around the position.  ARod is the All Father of the Packer offense, he makes plays, he makes other players better and he throws his WRs open when they are blanketed.  Our offense will suffer badly when he is not there.  That's not saying that we don't need a better option at back up QB, we do!

6 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

I generally agree with this except,  The vikings QBs were not significantly better than the backups.  Plus, Elway was a mere shade of what he had been.  Neither of those teams were built around the position.  ARod is the All Father of the Packer offense, he makes plays, he makes other players better and he throws his WRs open when they are blanketed.  Our offense will suffer badly when he is not there.  That's not saying that we don't need a better option at back up QB, we do!

That's kind of my whole point thought. This team is too reliant on Aaron Rodgers individual talent and don't really have a great offensive scheme around him. WRs and TEs aren't getting open. While none of the Vikes QBs have been all that great, they've been playing at a high level. They have the offensive talent around them and a system that helps improve the production from the QB position. I agree. When we don't have Rodgers we aren't going to be very good on offense. However, remember Flynn throwing for 6 TDs when Philbin was the OC? While Philbin may not call plays he had a big role on the offense as far as game planning and attacking the weaknesses of opposing teams. Every defense, no matter how good they are has weaknesses. We haven't had a very good offensive staff for a few years now. We weren't good at game planning against teams like SF, Seattle, Denver etc. For example Aqib Talib is well known for jumping routes. Why not throw double moves on him. That's the kind of stuff our offense used to do. Exploit the tendencies of other teams. We don't do that anymore. Its the same bland crap week after week. Our offensive game plan against Denver was a disaster. Under 100 passing yards from Aaron Rodgers? Terrible.

Archived