Panthers sign Ron Rivera to a two year extension

DutchFalcon

Per NFL.com

Kind of strange to see no one made a thread about this yet. Was the extension that obvious or do people just not care about the Panthers? Or both? ;)

Imo the extension makes a lot of sense. As a defensive HC he can take some credit for how good the defense is. The offense only goes as far as Cam goes right now, which is slightly troublesome at times but not all Rivera's fault. 

The timing of the signing made me chuckle a bit though. Wasn't it a few years ago the Panthers did the same thing with Rivera right before their first playoff game? 

1 hour ago, zappa13004 said:

Nice move, i cant disagree. But without a GM and waiting for a new owner ! A new regime will soon be in place, not fair to not let them decide i think..

If the new regime was smart they'd keep Rivera in place and work with them instead of forcing a new coach on the team. 

9 hours ago, OleXmad said:

If the new regime was smart they'd keep Rivera in place and work with them instead of forcing a new coach on the team. 

You probably right but that was not my talk. I think a new regime have to choose his own people. If they choose to keep Rivera, fine, its a good coach and he proved it.

I always thought he was going to be fired but keeps getting extensions with the teams success being just in time to save his job. He's a good fit there but if I bought the team, I'm sure I'd be looking at all my options. Maybe trade Cam to Cleveland for their next 3 drafts. :ph34r:

13 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

If only Lovie wasn't so hard-headed and a control freak in calling the plays on defense then he would've never left.

Nah, he wanted to be the HC. No way he passes up  being the head of the team and the massive pay increase just for Lovie.

Archived