2018 Offseason Predictions/Plans

Jakuvious

I'm going to be honest guys, I think we're just going to move on from this game as quick as possible here. Get back to what really matters from the last two week of Chiefs football: Patrick Mahomes :D

I think most of us will agree on most things regarding what needs to happen this offseason. Though I wouldn't be surprised if this week's game pushed anyone into....less optimistic offseason plans. Regardless, here's my definite list of what needs to happen:

Trade Alex. Had a roller coaster of a season, played like an MVP at times, played like garbage at times. When push came to shove at the end, he settled back into who he is. He panic scrambles for 0 yards, he struggles to find holes in zone coverage, and his accuracy gets off just enough to be frustrating. After a third of a season of hope, he reminded us he is who he is. Get what we can, be it one or two mid-round picks or whatever. Mahomes was already going to be the future, this week should just solidify when that future starts.

Cut Hali. Give DJ the option to take another pay cut or retire. DJ got new life as a rotational player late in the season. Hali never did. Similarly give Colquitt an option to make less, go elsewhere, or retire. Happy to have him but he's overpaid at this stage. This will basically mean a purge of the last remaining pre-Reid players. They're being paid for their legacy, not their current play, at this point.

To continue on that, I think we should go full steam on young talent. We have some vets that hang around for their reliability or familiarity with the scheme, and the switch from Smith to Mahomes would also provide a good time to move on from some of them. I'm thinking Zombo, Harris, and Logan. I'm torn on Parker and Sorensen. But Harris's development has failed. Logan was a very poor replacement for Poe. Zombo really just steals snaps from Tanoh and Ford at this point. The S position I'm unsure on. Parker and Sorensen struggled greatly this year compared to past years. I think part of this is the result of them being just thrown into Eric Berry's role on various plays and formations rather than Sutton adjusting. Either way, we'll need a long term replacement for Parker soon, though. If value is there at S in the draft, I'm open to moving on from either now (Parker if there's a good deep FS type available, Sorensen if there's more of a nickel/dime S type available lower.)

On the subject, Sutton should be gone, IMO. I think someone major is going to take the fall for how this season ended, and he's the perfect scapegoat. I don't see a replacement on this roster, but we have enough talent and an established FO that it should be an attractive job for an unhired DC or some team's positional coach.

Reid and Nagy should be kept, however. Nagy at all costs. Reid still has his faults, but a full team staff shakeup one year into Mahomes's run is not ideal. You fire Reid and you probably turnover the whole staff, and I still love the thought of Reid/Nagy developing Mahomes.

I think you go hard on defense in the draft. Could use current or near future help at virtually every position. Offense I think you just need to shore up TE depth, maybe improve LG, and we're good there with Ware and Conley coming back.

I expect us to still compete, next year. THere's enough talent, and Mahomes will have had two full offseasons with a good offensive coaching staff to prepare. But he'll undoubtedly have his speedbumps along the way, likely restricting our ceiling a bit.

Sorry Chiefs fans.  As much as I love seeing you lose, and seeing 1-and-done...... for a team that's been as good as you for so long it's a shame you haven't seen any post season success. I respect the heck out of Andy Reid, and what he can do with QB's is just scary. I wouldn't have any fear whatsoever if you were to trade Smith and use a rookie, Mahomes, or another veteran.  Hopefully Gruden brings in the discipline the Raiders need and we can watch the AFC West be great again. 

If Alex isn't gone, I'm not following this team next year.

I know I'm probably the only one. But, I'm still fine with Sutton staying. From what I've seen, play calls have been fine. The execution has been poor. No, he hasn't been perfect. And dropping Houston in coverage still baffles me. While Houston is good at it, I think we all believe that he'd be better rushing 90% of the time.

17 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

If Alex isn't gone, I'm not following this team next year.

I know I'm probably the only one. But, I'm still fine with Sutton staying. From what I've seen, play calls have been fine. The execution has been poor. No, he hasn't been perfect. And dropping Houston in coverage still baffles me. While Houston is good at it, I think we all believe that he'd be better rushing 90% of the time.

The issue I have with Sutton isn't really a play calling one, as the actual play calling duties of a DC aren't THAT substantial anyways. But he does a horrendous job adjusting to his personnel over time. It doesn't show nearly as much when the defense is healthy throughout the season, or when we have a backup that's very similar in style and ability to the starter. But Sutton basically doesn't change what he does based on who is available. When Berry went down we went most of the season running the same defensive scheme, just with Sorensen/Murray/Parker playing the role of Eric Berry. When Chris Jones went down today, we gave Jarvis Jenkins responsibilities that he just doesn't have the athleticism to handle (on the long TD run by Henry, Jenkins was the unblocked man on the loaded side of the line who had to 1. decide whether to pursue Mariota or Henry, and 2. get them down if it's a run. Jones can handle that. RNR can handle that. Jenkins cannot.) We've gone through multiple RCBs and ROLBs and no schematic adjustment has ever been done to put those players in a position to succeed. Sutton makes his plan to start the season and sticks with it. Even if it makes more sense when Ford goes down to rush Houston and drop Zombo instead, or if it makes more sense to go heavier on LBs when Berry goes down, etc. And this issue goes back to when our D was elite. In 2013 when Flowers got hurt, he just played Dunta Robinson in the slot without help as if nothing changed.

I'm not really sure what we should do with Logan. I could imagine that it's hard to find a NT, so i would be fine to sign Logan for the right price. Other than that i don't know who would be available in Free Agency to help us more than Logan could. I just made a quick check and it seems like our old friend Poe would be available, which ofc would be a perfect signing if we can afford to spend the money on him. Besides him i don't know who could be a real upgrade over Logan.

So in a perfect offseason it would be great to let Logan go and get Poe back. Cut Hali, restructure DJ and Colquitt to a team friendly contract and trade Alex to get enough picks back to get some young talent on Day 2 or beginning of Day 3.

Edit: About Sutton. Do u know any DC or positional coach who could be a good DC for us? Dunno if we have the guys on the inside to possibly replace Sutton. In the last weeks, i always thought about Rex Ryan, since as a pure DC i think he would do really good, but i dunno if he would even think about a DC offer.

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

What is the realistic trade value of Alex Smith, since everyone knows he probably has played his last Chiefs game? 

What is the list of draft picks available?

J

I'd say two mid rounders would be fair, with one likely being a future / conditional pick. The guy should have suitors. He's a fine quarterback, and as you guys know, just going from a bad quarterback to an average one like you did when you obtained Smith after 2012 can do wonders for a team. I think with the team that they have in Jacksonville, having Smith makes them slightly more dangerous, and I don't see why they wouldn't drop off a second this year and a conditional 2019 4th or something? I don't love his fit in Denver, nor the Jets. Cleveland could make a play, but I feel like they wouldn't be that into offering a ton for him...he's more of a luxury item to groom Darnold or whoever. Arizona could be in play, and that may be the preference for you guys. 

I've been thinking on who we should target as DC, and am thinking Jack Del Rio is the guy I want. He's been an outstanding DC in previous stints both times earning him an HC shot. He played for KC at one time, he's very familiar with the division, and after two shots at HC I think he's going to be relegated to DC from here on. Could be a solid long term solution. 

This has been a brutal 24 hours. I'd say I'm in shock over the second half collapse, but we've been down this road before with Andy Reid. Enough is enough. Bad game all around and I'm so weary of Reid's lame "this is on me, we gotta be better prepared" rhetoric. Wcan't blame Nagy for playcalling when on national TV Reid is seen with the play sheet and barking plays into the headset.   Time for some accountability Andy, it's time for a change.   New QBOF in Mahommes, let him grow with his new coach and program from the start.

I say Fire Reid and Sutton.  Elevate Toub to HC, he knows all sides of the game and is HC ready.  Keep Nagy at OC and bring Mike Vrable home to be our DC.

Trade Alex, recoup some picks we desperately need, save cap $$. Cut Hali, DJ, Ford and Colquit, save much needed cap $$.

Here's, my big splash.... Trade Marcus Peters, he has high trade value right now. He plays well in spurts and will surely return to his idiotic thug ways.  We need the picks his trade could produce for new talent in many much needed positions, before he ultimately costs too much and we let him go for little or nothing. Buy low, sell high, in the classic Patriots way.

31 minutes ago, KCSchnor said:

This has been a brutal 24 hours. I'd say I'm in shock over the second half collapse, but we've been down this road before with Andy Reid. Enough is enough. Bad game all around and I'm so weary of Reid's lame "this is on me, we gotta be better prepared" rhetoric. Wcan't blame Nagy for playcalling when on national TV Reid is seen with the play sheet and barking plays into the headset.   Time for some accountability Andy, it's time for a change.   New QBOF in Mahommes, let him grow with his new coach and program from the start.

I say Fire Reid and Sutton.  Elevate Toub to HC, he knows all sides of the game and is HC ready.  Keep Nagy at OC and bring Mike Vrable home to be our DC.

Trade Alex, recoup some picks we desperately need, save cap $$. Cut Hali, DJ, Ford and Colquit, save much needed cap $$.

Here's, my big splash.... Trade Marcus Peters, he has high trade value right now. He plays well in spurts and will surely return to his idiotic thug ways.  We need the picks his trade could produce for new talent in many much needed positions, before he ultimately costs too much and we let him go for little or nothing. Buy low, sell high, in the classic Patriots way.

So who would play on the defensive side cause they can't march out 5-6 rookies and hope to compete.

19 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

What is the realistic trade value of Alex Smith, since everyone knows he probably has played his last Chiefs game? 

What is the list of draft picks available?

J

At least a 2nd and 3rd round pick.  He is good enough to make a team competitive on most days.

Archived