Cowboys OL 4th Worst In Pass Pro

Matts4313

34 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

I wonder how much the Atlanta game alone affects these numbers. Surely Green/Bell bring that number up a significant percentage.

Even if Dak was pressured every single snap that game, it only represents 1/16th (~6%) of the offensive snaps. 

Notice all the least pressued... Most of them have good\elite QBs. Drew Brees, Big Ben, Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford...  I mean hell the Giants are up there and they have a terrible OL.

I don't think Chaz Green played well and neither did Byron Bell but our OL is fine. Better than most. I'm not sure this stat reflects OL play accurately or complete.

16 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Notice all the least pressued... Most of them have good\elite QBs. Drew Brees, Big Ben, Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford...  I mean hell the Giants are up there and they have a terrible OL.

I don't think Chaz Green played well and neither did Byron Bell but our OL is fine. Better than most. I'm not sure this stat reflects OL play accurately or complete.

They all have elite Qbs and by no means am I saying Dak is on their level but look at their receiving core. Brees makes players better but Thomas looks like a stud, not to mention Kamara out the backfield. Ben has Brown, Bell, JuJu and Bryant, Ryan has Julio, Brady has Cooks, Edelman, and Gronk, and Stafford has Tate and Jones. 

Each of those teams have play makers who scare defenses and players who can get separation. We lack those players.

I believe it just shows how inept our offense was all year on all levels, not just 1 player.

But see, it wasn't bad all over.

Zeke was still good last year. He just got suspended. Quite a few players on offense did well. Zack Martin was good. La'el Collins was better than Doug Free imo. You'll hear lazy people say we missed Doug Free this year but Collins was better. Frederick kinda got lit up week 1 against Snacks but played well the rest of the year, including the rematch. Tyron Smith played well, and you can use the games he didn't play in as reference. Witten was Witten.

Dez clearly took a step back. I've never questioned his hands but he wasn't catching the tough throws and dropped at least 6 wide open passes. Beasley regressed. He had no answer to the defense scheming him, and doubling him on 3rd. Dak clearly took a step back. He seemed to have analysis paralysis in the pocket, coupled with minor accuracy issues(which were present in 2016), and he wasn't able to avoid the INTs as easily. Some of which is just bad luck. I would like to say TWill regressed as I blame him for the Rams loss, but let's face it. He played about as "well" as he ever has. I think our coaches regressed as they failed to make adjustments, and didn't put Dak in favorable situations like his rookie season. 

Listen, it was clear what the defenses wanted us to do this year. They schemed Beasley and left Dez 1-on-1 maybe more than he has ever been before in his career. The defenses wanted to take away his short routes and force him to go to Dez. We SHOULD have been licking our chops. Instead we failed. Dez failed. Dak failed. On multiple occasions and regularly. Tyron and Zeke missing only made it worse but they weren't helping themselves. Linehan has to accept some blame as he is our passing game guru. 

So it's not just 1 guy, but it isn't like all 53 players, coaches, and cheerleaders were individually terrible all year. When we truly look to identify problems, our passing game was our weakness last year. Pass protection was horrible when Tyron was out, but other than that Dak had just as much protection or more than any other QB. Dez, Dak, TWill, Beasley, and the guy orchestrating it all Linehan get a peice of the fault pie.

29 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

But see, it wasn't bad all over.

Zeke was still good last year. He just got suspended. Quite a few players on offense did well. Zack Martin was good. La'el Collins was better than Doug Free imo. You'll hear lazy people say we missed Doug Free this year but Collins was better. Frederick kinda got lit up week 1 against Snacks but played well the rest of the year, including the rematch. Tyron Smith played well, and you can use the games he didn't play in as reference. Witten was Witten.

Dez clearly took a step back. I've never questioned his hands but he wasn't catching the tough throws and dropped at least 6 wide open passes. Beasley regressed. He had no answer to the defense scheming him, and doubling him on 3rd. Dak clearly took a step back. He seemed to have analysis paralysis in the pocket, coupled with minor accuracy issues(which were present in 2016), and he wasn't able to avoid the INTs as easily. Some of which is just bad luck. I would like to say TWill regressed as I blame him for the Rams loss, but let's face it. He played about as "well" as he ever has. I think our coaches regressed as they failed to make adjustments, and didn't put Dak in favorable situations like his rookie season. 

Listen, it was clear what the defenses wanted us to do this year. They schemed Beasley and left Dez 1-on-1 maybe more than he has ever been before in his career. The defenses wanted to take away his short routes and force him to go to Dez. We SHOULD have been licking our chops. Instead we failed. Dez failed. Dak failed. On multiple occasions and regularly. Tyron and Zeke missing only made it worse but they weren't helping themselves. Linehan has to accept some blame as he is our passing game guru. 

So it's not just 1 guy, but it isn't like all 53 players, coaches, and cheerleaders were individually terrible all year. When we truly look to identify problems, our passing game was our weakness last year. Pass protection was horrible when Tyron was out, but other than that Dak had just as much protection or more than any other QB. Dez, Dak, TWill, Beasley, and the guy orchestrating it all Linehan get a peice of the fault pie.

Agree wholeheartedly. By  no means did I mean all of our players on offense were bad, our offense overall was inept and not nearly as good as it should have been. A group effort but not each player. 

Zeke played well minus the Denver game but even then he had 8 carries.

Tyron didnt have the spectacular year he did when he played but still very very solid.

Cooper did better than I expected but seemed to regress when Tyron wasnt playing.

Martin and Frederick were their usual selves.

I think Collins had a rough start but played very well the latter half and agree was much better than Free especially when it came to number of penalties.

Dak seemed to have more issues after the Atlanta game. I think the hits got to him and he started getting more anxious in the pocket. 

TWill was his normal self except this year his dropped passes turned into INT's. 

Witten is who he is. Finds zones, slow above average blocker and good for a holding call every now and then.

Beasley couldnt beat double coverage and teams have planned to stop him. No one is afraid of Dez anymore and whether that is because he has regressed so much or because of Dak, either way he is not beating man coverage enough.

My biggest issue is the play calling. We run the same predictable plays all of the time. We put Noah Brown in the game. We run, or run the bootleg to Noah Brown. We dont run the ball when we should and we dont do a good enough job of putting the players in position to make plays.

Linehan should have been fired for the Atlanta and Seattle game alone. It took him 3 quarters to put help on that side after Dak took hit after hit and then for not running the ball on 1st and goal from the 3.

If you asked me to put in order on what I think our issues offensively were, Playcalling, Receiving Core, Dak, O-Line, Run game.

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

I will agree and add that running packages\formations need to be overhauled by someone other than Linehan. I'd like to see more fullback. 

Seems like we have a good bit of success when utilizing a FB. Don't know why we don't do it more often.

2 hours ago, Desperado82 said:

Seems like we have a good bit of success when utilizing a FB. Don't know why we don't do it more often.

We have a great deal of success when running at 1st and goal at the 3 however  this is what our coaches do.

51 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

Pretty good conversation we had here today on OLine and the draft. 

So...

Smith - Nelson - Frederick - Martin - Collins 

They'd have to run the ball more, right?

Archived