Rams 2018 offseason

holt_bruce81

33 minutes ago, RamPackFan said:

If we aren't concerned about WR then why are we bringing them in for visits? Pettis would be in the 3rd - 4th round range? 

Perhaps, in case they happen to slip through the cracks to Day 3 and become value picks to us?  Also, D.J. Myers isn't going in the 3rd or 4th round.  And Pettis is the exact type of WR that tends to take tumbles in the draft order over where people projects him because:

- He lacks ideal size/build

- His production is streaky as hell (the vast majority of his TD's came against two teams throughout his career)

- He lacks great speed

- He telegraphs certain routes

- He's not very physical (in terms of play or mentality)

- He's a clear complementary piece versus someone who can shoulder the load himself if need arises.

3 minutes ago, chris00cm said:

Cam Meredith lives, first visit to the Colts.

You are really tied to this Cam Meredith train arent you?

Not sure why we would even think about trying to spend any of that money on a guy coming off that Knee injury? Especially when the Bears will just match it (like they did with Fuller) and tie up our cap for a few days for good measure.

10 minutes ago, chris00cm said:

Anyone else bummed that Suh already has his next visit lined up?

He was always going to wait and see if someone threw ridiculous money on the table - and the best way to do that is to keep taking those visits and make those teams he's already met with feels more and more like if they want him they have to let him win the game of chicken.  The fortunate thing for us is that with Hankins also currently on the market, that's going to keep teams largely in-check in that regard.  Washington is the only team I could see possibly making that ill-advised massive money offer (and I'm not sure how much cap space they've really got to play with; talking next 2-3 years as well as this one).  If the money's relatively even across the board on offers, I'd say it's probably between us, the Saints, and the Titans; and given that Suh is buddy-buddy with Warren Buffett, we may have a leg-up given that LA offers A LOT more endorsement $$$ opportunities for him than either New Orleans or Nashville - particularly since companies would likely be trying to snag Donald and Suh as a pair.

Also, NFL Network just had a blurb, that while he's taking his next visit (Raiders), he's still staying in LA tonight to have dinner with McBae and our execs.  Could just be a case of making sure he gets every free dinner he can, could be McBae is going to have an opportunity to turn on the charm.

12 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

You are really tied to this Cam Meredith train arent you?

Not sure why we would even think about trying to spend any of that money on a guy coming off that Knee injury? Especially when the Bears will just match it (like they did with Fuller) and tie up our cap for a few days for good measure.

I reaaaaaally want him. More than any free agent receiver.

You guys feel like the clear favorite to land Suh, which is scary. Hopefully he hates the dinner because if not then the league in is trouble. That's going to be such an unblockable duo.

4 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

You guys feel like the clear favorite to land Suh, which is scary. Hopefully he hates the dinner because if not then the league in is trouble. That's going to be such an unblockable duo.

I doubt they take him to Bludsoe's but it's possible.  Show him he can actually get good barbecue in LA and that cuts some leverage out from under you guys and Tennessee, too.  :D

3 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I doubt they take him to Bludsoe's but it's possible.  Show him he can actually get good barbecue in LA and that cuts some leverage out from under you guys and Tennessee, too.  :D

Bludsoe's is sooooo damn good.

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

Because with what Tavon was being paid, they had to at least try and work him in there - so Reynolds was 1) lower on the pecking order than at least 4 guys (Woods, Kupp, Watkins, Tavon) and 2) was a rookie - and, again, rookie receivers take time to acclimate to the league unless they're Mike Evans/OBJ special type of athletes; even someone like Michael Thomas (Saints), who was far less challenged on his depth chart as a rookie, didn't really breakout until late-October.

I mean, honestly, I don't mean to be rude, but that's kind of a ridiculous question.  "Why didn't a 4th round pick WR see more playing time?"  I'm not trying to say that they're comparable players, but for crying out loud, Antonio Brown (also drafted in the 4th round and fairly well-buried on the depth chart he came into) only posted 16 receptions for 167 yards in 10 games in the regular season as a rookie... and that was with 4 receptions for 52 yards coming in the final week of the season.  Reynolds wasn't handling any kind of return duties and we all know how strict and competitive Coach Bones is with the special teams spots and who gets those gunner spots.

you guys are funny sometimes. 

So, then why aren't we using the exact same argument for Ebukam for filling an OLB need and Smart being the DT need? 

2 hours ago, RamPackFan said:

then why did we give up this years 2nd round pick for a WR like Sammy Watkins? McVay said he really wanted him back - but obviously $ talks and we couldn't afford what he was offered....that to me sounds like Reynolds is NOT the main man nor will he be. 

Of course they would like to retain him, it’s foolish to think otherwise. It was smart though to not match what KC offered in that massive over pay. Not bringing him back makes it seem to me they’re ok without him though. 

10 minutes ago, RamPackFan said:

you guys are funny sometimes. 

So, then why aren't we using the exact same argument for Ebukam for filling an OLB need and Smart being the DT need? 

Some of us ( @jrry32 and I in particular) have said we'd be OK with Ebukam starting this year if it came to it.  He had Barwin in front of him last year (if you thought a 4th round rookie was going to start ahead of a vet at 3-4 OLB like Barwin, you're nuts) and when he had to fill in for Barwin, he showed plenty of promise and reason to believe he'll continue to develop this season.  However, with Quinn now gone even if Ebukam starts we still need another EDGE.  As to Smart, are you just being obtuse in order to be contrary?  He's not an NT.  What we need is a legitimate 0-Tech - preferably (per Wade's past tendencies) a guy capable of shading to the 1-tech and playing all three downs - that's not Smart.  He's a situational pass-rusher (a 3-tech who doesn't have it in him to play the 5-Tech and maybe, in a pinch, could play the 1-tech in a four-man set).

2 hours ago, RamPackFan said:

so when all of you make the Jordan Reed comparison that many of you relate to McVay - isn't that the same thing too? I'm seeing a trend of hypocrisy in here

What Reed comparison? Not sure I’ve ever mentioned him. Are you implying because Reed did well in the Redskins offense that he has to have a TE like him? Because last year kind of proves that theory to be wrong. We had the top scoring team in the league with little production from the TE but this year he has to have one. Watkins only caught a handful of deep passes but we can’t live without him. I just don’t see where this sort of logic works with reality.

4 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Some of us ( @jrry32 and I in particular) have said we'd be OK with Ebukam starting this year if it came to it.  He had Barwin in front of him last year (if you thought a 4th round rookie was going to start ahead of a vet at 3-4 OLB like Barwin, you're nuts) and when he had to fill in for Barwin, he showed plenty of promise and reason to believe he'll continue to develop this season.  However, with Quinn now gone even if Ebukam starts we still need another EDGE.  As to Smart, are you just being obtuse in order to be contrary?  He's not an NT.  What we need is a legitimate 0-Tech - preferably (per Wade's past tendencies) a guy capable of shading to the 1-tech and playing all three downs - that's not Smart.  He's a situational pass-rusher (a 3-tech who doesn't have it in him to play the 5-Tech and maybe, in a pinch, could play the 1-tech in a four-man set).

I’m all on the Samson train. Would love to see him get more snaps this year. I think his play and the fact he got more snaps as the year progressed shows Wade likes the kid.

22 minutes ago, The LBC said:

you're TOTALLY over exaggerating this, dude.  I'm simply saying a WR is a need (not the #1 priority) and probably/most likely WILL be addressed earlier in the draft than the 6th round. We have a 1st 3rd and 2 4ths at the moment and I'm willing to BET ANYONE that 1 of these picks will be just that. That's all I'm saying - then from there all I've gotten is arguments saying it's a stupid move, basically.  

are you saying Watkins and Reynolds bring in the same style of play? Reynolds is not even NEAR the route runner 

Archived