Rams 2018 offseason

holt_bruce81

24 minutes ago, The LBC said:

If we reinvest it into guys already on the roster that doesn't count against the comp pick formula.  That's how the Ravens have managed to hold a constant supply of those picks, because 80% of their cap space each offseason is spent retaining their own.

Agreed, that would be the ideal scenario. But, as pointed out elsewhere, We already have the cap room to bring back Joyner, Tru, Watkins and Sullivan without breaking a sweat really. Plus we have contracts like Barron, and even guys like Quinn whose future are not the most certain at this point. 

Now we could just keep Barron at that point, and play the long game by not signing any big dollar guys, but that doesnt really give any immediate help to a team that just made the playoffs.

So possibly give deals to Tru, Joyner, NRC, Sullivan, Barwin, Carrier, McQuaide. Give Donald his extension (frontload it also, since we would have the space) and just add in the draft picks and some solid Vets? I wouldnt hate that. Mostly recoup the asset lost for Sammy, and not be tied to him...

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Agreed, that would be the ideal scenario. But, as pointed out elsewhere, We already have the cap room to bring back Joyner, Tru, Watkins and Sullivan without breaking a sweat really. Plus we have contracts like Barron, and even guys like Quinn whose future are not the most certain at this point. 

Now we could just keep Barron at that point, and play the long game by not signing any big dollar guys, but that doesnt really give any immediate help to a team that just made the playoffs.

So possibly give deals to Tru, Joyner, NRC, Sullivan, Barwin, Carrier, McQuaide. Give Donald his extension (frontload it also, since we would have the space) and just add in the draft picks and some solid Vets? I wouldnt hate that. Mostly recoup the asset lost for Sammy, and not be tied to him...

That's the really important thing to me.  He's an elite player so, unless he suffers some massively debilitating injury (*knock on wood*), I have no problem if he comes back in Year 4 of the contract after the guaranteed money has run out and wants more money (a la many elite QB's) as he'll provide ROI, so long as he allows us the proper window to get Goff's extension (when time comes due) adequately on the books - and if we're winning I don't see why he wouldn't be amenable to that.

3 hours ago, The LBC said:

Taylor was promoted to QB coach to replace Olson, as expected.  I'm not mad.  The McVay Coaching Tree begins to sprout.

Looks like he's got a decent little resume going for him. Hopefully he has a few years there before we lose LaFleur too.

On 1/6/2018 at 10:43 PM, jrry32 said:

I'm very disappointed that we gave Ogletree that big contract. He sure didn't play like he deserved it tonight. We need upgrades at NT, ILB, and CB. We need to improve our depth. And we need a LT of the future.

So I've been seeing this around here alot lately, so I decided to actually look into what that contract actually is. And the results may surprise, and probably excite most of you. Its basically structured much like Tavon's deal. (Im not sure how much longer Snead & Demoff are going to be getting away with this) And in the end, this could basically be a 1 or 2 year deal. We could cut him after next year and already save a bunch of Cap Space.

4 years - $42,750,000 ($8m signing bonus)

1. Base: $3m Signing: $1.6m Roster: $7m (Cap Hit if Cut - $16.4m)
  2. Base: $4m Signing: $1.6m Roster: $6m (Cap Hit if Cut - $4.8m)
  3. Base: $10m Signing: $1.6m Roster: N/A (Cap Hit if Cut - $3.2m)
  4. Base: $9m Signing: $1.6m Roster: N/A (Cap Hit if Cut - $1.6m)

So basically we could get out after the 2018 season, save almost $7m, or the next year and save almost $8.5m. When you actually look at this deal, its so team friendly that its almost stealing. So lets just pump the breaks a bit on complaining about his deal. Its basically a series of one year contracts. And it didnt even really hurt our Cap Space for 2018.

8 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I'm going to assume we cut Tavon, Barron, and Quinn this offseason and sign Tru, NRC, Joyner, tag Watkins, and possibly extend Donald.

With that being said, are there any big name FA's we would want to bring in? Ziggy Ansah?

Why would we cut Quinn?

I was one of the first to bring up a potential Trade, due to his odd fit in the system. But to outright cut him seems foolish.

52 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Why would we cut Quinn?

I was one of the first to bring up a potential Trade, due to his odd fit in the system. But to outright cut him seems foolish.

He did come on late in the season, but I believe his cap hit jumps next year and we could save a lot if we let him go ( I do not have exact figures, but coulda swore I saw somewhere). Regardless, I think Ebukam will start next year at one OLB and if we sign our secondary long term then drafting a pass rusher at 23 becomes more realistic. Kid from OSU looked good.

Anybody interested in a Rams players salary, contract or cap hit feel free to browse this site and check them out. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/cap/

Quinns cap hit does go up a little this year but if you look the last 2 years have no guaranteed money. That's a prime candidate to restructure. You extend him 2 or 3 years and lower his cap hit by shifting some of it to a bonus so you give him some guaranteed money with less of a cap hit and keep him around for a couple extra years. As we all saw he got better as the year progressed, maybe just comfort in the system or finally buying into what Wade was teaching. He can be cut but he can also be extended with his cap hit reduced for a couple of years. Either is a possibility.

There's also something to be said for having vets on defense - which Quinn represents, particularly if we don't bring Barwin back.  Something I've learned over time is that it's easy for fans to just assume that cutting the veteran and replacing him with the high-potential young guy is just going to pan out with equal or better results, but that isn't quite the rule.  Unless we need the money to fund Donald's or Joyner's (or Tru's, but I'd feel more secure getting early high-level contributions with the picks we have out of a corner than an edge-rusher) extensions, I'm not in a rush to offload Quinn just for the cap-space or to go after some "grass might be greener" free agent replacement.

Locking down the core is absolutely paramount.  You want it done and in place by the time we move into the new stadium and training facilities because those are going to be hugely marketable to players on the market, but you want to have a very solid understanding of your financial situation over 1-, 3-, and 5-year projections.

Unless the lack of cap-room is an impetus to extending the guys on our roster it's essential we do, I don't have much of an issue with keeping Quinn around (even at an elevated cap-number - again, there's no guaranteed monies left so he can be cut free-and-clear later on if and when he becomes superfluous).  Draft someone on Day 2 or 3 similar to Ekubam with high upside and needing polish (e.g. Ejiofor, Davenport, Lawler, even possibly Nwosu and let him beef up a bit because he has some Shaq Barrett in his game).

3 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

He did come on late in the season, but I believe his cap hit jumps next year and we could save a lot if we let him go ( I do not have exact figures, but coulda swore I saw somewhere). Regardless, I think Ebukam will start next year at one OLB and if we sign our secondary long term then drafting a pass rusher at 23 becomes more realistic. Kid from OSU looked good.

Quinn is cheaper than a potential replacement would be. For a guy who put up 9.5 sacks, he's reasonably priced.

Archived