Rams 2018 offseason

holt_bruce81

8 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

You guys happen to have any idea what kind of influence he has on the offense? It's always tough for outsiders to know much about an OC when you have an offensive-minded head coach that calls the plays.

His primary job is installation and execution. The game plan and the play calling is 100% McVay. He's one of our coaches that absolutely helped Goff develop and helped him process everything. Not really sure he's ready for a HC job though. Most of his experience prior to 2017 was as a QB coach. This was his first NFL OC job and he really wasn't an OC job. A couple more years under McVay and guiding Goff he very well may be a good candidate. I personally just feel giving him a HC job is trying to find the diamond in the rough.

2 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

I personally just feel giving him a HC job is trying to find the diamond in the rough.

I think that's the direction we're heading based on the Vrabel and LaFleur interviews. Which I'm getting more comfortable with. After spending pretty much my entire lifetime with guys that had spent a combined 5,000 years in the NFL (from Fisher to Munchak to Whisenhunt to Mularkey), I'm intrigued by the idea of going young and taking a shot on someone. We'll see though. My gut instinct is that it comes down to Vrabel, LaFleur or Steve Wilks (though Wilks doesn't necessarily fit into the same mold as Vrabel and LaFleur).

2 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I think that's the direction we're heading based on the Vrabel and LaFleur interviews. Which I'm getting more comfortable with. After spending pretty much my entire lifetime with guys that had spent a combined 5,000 years in the NFL (from Fisher to Munchak to Whisenhunt to Mularkey), I'm intrigued by the idea of going young and taking a shot on someone. We'll see though. My gut instinct is that it comes down to Vrabel, LaFleur or Steve Wilks (though Wilks doesn't necessarily fit into the same mold as Vrabel and LaFleur).

Best of luck, won't be many Rams fans that want to lose him. That'd be our QB coach and OC in one off season after just one year of success. For Goff's sake I hope we keep him.

8 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Best of luck, won't be many Rams fans that want to lose him. That'd be our QB coach and OC in one off season after just one year of success. For Goff's sake I hope we keep him.

Yeah, I mean, none of us really know how this ends up. This time yesterday, most of us were talking about boycotting the team when there were reports that Mularkey was going to keep his entire staff and they were working on an extension. So it's been a bit of a whirlwind. Just have to wait and see I suppose.

Hope you guys have a good offseason. With Fisher gone and no more picks coming our way, this was the first year in a long time where I was able to sit back and not actively root against the Rams. Really love what McVay is building.

44 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

If Wilks can promise DeFilippo, he'd be my choice.

Wasn't sure where to put this (and I didn't think it was worthwhile to have its own thread) but,

Dominique Easley... I know I've been writing him off as far as us retaining him, and I'd assume most others here have as well (understandably so). If we were to keep him, we would ideally put him at LDE and have Brockers back at NT. I know Brockers looks a better fit at End in this defense rather than Tackle, but Easley looked pretty good with us the season he actually played and this would eliminate our need for a NT this offseason. Is Easley just not a fit in this defense? Are we that concerned about his durability at this point? Do we just think we could improve over him?

I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on us re-signing him.

I'm not saying I down right think we should do it; just exploring options, really.

3 minutes ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

Dominique Easley...

The thing is, at this point with Easley, you just cant count on him for anything. If we would bring him back (maybe he likes it here?) he would be a depth guy. As the first rotational lineman off the bench, Id like that, but we need to stop forcing Brockers into the NT position, because it really throws off the balance of the Defense.

We saw this against ATL, as soon as Brockers went down, our Run Defense was shot (starting the chain reaction that I believe lost us that game). If we have a TRUE Nose Tackle, allowing Brockers to play an "End" in Phillips scheme, not only does it make our base run defense Immensely better, but it also gives us a safety net if one of them (Brockers or a new NT) would get hurt. Sure then the Run D would suffer, but it wouldnt immediately drop to nothing, forcing us to bring the extra Saftey in the box. which then drops our pass defense.

While having another pass rushing end (Donald lite is what people are thinking) and Brockers at NT would be very valuable in some pass rush downs, Getting a true NT who has some *** rush ability does soooooo much good for this defense all the time.

15 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

The thing is, at this point with Easley, you just cant count on him for anything. If we would bring him back (maybe he likes it here?) he would be a depth guy. As the first rotational lineman off the bench, Id like that, but we need to stop forcing Brockers into the NT position, because it really throws off the balance of the Defense.

We saw this against ATL, as soon as Brockers went down, our Run Defense was shot (starting the chain reaction that I believe lost us that game). If we have a TRUE Nose Tackle, allowing Brockers to play an "End" in Phillips scheme, not only does it make our base run defense Immensely better, but it also gives us a safety net if one of them (Brockers or a new NT) would get hurt. Sure then the Run D would suffer, but it wouldnt immediately drop to nothing, forcing us to bring the extra Saftey in the box. which then drops our pass defense.

While having another pass rushing end (Donald lite is what people are thinking) and Brockers at NT would be very valuable in some pass rush downs, Getting a true NT who has some *** rush ability does soooooo much good for this defense all the time.

Again, I tend to agree with much of what you're saying here and while it would definitely benefit us more to have a true NT, I just think it could be done if need be or if we were pressed for options.

Brockers was great at DE and Wade sung his praises. With us not being able to depend on Easley and already having good depth at DE I see no reason to resign him. The cap space is better spent elsewhere. Let’s upgrade the NT in the draft it free agency instead of mess with Brockers, we’re paying him well and he did great at DE. Him going down in the wildcard game hurt as much as the two special teams turnovers.

Archived