Rams 2018 offseason

holt_bruce81

Weird thing is, for all the speculation other fans seem to want to make about how screwed cap-wise we are or are about to be, I can't help but feel like Jacksonville is in a more tenuous position than we are.  My guess is the reason people aren't looking at them is that they assume at some point they're going to throw in the towel on Bortles and draft someone (they hope) is better, but with Coughlin at the reins I'm not so sure that's as given as people think it is.  He stuck by Eli for how long, despite him being the portrait of regular season mediocrity, so long as they were winning?  And the Jags are going to be drafting low enough that their odds of getting a prime QB prospect is going to be considerably lower.  At some point those contracts they were offering with massive salaries (and lower guarantees) - the benefit of being able to offer a free agent a state with no state income tax - are going to catch up to them and they're going to have to make hard choices in order to re-up the young talent they've drafted (and those aren't exactly going to be at cheap positions).  

15 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Weird thing is, for all the speculation other fans seem to want to make about how screwed cap-wise we are or are about to be, I can't help but feel like Jacksonville is in a more tenuous position than we are.  My guess is the reason people aren't looking at them is that they assume at some point they're going to throw in the towel on Bortles and draft someone (they hope) is better, but with Coughlin at the reins I'm not so sure that's as given as people think it is.  He stuck by Eli for how long, despite him being the portrait of regular season mediocrity, so long as they were winning?  And the Jags are going to be drafting low enough that their odds of getting a prime QB prospect is going to be considerably lower.  At some point those contracts they were offering with massive salaries (and lower guarantees) - the benefit of being able to offer a free agent a state with no state income tax - are going to catch up to them and they're going to have to make hard choices in order to re-up the young talent they've drafted (and those aren't exactly going to be at cheap positions).  

IMO, the smartest thing that the Jaguars could do is trade a later round pick for Teddy, sign him to an extension now, and start him when he's ready. Take the risk that his knee holds up (assuming he continues to look good in the preseason), and reap the rewards of getting a quality starter at a bargain for 3-4 years.

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

IMO, the smartest thing that the Jaguars could do is trade a later round pick for Teddy, sign him to an extension now, and start him when he's ready. Take the risk that his knee holds up (assuming he continues to look good in the preseason), and reap the rewards of getting a quality starter at a bargain for 3-4 years.

Well, of course that's the smart thing they could do, but do you really think that sounds like the Coughlin thing to do?

3 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Well, of course that's the smart thing they could do, but do you really think that sounds like the Coughlin thing to do?

I don't think Coughlin is dumb, but it's probably a bit bolder than what he's willing to do.

12 hours ago, The LBC said:

Jaguars will never win anything. This is their window to go all-in and they are wasting it at QB. Would be SB favorites if they landed Cousins and tagged Robinson.

On 8/15/2018 at 6:22 PM, jrry32 said:

Saw Carlos Henderson got suspended and still hasn't shown up to training camp. There were a decent number of people who thought he was better than Kupp. Glad the Rams chose Kupp.

I'll still take Chris Godwin 24/7.

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 2:21 PM, RamRod said:

Thank god. I been asking for veteran LB help since after the draft and I remember a few posters being okay with what we have. Just need a vet who can come in situationally to pass rush and this fits perfectly. Should be a cheap deal to the vet minimum. Hope he signs and can get us some Connor Barwin like production 5-10 sacks.

Archived