Venting

stl4life07

4 hours ago, 3rivers said:

why not ask calvin to sign up, he is a UFA isn't he:ph34r:, and the rams aren't like the lions or browns if losing is what made Johnson retire.

He's not a UFA.  He retired.  If he unretired the Lions would still own his rights.  And if they released him, he'd have to clear waivers (someone would probably still pick him up at his previous salary just on the off-chance he was still the guy he was) before becoming a UFA.

4 minutes ago, The LBC said:

He's not a UFA.  He retired.  If he unretired the Lions would still own his rights.  And if they released him, he'd have to clear waivers (someone would probably still pick him up at his previous salary just on the off-chance he was still the guy he was) before becoming a UFA.

I believe thats only the case during the season. In the offseason, he would just become an UFA.

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I believe thats only the case during the season. In the offseason, he would just become an UFA.

Don't think so.  The Marshawn Lynch situation last season is a near identical case.  The Raiders ended up having to trade for him because when he retired he was still under contract and Seattle retained his rights.

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

Don't think so.  The Marshawn Lynch situation last season is a near identical case.  The Raiders ended up having to trade for him because when he retired he was still under contract and Seattle retained his rights.

I think he's talking about waivers. I'm fairly sure Calvin wouldn't go through waivers.

I'm fairly certain there wouldn't be a waiver process in the off season. Like last year when the Eagles cut Barwin on a Thursday and on Monday he was visiting a couple of teams including the Bengals. Nothing I read or remember talks about a waiver process. He was cut the day before free agency began and signed with us and signing a week after being cut.

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I think he's talking about waivers. I'm fairly sure Calvin wouldn't go through waivers.

Fairly certain waivers are in effect until the new league year kicks in (March 3rd, I believe).  Basically the free agency period starting is the counter-balance to waivers.

6 hours ago, The LBC said:

Fairly certain waivers are in effect until the new league year kicks in (March 3rd, I believe).  Basically the free agency period starting is the counter-balance to waivers.

Actually I think the waiver process ends with the completion of the regular season

6 hours ago, The LBC said:

I don't think that's true.

I was just thinking about this today. Let me know if anyone sees the irony in this....

For years Fisher was trying to build a team that plays great defense, runs the ball effectively, with a QB who plays mistake free, serviceable football. He tried this with Foles and then Keenum, while Goff was forced on him (supposedly). Now we crucified him when it didn't work out and generally blamed it on it being an Offense driven, pass first league (I did, idk about anyone else).

Today, Jax, Minn (with Keenum), and Philly (with Foles) are all in the championship games with great defenses, running the ball effectively, and QB play is mistake free with the exception of Keenum's late game heroics being above exceptional.

Now, I am very pleased and grateful for Goff/McVay and the direction this team is going. I believe this season is a clear outlier from the norm of offensive teams dominating like in the past (Falcons, Packers, Saints, Pitt). But it's just ironic that what Fisher wanted accomplish all along was possible with this team; just not with him leading it.

Archived