Jrry32 First Mock Off-Season

jrry32

Well, I told y'all that I wasn't getting into any of this until after the season. Unfortunately, our season is over. Fortunately, we made the playoffs. I haven't had time yet to sit down and evaluate many prospects, so I am basing much of this on what I saw from 2016 or heard from people whom I trust.
Cut
WR Tavon Austin
ILB Mark Barron

I don't see anyone trading us anything for Austin. Barron played well for us, but we can find a better fit for our scheme at a cheaper price.

Re-Sign/Extend
DT Aaron Donald - 6 years $120 million (extension)
CB Nickell Robey-Coleman - 5 years $30 million
S LaMarcus Joyner - 5 years $35 million
WR Sammy Watkins - 4 years $36 million
CB Trumaine Johnson - 5 years $60 million
S Cody Davis - 3 years $4.5 million
C John Sullivan - 1 year $2 million
DT Tyrunn Walker - 1 year $790,000
CB Troy Hill - ERFA
HB Malcolm Brown - ERFA
OLB Matt Longacre - RFA

I think we attempt to bring back our big FAs and succeed. The Watkins' contract might turn heads, but I don't think he's earned more.

Free Agency
OLB Aaron Lynch - 2 years $3 million
ILB Todd Davis - 4 years $20 million

Todd Davis was one of Wade's starting ILBs in Denver. He's a tough kid who isn't afraid to throw his body around in run support. Nigel Bradham, Preston Brown, and Zach Brown are a few other ILB options. 

Aaron Lynch is an upside guy. He's shown flashes of great ability as a pass rusher. The question is if McVay and co. are willing to bring his character questions into the locker room. He's always had the potential to be a legitimate 6 to 10 sack per year edge rusher when his head is screwed on right.

Trade
Rams trade Round 1 Pick #23 and Round 6 Pick #20
Browns trade Round 2 Pick #3 and Round 3 Pick #1

Browns have a ton of picks in this year's draft. It makes a lot of sense for them to move around.

NFL Draft
Round 2 Pick #3 - Tim Settle NT Virginia Tech
Round 3 Pick #1 - Nick Nelson CB Wisconsin
Round 3 Pick #23 - Leighton Vander Esch ILB Boise State
Round 4 Pick #23 - Tyrell Crosby OT Oregon
Round 5 Pick #23 - Joe Ostman OLB Central Michigan
Round 6 Pick #21 - Arrion Springs CB/S Oregon
Round 6 Pick #23 - Scott Quessenberry C UCLA
Round 7 Pick #23 - Jordan Scarlett HB Florida

Projected Starters
QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
XWR: Sammy Watkins
ZWR: Robert Woods
SLWR: Cooper Kupp
TE: Gerald Everett
LT: Andrew Whitworth
LG: Rodger Saffold
C: John Sullivan
RG: Jamon Brown
RT: Rob Havenstein

SDE: Michael Brockers
NT: Tim Settle
DT: Aaron Donald
WOLB: Robert Quinn
WILB: Alec Ogletree
SILB: Todd Davis
SOLB: Matt Longacre
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Kayvon Webster vs. Nick Nelson
SLCB: Nickell Robey-Coleman
FS: LaMarcus Joyner
SS: John Johnson III

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

Before I even read this I wanted to share something because I knew you of all people would thoroughly enjoy it.  Our offseason officially started out the best way possible other than an immediate Donald extension:

Also, are you seeing Crosby as more a guard at the next level?  Because I'm not seeing the lateral quickness particularly in his footwork to stay at tackle, but he's got the tools to be a really fun guard (not too dissimilar to a poor man's Kyle Long).

4 hours ago, The LBC said:

Also, are you seeing Crosby as more a guard at the next level?  Because I'm not seeing the lateral quickness particularly in his footwork to stay at tackle, but he's got the tools to be a really fun guard (not too dissimilar to a poor man's Kyle Long).

I'd let Kromer figure that one out. It's certainly possible, but Kromer has had some success with guys that many people didn't think would be ideal OTs (Jermon Bushrod being an obvious example).

We need a thumper.. We need to cut Barron.. I also wouldn't want to give Tru that type of money.. 

Would rather have NRC and Joyner as a higher priority. I mean we lost Jack Rabbit for Tru and i don't think Tru is more

important than Joyner. 

• 2 weeks later...

One guy I think has a ton of potential (in that he is capable of off-setting most of Tree deficiencies and have the question marks he has himself offset by Tree's strengths), I just don't know if he's someone we'll look at without Wade or Barry pounding the table, is Hercules Mata'afa specifically as an ILB convert in the Haason Reddick or Jamie Collins mold.  Ultimately, Wade's prototypical ILB is the Bradie James mold, though he's shown he can make due with others.

The other ILB I've been delving into, and you might consider it too @jrry32 if you get a chance, is Darius Leonard.  From what I'm seeing he definitely has Day 2 potential and could be an early Day 3 steal.  Reminds me a lot of Danny Trevathan as a prospect.

Ya I wouldn't give Trumaine a deal, I'd let him walk, I like the free agent options. Pretty sure we could get Malcom Butler for less. 

I would also Tag Sammy and see what value we can get for him on a trade. We need someone with more speed and sure hands on those deep routes, he just didn't provide that for us and it really limited the offense at times. 

I know we have a need at NT, but I would rather move Brockers back inside, Ziggy Ansah would be my main target for this offseason and I think we can get him. 

But I couldn't agree more with your cuts. We have the brain and the speed with Tree inside but we need a big body in there with him to plug up holes. I would love to see Longacre develop with Philips but being from Boston I've followed Harold Landry and I see him as the perfect outside force in our 3-4. This years injuries mean that he may drop to the second or even third round which means we can get him. I would even consider resigning Barwin and moving on from Quinn in that scenario. I am big Robert Quinn fan but he's gonna take up too much space on the cap this year. 

Also, would consider signing Jimmy Graham if he's available, I know he's had his fair share of injuries, but if we had him this year we'd be prepping for the super Bowl. McVay pretty much came out and said we need help at Tight End. I like Higbee and Everett but they just weren't the safety net big body up the middle for those mid range conversions that we needed. 

1 hour ago, Fragafootball said:

Ya I wouldn't give Trumaine a deal, I'd let him walk, I like the free agent options. Pretty sure we could get Malcom Butler for less. 

If we can get Butler for less, I'm down. But I have my doubts. And the problem with that plan is that we could end up with no Trumaine and no Butler.

I would also Tag Sammy and see what value we can get for him on a trade. We need someone with more speed and sure hands on those deep routes, he just didn't provide that for us and it really limited the offense at times. 

The franchise tag is over $16 million next year. I'll pass on that (even if the Rams decide to do it). I disagree that Sammy didn't provide us speed and that it limited the offense.

I know we have a need at NT, but I would rather move Brockers back inside, Ziggy Ansah would be my main target for this offseason and I think we can get him. 

Brockers is far better at DE, and Ansah is not an ideal fit there. Plus, Ansah is going to cost an arm and a leg. If that's our desire, I'd rather we go after Sheldon Richardson (if Seattle doesn't tag him).

But I couldn't agree more with your cuts. We have the brain and the speed with Tree inside but we need a big body in there with him to plug up holes. I would love to see Longacre develop with Philips but being from Boston I've followed Harold Landry and I see him as the perfect outside force in our 3-4. This years injuries mean that he may drop to the second or even third round which means we can get him. I would even consider resigning Barwin and moving on from Quinn in that scenario. I am big Robert Quinn fan but he's gonna take up too much space on the cap this year. 

Quinn is cheap for a guy who put up 9.5 sacks. He signed his contract long enough ago that he's reasonably priced at this point.

Also, would consider signing Jimmy Graham if he's available, I know he's had his fair share of injuries, but if we had him this year we'd be prepping for the super Bowl. McVay pretty much came out and said we need help at Tight End. I like Higbee and Everett but they just weren't the safety net big body up the middle for those mid range conversions that we needed. 

I'm not a fan of that move. That money can be better spent elsewhere. I'd rather not have a declining player blocking Everett. If we decide to go after help at TE, I'd go after Burton. But I'm good with Higbee and Everett next year. People have unrealistic expectations for rookie TEs.

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

If we can get Butler for less, I'm down. But I have my doubts. And the problem with that plan is that we could end up with no Trumaine and no Butler.

The franchise tag is over $16 million next year. I'll pass on that (even if the Rams decide to do it). I disagree that Sammy didn't provide us speed and that it limited the offense.

Brockers is far better at DE, and Ansah is not an ideal fit there. Plus, Ansah is going to cost an arm and a leg. If that's our desire, I'd rather we go after Sheldon Richardson (if Seattle doesn't tag him).

Quinn is cheap for a guy who put up 9.5 sacks. He signed his contract long enough ago that he's reasonably priced at this point.

I'm not a fan of that move. That money can be better spent elsewhere. I'd rather not have a declining player blocking Everett. If we decide to go after help at TE, I'd go after Burton. But I'm good with Higbee and Everett next year. People have unrealistic expectations for rookie TEs.

We are going to have to pay Trumaine about 13 million a season to keep him. We could always try and grab him off Free agency. I just think we could test the market, even though it is risky. 

I guess if we could sign Sammy to a long term deal that doesn't cost too much like you predicted it makes sense. I just think he may not be the best fit for a McVay offense. He let me down a lot this year, didn't see him burn corners as much as I would have liked. I loved our offense this year (who didn't?) but sometimes it felt like we got stuck on man coverage. Our best plays were scheme plays. I feel like if we have someone who could beat a good man to man coverage it would open things up a lot. 

I like what you're thinking with Sheldon, he fits right in. I love Ansah man, he's a beast. I'd love to see what Wade could do with Donald, Brockers and Ansah. What do you think of Dontari Poe or Haloti Ngata for NT? 

Cutting or trading Quinn could save us 11 million in cap room this year. I'm a fan, I'd hate seeing him in another uniform. But I can see Longacre devoloping into our starter at the position. 

3 minutes ago, Fragafootball said:

We are going to have to pay Trumaine about 13 million a season to keep him. We could always try and grab him off Free agency. I just think we could test the market, even though it is risky. 

I won't be surprised if we do. I just hope we have a good plan. We could lose almost our entire secondary this off-season.

I guess if we could sign Sammy to a long term deal that doesn't cost too much like you predicted it makes sense. I just think he may not be the best fit for a McVay offense. He let me down a lot this year, didn't see him burn corners as much as I would have liked. I loved our offense this year (who didn't?) but sometimes it felt like we got stuck on man coverage. Our best plays were scheme plays. I feel like if we have someone who could beat a good man to man coverage it would open things up a lot. 

Watkins also let me down. That's why I don't want to franchise him. But I'd like to give him another chance. He's valuable to our scheme.

I like what you're thinking with Sheldon, he fits right in. I love Ansah man, he's a beast. I'd love to see what Wade could do with Donald, Brockers and Ansah. What do you think of Dontari Poe or Haloti Ngata for NT? 

I don't see us spending big on any DL. I think Seattle franchises Sheldon, and I'm not sure about his character (even though he's a great player). Ansah is a great talent, but I think we'd get run over in the running game. Ngata is just too old (I'd love to have him in his prime). Poe, Bennie Logan, and Star Lotulelei are all scheme fits, but I don't think we'll want to dish out that sort of money for a NT considering the talent in the Draft.

Cutting or trading Quinn could save us 11 million in cap room this year. I'm a fan, I'd hate seeing him in another uniform. But I can see Longacre devoloping into our starter at the position. 

Cutting Quinn saves us $11 million. Replacing Quinn costs us $15 million to $16 million. There's no net gain. I like Longacre, but he's a better replacement for Barwin. He doesn't have Quinn's juice. And as much as people get frustrated with Quinn being run past the QB, that still has value. Quinn keeps teams from taking deeper drops and forces the QB to climb the pocket while Donald collapses it from the inside.

I don't see us cutting Quinn. We might draft his replacement this year, but I see Quinn sticking around for another year. He did put up 9.5 sacks. I think we continue to develop Samson and Longacre and plan for the future. Letting Quinn go just creates an unnecessary hole that we'll struggle to fill.

I am among the group that does NOT want to cut or trade Quinn. I think he finally came on towards the end of the year and that the slow beginning was more so him adjusting to the new scheme. Ansah is a great talent but he is not a fit on our DL. As Jrry said, moving Quinn just makes another hole for us. I like Samson but I think he's another year away from being a full time starter. We should draft a run stopping NT with one of our first two picks. I think that'll benefit our D tremendously. The other pick should be used on a CB. IMO those are our biggest two needs. I'm also in agreement that we need a thumper ILB, but I get the impression that the staff is content with Ogletree and Barron--for better or worse 

Archived