Total Control GM Mock Draft Improvement Talks

ny92mike

Old Forum Suggestion & Feedback thread

Figured I might as well bring this topic of discussion to the new and much improved forum.

Here are some initial topics for discussion that I collected from the old thread, that I'd like to discuss.

1.  In the past we've asked you, the General Managers to create "war room" threads within your respected team forum, to boost Total Control GM Mock Draft (TCMD) membership as well as, a means to provide the team subforum members the feel of a forum wide mock draft in the absence of FFMD 1.  My thinking behind the requirement to create a war room thread was to "push the mock draft interest back into the forum if at all possible." 

• The concept provided the GM the option to either; post and openly discuss within their team forum each transaction you decided on or the option to create a group effort as FFMD created within the war room, allowing all members interested to have a say in the direction of the franchise.
  • The results of putting our name out into the team subforums correlates to the increased number of new members and how fast we were able to fill the 32 GM spots, unfortunately we have didn't make the impact that we were hoping for in boosting the forum wide participation.

My question to all involved with TCMD is do we continue the requirement for you, the GM to create the war room thread?  Some of our general managers felt that they were just spending an extra amount of time having to update a war room that had zero interest from their team forum.  Should this be a requirement or a request?  

2.  Base Guarantees

• Every team in the league is now using this contract structure.  In the past this was typically done in the first and second year of the contract.  We're now seeing this being expanded into the third year of the contract which tells me that it is a growing trend that provides the player with the security that by releasing the player during a year where the player is guaranteed the base salary or part of it would damage the franchise, thus giving the player a bit more protection from being released prematurely. 
  • The issue is the mock draft is only focused on the current year so the likelihood of it being abused within this system is insanely high.  Unless we can develop a proper mean for using this option I don't see how adding it would be a benefit.
    • The current system accounts for base salary and signing bonuses which all attribute to money being taken out of the current year's salary cap.  I personally, am having a hard time wrapping my head around the reasoning behind adding base guar.

I'd like to debate this topic to see if we can't come up with a system that can be fairly used within the awards formulas outside of just seeing it being used on every offer made to simply increase the odds of being awarded the player.  If that is all it is doing it is just creating extra work on your part by having to check a box or type a number.  For the base guar. to work within a mock draft designed around the current year I don't see a need in it, but please give me a reason to change my mind.

3.  Allotted number of free agent bids

The current setup has been 4 bids, 3 of those bids can be switched to either UFA offers or Resigning contract offers and the 4th bid being a fixed resign offer only.  I'd like to run this idea past you guys to get your thoughts.  When researching last year's free agency results (see chart below), the bulk of the free agency bidding was wrapped up by bidding round 8, with only sporadic teams bidding in the rounds after 7.

There are a couple reasons for this, first being that a large number of the teams filled their needs early and didn't have a need to keep fishing in the tank.  Second, the draft started about this time. Third not all teams carried a 90 man roster.  Another reason is that the current structure allowed for teams to sign too many players at once. 

I would like to discuss and vote on changing the bid limits and their structure to the following.

• Each team still keeps the reserve bidding and the triggers required for the resigning structure.
  • Teams are allotted 2 locked UFA bids, meaning that they can't be changed to resign bids.
  • 1 unlocked UFA/Resign Bid. 

Also feel free to discuss any other topic related to the future of Total Control here.

Bidding Team FA BIDDING ROUND 1 FA BIDDING ROUND 2 FA BIDDING ROUND 3 FA BIDDING ROUND 4 FA BIDDING ROUND 5 FA BIDDING ROUND 6 FA BIDDING ROUND 7 FA BIDDING ROUND 8 FA BIDDING ROUND 9 FA BIDDING ROUND 10 FA BIDDING ROUND 11 FA BIDDING ROUND 12
ARI 2 2 2 2 3 2 0 0 0 0 2 0
ATL 1 2 3 1 3 2 1 0 0 0 0 0
BAL 1 3 2 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
BUF 2 3 0 0 0 0 4 0 0 0 0 0
CAR 3 3 4 3 2 3 3 0 0 0 0 0
CHI 3 1 2 4 0 0 3 0 0 4 0 0
CIN 1 2 3 1 3 3 0 0 0 0 0 0
CLE 1 3 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 0
DAL 2 3 4 3 2 2 0 0 0 0 0 0
DEN 0 4 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0
DET 2 0 2 0 1 0 2 1 2 2 0 3
GB 3 2 3 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
HOU 1 3 2 2 3 4 2 0 0 2 0 0
IND 2 0 3 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
JAC 2 0 3 3 2 2 0 0 0 0 0 0
KC 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0
LA 5 2 3 3 2 0 1 0 0 0 1 0
MIA 1 3 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
MIN 2 3 3 3 4 0 4 0 0 0 0 0
NE 1 2 3 0 1 0 3 0 0 0 0 0
NO 3 1 2 1 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0
NYG 3 3 4 4 3 1 6 4 0 0 0 2
NYJ 2 2 2 1 0 0 0 2 0 2 0 1
OAK 2 3 3 1 3 2 0 0 4 0 1 0
PHI 4 1 2 4 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0
PIT 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
SD 0 0 0 0 4 0 4 0 0 0 0 0
SEA 2 3 2 0 2 2 4 2 3 0 0 3
SF 3 3 2 2 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
TB 2 3 3 4 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
TEN 3 2 3 3 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
WAS 2 4 2 0 0 0 2 3 0 0 0 1

Just some thoughts from me:

1. I prefer not having to create the war room thread and view this as something that should be optional. One of the reasons I take the teams I do is their forums may be slower and I don't have to post this lol. One of the things that drives me nuts about FFMD, though it can be fun, is that it's nearly impossible to get things (such as trades) done, because in active forums, there's always the random people who don't want to do trades, even though they offer absolutely no other input anywhere else lol. Then there's trying to get a consensus on draft picks. I like being able to do this solo, to be perfectly honest. 

2. I agree about the guarantees. I think that this is important. Can we add an a section to the excel spreadsheet for guarantees, more than just the signing bonus? If I'm a team with a lot of cap room the next couple of years, I'd be far more inclined to guarantee base salaries and bonuses more so than signing bonuses due to their prorated situation (that way if my FA flops, I can get out of the deal somewhat free after a couple of years). I would front load contracts that way and probably have lower signing bonuses. I think this would be particularly vital in a keeper Total Control. Maybe add a section for what percentage of the base salary would be guaranteed (with those guaranteed dollars starting at the first year through however long until it runs out - IE, if i'm guaranteeing 10 million of 3 year, 15 million dollar contract at 5 mill/year, the first two years would be guaranteed while the third is now). Then it should be weighted accordingly. 

3. I like the free agency bids as it is, to be perfectly honest. I think we could probably just lower the total number of rounds, and then anyone signed after that is done on a first come, first serve basis on a one year vet min deal? I'd rather due that and keep the processes streamlined and efficient. 

8 hours ago, Forge said:

1. I prefer not having to create the war room thread and view this as something that should be optional. One of the reasons I take the teams I do is their forums may be slower and I don't have to post this lol. One of the things that drives me nuts about FFMD, though it can be fun, is that it's nearly impossible to get things (such as trades) done, because in active forums, there's always the random people who don't want to do trades, even though they offer absolutely no other input anywhere else lol. Then there's trying to get a consensus on draft picks. I like being able to do this solo, to be perfectly honest. 

8 hours ago, Forge said:

Just some thoughts from me:

2. I agree about the guarantees. I think that this is important. Can we add an a section to the excel spreadsheet for guarantees, more than just the signing bonus? If I'm a team with a lot of cap room the next couple of years, I'd be far more inclined to guarantee base salaries and bonuses more so than signing bonuses due to their prorated situation (that way if my FA flops, I can get out of the deal somewhat free after a couple of years). I would front load contracts that way and probably have lower signing bonuses. I think this would be particularly vital in a keeper Total Control. Maybe add a section for what percentage of the base salary would be guaranteed (with those guaranteed dollars starting at the first year through however long until it runs out - IE, if i'm guaranteeing 10 million of 3 year, 15 million dollar contract at 5 mill/year, the first two years would be guaranteed while the third is now). Then it should be weighted accordingly. 

3. I like the free agency bids as it is, to be perfectly honest. I think we could probably just lower the total number of rounds, and then anyone signed after that is done on a first come, first serve basis on a one year vet min deal? I'd rather due that and keep the processes streamlined and efficient. 

1.  I wasn't a fan of it either, the war room thread I created in the Giants forum last year got very little attention and the attention it did receive just sucked the fun right out of it for me.  I'm personally leaning to make it optional, but want to get more feedback before making a final decision.  It'd be great if the mock draft discussions within the team forums were as active as the Browns or Eagles, who seem to be on the same page with most of their discussions, but it just isn't the case with all the sub forums.  @IDOG_det mentioned just having the general managers keep a depth chart with the GM Mock Draft thread, similar to what we've all seen in the past with most mock drafts and something most are familiar with already.

2.  For the keeper league only right?  If so, yes I think we should expand the contract structures to include base guarantees.  Over the next month or so I'll create some sample docs for a variety of contract structures that include this option so that we can figure out exactly which system would provide a fair way to calculate the highest offer.  For the original mock draft, I don't really see the value in providing the option for base guarantees do you?

3.  Right...I'm good with it too, and you're probably right about leaving the bids alone and just reduce the number of rounds or not touch anything.  This time of year is when I'm looking at the past mock draft to determine if anything looks off and start tossing out ideas to tweak it.  When I came across this data, it just looked off to me but perhaps there isn't anything wrong with it at all and I just need to stop looking at things to hard...haha.

Also, I'm still looking to add roughly 3 to 4 members to management for the keeper league.  With my excel knowledge I can handle a lot of the workload but I'm stressing this keeper league a little so if you or other TCM members are interested please let me know.

In addition, I know that both the OG and the Keeper are months away but the build for these things take a tremendous amount of time so the more feedback and suggestions I get now save me from rushing to put it all together at the last minute.  So please keep this thread alive.  

• 1 month later...

oh did I see some one raise their volunteering hand?  

Again you'll not need any grand excel skills for this weekly event.  This person or persons whom elect to help out would also have an important role in collaborating with myself and others to determine the best formulas for projecting the winners of each game. would also provide collaboration to deterring the best formulas to project league standings.

Please let me know as soon as you can about helping out.

Thanks

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2017 at 4:58 PM, Forge said:

What kind of stats are you talking, Mike? I'm a little stretched for time, but it depends on how much is needed

No worries man,  I'm going to just collect quarterly statistics, which is something I can manage.  

Congrats on the earning the moderator badge.

Alright so I've collected the stats from the first four games.  Based on the formula I'm using to project the winners for week 5 games are as follows.

PROJ. WINNER
NewEnglandPatriots 19 - 14
BuffaloBills 16 - 20
NewYorkJets 17 - 14
DallasCowboys 
DetroitLions 27 - 24
LosAngelesChargers 27 - 22
HoustonTexans
IndianapolisColts 23 - 26
LosAngelesRams
TennesseeTitans 10 - 16
OaklandRaiders
PhiladelphiaEagles 7 - 34
JacksonvilleJaguars 30 - 9
MinnesotaVikings

Any game projections that you don't see happening?

Using the accumulated stats collected from week 4 and reviewing that to the first 4 weeks the projections did rather well, but that doesn't mean much when attempting to forecast future scores, so we'll see where this takes us.  Still a firm believer in that the system works much better when it has all 17 weeks of stats to project the scores.

Win/ Loss % of games projected correctly

Week 1 - 66.7%

Games projected incorrectly

WEEK_01 | BaltimoreRavens @ CincinnatiBengals
WEEK_01 | JacksonvilleJaguars @ HoustonTexans
WEEK_01 | OaklandRaiders @ TennesseeTitans
WEEK_01 | PhiladelphiaEagles @ WashingtonRedskins
WEEK_01 | NewOrleansSaints @ MinnesotaVikings

Week 2 - 75%

Games projected incorrectly

WEEK_02 | TennesseeTitans @ JacksonvilleJaguars
WEEK_02 | MiamiDolphins @ LosAngelesChargers