Is the Qb situation good enough?

thebestever6

Even if I wanted Cousins, (which I don't) we don't know if he's going to hit FA. I still think I'd prefer going with Mayfield/Darnold/Rosen over an overpriced QB who's IMO not going to get us to where we want to go. All three of those guys could be special.

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think unless Barkley is on the board at #5 that would be the ideal move. I'd rather move a back a few spots and still land an elite talent, perhaps Nelson, and get an extra early-round pick for doing so. 

Would it make sense for Cleveland to take Barkley at 1.1, then Allen at 1.4?

3 hours ago, The Helicopter said:

Would it make sense for Cleveland to take Barkley at 1.1, then Allen at 1.4?

I’m sure Cleveland would do the opposite to secure their “franchise” qb. 1.1 Allen and barley at 1.4, would make more sense unless they value Barkley more than Allen. 

I just hope Allen is taken before we pick at 1.5.

6 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think unless Barkley is on the board at #5 that would be the ideal move. I'd rather move a back a few spots and still land an elite talent, perhaps Nelson, and get an extra early-round pick for doing so. 

Just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if we could trade down to 10 and still get Nelson if he's the guy.

I'd be all for trading down in the 1st to grab another 2nd rd choice.

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

Just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if we could trade down to 10 and still get Nelson if he's the guy.

I'd be all for trading down in the 1st to grab another 2nd rd choice.

I think you could be right with Nelson.  Even if not I’d be willing to take the chance moving back.

45 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I think you could be right with Nelson.  Even if not I’d be willing to take the chance moving back.

So, germ-x, who was it that posted the combine metrics for successful OL guys last year? Anyway, I'm really interested in seeing those results from the combine.

The McGlinchey/nelson combo has me curious. The eye test tells me McGlinchey benefitted greatly from Nelson. I still want to see how Nelson does in the cone, short shuttle, etc..........

Hey, whoever posted that last year, do it again. It's an eye opener.

I personally don't see why you'd want to invest franchise type money in Cousins who is good, but not great. This would shows Elway's hubris thinking he can catch lightning in a bottle the way he did with Manning. Only Cousins isn't Manning and the defense isn't at that same level. Losing Talib would have a ripple effect on the secondary similar to Ward a year ago. That impact will be noticeable. 

The fact Wash. hasn't committed to Cousins long term despite have 2 great offensive minds coaching with him over the last few years is telling. He's not special, but he is serviceable.

Just my opinion. But with the #5 pick, you get a chance to land your franchise QB and the price tag will allow Elway to invest in other area where the Broncos currently have holes (OT, LB, Edge). As a rival, I don't fear Counsins. I don't think he's special or helps the Broncos past being a .500 team.

10 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I personally don't see why you'd want to invest franchise type money in Cousins who is good, but not great. This would shows Elway's hubris thinking he can catch lightning in a bottle the way he did with Manning. Only Cousins isn't Manning and the defense isn't at that same level. Losing Talib would have a ripple effect on the secondary similar to Ward a year ago. That impact will be noticeable. 

The fact Wash. hasn't committed to Cousins long term despite have 2 great offensive minds coaching with him over the last few years is telling. He's not special, but he is serviceable.

Just my opinion. But with the #5 pick, you get a chance to land your franchise QB and the price tag will allow Elway to invest in other area where the Broncos currently have holes (OT, LB, Edge). As a rival, I don't fear Counsins. I don't think he's special or helps the Broncos past being a .500 team.

To be fair, Dan Snyder is generally regarded as one of the worst owners in sports and the FO has a very fractured relationship with Cousins. I don't think you can read too much into how they evaluate his talent based off of him not signing a long term deal there.

I personally am scared to draft a QB at 5 because of the risk/reward. Our defense (not as good as 3 years ago) is still good right now, a setting back our franchise by completely whiffing on a 5th overall QB would be a waste of some great talent. In most circumstances you can say well look lets hope our front office makes the right evaluation, but then you look back at Lynch and Osweiler...

Cousins certainly improves this team, and with the hopes of landing an impact player at 1.5 many believe that would at least put us back in the conversation for the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, Royal_VT said:

To be fair, Dan Snyder is generally regarded as one of the worst owners in sports and the FO has a very fractured relationship with Cousins. I don't think you can read too much into how they evaluate his talent based off of him not signing a long term deal there.

I personally am scared to draft a QB at 5 because of the risk/reward. Our defense (not as good as 3 years ago) is still good right now, a setting back our franchise by completely whiffing on a 5th overall QB would be a waste of some great talent. In most circumstances you can say well look lets hope our front office makes the right evaluation, but then you look back at Lynch and Osweiler...

Cousins certainly improves this team, and with the hopes of landing an impact player at 1.5 many believe that would at least put us back in the conversation for the playoffs.

You're not scared of paying franchise type money to Cousins? There is risk/reward in that as well. What if you pass on a QB at 5 and the Jets take him at 6 and he's a stud. It works both ways.

Take Talib off that defense and I don't see how they don't take a step back. Miller and Harris are now the only players you game plan for. 

I don't see how Cousins puts the Broncos back in the playoff conversation in the AFC West personally.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I agree with the Raider fan. Ugh.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

It's  because fans are im denial. Also Elway has been a lot less transparent since he took over Denver. The end of the year presser sounded  different than this week. Now Elway is talking a trade for a qb.

I also think alot of fans covet having all your draft picks to not waste on qb but I largely agree. A 10 to 15 year window  sounds great. I also think next year we can have a good draft too.

You're not scared of paying franchise type money to Cousins? There is risk/reward in that as well. What if you pass on a QB at 5 and the Jets take him at 6 and he's a stud. It works both ways.

Take Talib off that defense and I don't see how they don't take a step back. Miller and Harris are now the only players you game plan for. 

I don't see how Cousins puts the Broncos back in the playoff conversation in the AFC West personally.

If we sat at #1, #2 or even #3 the argument for a QB would be different. But most are assuming that NFL GM's are not poisoned by the 'flavor of the month', make the smart decision and that both Rosen/Darnold are gone by #5. If that is the case, its easy to go all-in for Kirk because both Mayfield and Allen are, IMO, quite unlikely to become a QB of similar production as Kirk, even a few years down the road. That is just my personal evaluation but its one that I will stick to.

Talib being traded would hurt, but Roby is ready to step up IMO.

Honestly if we roll the dice on a QB and make the rumored moves of dealing/cutting Manny and Talib then we might as well try to cash in on Von too because its a clear 2-3 year rebuild. I personally think this team is a solid QB and passable RT away from being competitive again. The coaching staff may be too poor to maximize the talents but add Kirk, trade 5 for 21 and 22 and draft correctly (For the first time in years), and this team can be right back in the mix. I know you disagree, but that's fine.

Its also worth note that Elway has been terrible at drafting lately, specifically QB's. I truly think he wont be willing to swing on a QB at #5 because a miss could demolish his legacy as a GM and lead him out the door. Its an incredibly important pick for John.

Archived