Is the Qb situation good enough?

thebestever6

23 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

The 3 QB’s on our roster are barely serviceable backups...it’s not every year this team picks so high and with 4 players to choose from that are all arguably better prospects then what we currently have on our roster...it’s simple math, right?

I don’t necessarily disagree because we know nothing about Kelly.

As far as Chad Kelly goes, I will say he’s an excellent talent.  Cannon for an arm, with arm strength that borderlines on elite by NFL standards.  A good athlete at QB as well, able to extend plays and run when needed, but is still a passer first.  Played against the best competition in college football and was productive.  Also, a reportedly highly competitive guy, that will do anything to win.

He was a 7th round pick for a reason, but a part of me worries that even if Denver selected Josh Rosen, who is the most NFL ready QB in this draft (or any other QB for that matter) Chad Kelly still might be the best QB on the roster.

I don’t think he gets enough respect for how physically talented he actually is.  As far as the mental side, I have no idea, but physical traits he’s as good or better than Lynch in every category other than height.

9 hours ago, germ-x said:

I don’t necessarily disagree because we know nothing about Kelly.

As far as Chad Kelly goes, I will say he’s an excellent talent.  Cannon for an arm, with arm strength that borderlines on elite by NFL standards.  A good athlete at QB as well, able to extend plays and run when needed, but is still a passer first.  Played against the best competition in college football and was productive.  Also, a reportedly highly competitive guy, that will do anything to win.

He was a 7th round pick for a reason, but a part of me worries that even if Denver selected Josh Rosen, who is the most NFL ready QB in this draft (or any other QB for that matter) Chad Kelly still might be the best QB on the roster.

I don’t think he gets enough respect for how physically talented he actually is.  As far as the mental side, I have no idea, but physical traits he’s as good or better than Lynch in every category other than height.

Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold are both markedly better QBs than Chad Kelly, Rosen in particular. Outside of those two, Kelly is a better prospect, IMO, than any other QB in this draft from a tools standpoint.

So here's some interesting data. Since 2005 16 QB's have been taken in the top 5 of their drafts. They all have one thing in common. Not 1 SB ring. Now, did they make their teams better? It's about 50/50 there. The point, as UK mentioned is championships. There is absolutely nothing that would equate championships with top 5 drafted QB's.

You have to go back to the 2004 draft to find a top 5 QB pick with a ring, Eli Manning. He was hardly the driving factor in either of his SB wins. That was a NYG defense that help Brady and Co. to 17 and 14 points respectively.

Point being, you can get the ring by investing a top pick on a QB but the odds against it are very long. Personally I think if you can't get it done during their rookie contracts the chances drop even further.

Add to that the fact that our QB development has been fairly lacking and I'd say spending a top 5 pick on a QB in Denver is a monumental waste of draft capitol. In Denvers history I think we've only won 1 PO game with a QB we drafted.

Just sayin'.

I think people under-appreciate the impact of Brady taking such a pay cut has helped the Pats - in fact it has distorted the NFL to a degree for at least the past 5-6  years. You have a team with one of the best QBs ever who would be earning $20m-$25m extra this year if he was on any other team and the Pats have that money to invest in FAs and keep their top draft picks on the roster.

There is no way that the Pats would have been to 3 SBs in the past six years - winning 2 of them - without Brady's help with the salary cap. With the advent of the salary cap and free agency the days of winning multiple SBs over a short time frame are long gone. When you compare Payton Manning and Brady from 2009-2015 Manning was paid $27m more than Brady. In the same period Rothlesberger also earned more than Brady and Flacco almost earned the same amount and has another $50m since 2015. Brady is still behind Eli Manning in terms of career earnings.

It will be interesting to see what will happen next year when Brady's cap numbers jump from $14m - $22m - probably another re-structuring to get his cap numbers down to $15m for a guy who, given the way salaries have inflated, would not be out of place earning $37m (like Brees - another guy who earned more than Brady from 2009-2015 and $14m more than Brady in the last two years )

28 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

I think people under-appreciate the impact of Brady taking such a pay cut has helped the Pats - in fact it has distorted the NFL to a degree for at least the past 5-6  years. You have a team with one of the best QBs ever who would be earning $20m-$25m extra this year if he was on any other team and the Pats have that money to invest in FAs and keep their top draft picks on the roster.

There is no way that the Pats would have been to 3 SBs in the past six years - winning 2 of them - without Brady's help with the salary cap. With the advent of the salary cap and free agency the days of winning multiple SBs over a short time frame are long gone. When you compare Payton Manning and Brady from 2009-2015 Manning was paid $27m more than Brady. In the same period Rothlesberger also earned more than Brady and Flacco almost earned the same amount and has another $50m since 2015. Brady is still behind Eli Manning in terms of career earnings.

It will be interesting to see what will happen next year when Brady's cap numbers jump from $14m - $22m - probably another re-structuring to get his cap numbers down to $15m for a guy who, given the way salaries have inflated, would not be out of place earning $37m (like Brees - another guy who earned more than Brady from 2009-2015 and $14m more than Brady in the last two years )

And New England is the ine team that can afford franchise qb money cause BB is q genus finding valuable assets.

19 hours ago, AKRNA said:

So here's some interesting data. Since 2005 16 QB's have been taken in the top 5 of their drafts. They all have one thing in common. Not 1 SB ring. Now, did they make their teams better? It's about 50/50 there. The point, as UK mentioned is championships. There is absolutely nothing that would equate championships with top 5 drafted QB's.

You have to go back to the 2004 draft to find a top 5 QB pick with a ring, Eli Manning. He was hardly the driving factor in either of his SB wins. That was a NYG defense that help Brady and Co. to 17 and 14 points respectively.

Point being, you can get the ring by investing a top pick on a QB but the odds against it are very long. Personally I think if you can't get it done during their rookie contracts the chances drop even further.

Add to that the fact that our QB development has been fairly lacking and I'd say spending a top 5 pick on a QB in Denver is a monumental waste of draft capitol. In Denvers history I think we've only won 1 PO game with a QB we drafted.

Just sayin'.

Yea I agree to an extent thats because top 5 teams are usually terrible from the team to the culture. Franchise qbs in general have had success.

4 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Yea I agree to an extent thats because top 5 teams are usually terrible from the team to the culture. Franchise qbs in general have had success.

In a way you're making my point. "Franchise QB's" are much more likely to come from later picks and good coaching. than they are to come from a top 5 pick. Until we stabilize our culture, develop good clubhouse leadership, find an offensive identity and improve our OL IMO we'd be wasting a pick on a QB.

By several reports there's a rift in the locker room between the older guys, new guys and coaches. Kubiak, PM and Ware kept that from happening. Who'd we replace them with? VJ, Trevor and Von?

I'd think a drop off was to be expected.

I said this in the other thread but it bears repeating here. 

With Mac going to Indy and they having former-Patriot Jacoby Brissett on the roster, I think the chances Andrew Luck becomes available just got a lot better. We know how Mac needs to surround himself with Patriot Way guys and having Luck throw nothing but screens and dink-and-dunk is a waste of his talents. They could get a lot of picks in return which could be used to draft guys who would be loyal to Mac, something we all know he needs. 

4 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I said this in the other thread but it bears repeating here. 

With Mac going to Indy and they having former-Patriot Jacoby Brissett on the roster, I think the chances Andrew Luck becomes available just got a lot better. We know how Mac needs to surround himself with Patriot Way guys and having Luck throw nothing but screens and dink-and-dunk is a waste of his talents. They could get a lot of picks in return which could be used to draft guys who would be loyal to Mac, something we all know he needs. 

I heard that he prefers Tennessee, but both are solid jobs based on the QB situation. Tenn obviously much more talented across the board though 

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

In a way you're making my point. "Franchise QB's" are much more likely to come from later picks and good coaching. than they are to come from a top 5 pick. Until we stabilize our culture, develop good clubhouse leadership, find an offensive identity and improve our OL IMO we'd be wasting a pick on a QB.

By several reports there's a rift in the locker room between the older guys, new guys and coaches. Kubiak, PM and Ware kept that from happening. Who'd we replace them with? VJ, Trevor and Von?

I'd think a drop off was to be expected.

I'm not saying qb fixes all of the problem.  And I made the point the locker room wasn't intact last year. I do think landing a guy can help tremendously.  The team would become unified with a competent qb.

I'd also love to see musgrave develop a guy after his success with Carr. 

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

I saw that Mel Kiper had Allen going to the Browns at 1 lol. Could be amazing for us if that gains some hype 

The accuracy is definitely an issue.  The Senior Bowl will be big for Allen and Denver gets to coach him there, which is great.

The thing with Allen and why even after a down year he is still regarded as a potential #1 overall pick is the physical talent.  He’s probably the most physically gifted QB to enter the draft since Andrew Luck.  

Archived