Is the Qb situation good enough?

thebestever6

Here is a good WAPO article on why Kirk should be one of the highest paid QBs...he is in elite company on many important stats, I think. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2017/11/28/kirk-cousins-has-a-case-to-be-the-highest-paid-quarterback-in-the-nfl/?utm_term=.2fb216824d0a

He is ahead of Aaron Rodgers statistically since 2015.  Plus, he is a bona fide leader, which left the Broncos when Manning retired, then Ware.  

57 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Here is a good WAPO article on why Kirk should be one of the highest paid QBs...he is in elite company on many important stats, I think. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2017/11/28/kirk-cousins-has-a-case-to-be-the-highest-paid-quarterback-in-the-nfl/?utm_term=.2fb216824d0a

He is ahead of Aaron Rodgers statistically since 2015.  Plus, he is a bona fide leader, which left the Broncos when Manning retired, then Ware.  

Means nothing he doesn't pass the  eye test and finishes 3rd in an average division he doesn't win.

9 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Means nothing he doesn't pass the  eye test and finishes 3rd in an average division he doesn't win.

He doesn't pass the eye test? He doesn't win because his team mortgaged their entire future by trading the farm to draft a bust of a QB at 1.2 in HIS draft class.  

LOL at this comment. Absolute nonsense. 

43 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

He doesn't pass the eye test? He doesn't win because his team mortgaged their entire future by trading the farm to draft a bust of a QB at 1.2 in HIS draft class.  

LOL at this comment. Absolute nonsense. 

I think Kirk is worth the money, if you compare him to the current elite QBs.  And, it might have been you who mentioned all the aging QBs who will be retiring most likely over the next few years.  Makes sense to get him in, so the Broncos can be settled at that position and then begin building around him.  

I think Kirk is worth the money, if you compare him to the current elite QBs.  And, it might have been you who mentioned all the aging QBs who will be retiring most likely over the next few years.  Makes sense to get him in, so the Broncos can be settled at that position and then begin building around him.  

Exactly. Kirk is 29. That is not old for a QB. We could realistically be set for 7-8 years should he stay healthy. And his lack of snaps early on in WAS means his body has taken less wear/tear.

The idea of a 12-15 year type franchise QB is idealistic but uncommon. Unless that player is a HOF caliber talent, he isn't going to warrant such a long tenure in said city. And the percentages are drastically against our favor in terms of drafting a HOF QB at #5, in a draft where two, maybe even three, QB's are going to go before we pick.

The identity and leadership Kirk would bring, paired with his raw arm talent and ability to attack all three levels of the field would drastically improve this team overnight.

11 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Exactly. Kirk is 29. That is not old for a QB. We could realistically be set for 7-8 years should he stay healthy. And his lack of snaps early on in WAS means his body has taken less wear/tear.

The idea of a 12-15 year type franchise QB is idealistic but uncommon. Unless that player is a HOF caliber talent, he isn't going to warrant such a long tenure in said city. And the percentages are drastically against our favor in terms of drafting a HOF QB at #5, in a draft where two, maybe even three, QB's are going to go before we pick.

The identity and leadership Kirk would bring, paired with his raw arm talent and ability to attack all three levels of the field would drastically improve this team overnight.

Good points...especially about the early snaps.  And, there is no risk. Sure there is a risk that we miss on Josh Allen who might be the next Rothlesberger, or gunslinger type Favre, but those guys haven't won a great amount of Super Bowls. 

The Broncos get Kirk, and that pick can be used on Kirkpatrick or Nelson..

14 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

Kirk has a mental conditioning coach and he watched all of the Star Wars films not for leisure but for the process. #trusttheprocess #mindovermatter #jedimindtricks I'm sold ferreals!

And here, Captain Kirk was in an entirely other space show!  Nevertheless, use the force Kirk...go to Denver. 

4 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

This is laughable. The NFC East was regarded as an "average" division, for all of one year. Let's talk about how Cousins entire line got hurt, his top weapons got hurt or let go to other teams, and by the way, they can't build a team. 

That Kirk Cousins is able to win games with the offensive group of Samaje Perine, Ryan Grant, Josh Doctson, and Jamison Crowder is pretty impressive. By the way, the Redskins mortgaged the future to draft RG3, costing the team draft capital, but they just so happened to get Cousins.

We can debate the merits of whether spending $30MM on Cousins is wise, but the idea that he's not a good QB is a joke. He's one of the 10-12 best QBs in football.

52 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

This is laughable. The NFC East was regarded as an "average" division, for all of one year. Let's talk about how Cousins entire line got hurt, his top weapons got hurt or let go to other teams, and by the way, they can't build a team. 

That Kirk Cousins is able to win games with the offensive group of Samaje Perine, Ryan Grant, Josh Doctson, and Jamison Crowder is pretty impressive. By the way, the Redskins mortgaged the future to draft RG3, costing the team draft capital, but they just so happened to get Cousins.

We can debate the merits of whether spending $30MM on Cousins is wise, but the idea that he's not a good QB is a joke. He's one of the 10-12 best QBs in football.

Oh yea let's omit Christian Thompson arguably the best 3rd down back in the game. Or lets forget about week 17 1 td and 3 ints against a team that packed it in I'm sick of the excuses for kirk.

3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Oh yea let's omit Christian Thompson arguably the best 3rd down back in the game. Or lets forget about week 17 1 td and 3 ints against a team that packed it in I'm sick of the excuses for kirk.

Well you bring up Thompson and then mention week 17, in which Thompson wasnt playing....

You seem like the one with a vendetta against him.   The merits of paying him $30 million can be debated but Kirk isn't some scrub like you're making him out to be.  

Just now, broncofan48 said:

Well you bring up Thompson and then mention week 17, in which Thompson wasnt playing....

You seem like the one with a vendetta against him.   The merits of paying him $30 million can be debated but Kirk isn't some scrub like you're making him out to be.  

I'm not making him a scrub he's a borderline top 10 qb who has had good offensive coaching his whole career. He's also put up great stats yet hasn't won.  I think the rg3 trade is an excuse its rare qbs win the superbowl making 20+ mill I've seen nothing he'll reverse that trend.

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

To me that's the whole debate. I'm not completely sure where I stand on it either. I've read some pretty compelling arguments both for and against.

4 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I'm not making him a scrub he's a borderline top 10 qb who has had good offensive coaching his whole career. He's also put up great stats yet hasn't won.  I think the rg3 trade is an excuse its rare qbs win the superbowl making 20+ mill I've seen nothing he'll reverse that trend.

You've compared him to Andy Dalton multiple times thats closer to scrub than borderline top 10.  And the trade up for RG3 most definitely  set the Skins back as far as getting a competent roster.  Now as far as paying Cousins a bunch, I'm on the fence about it.  He did say money isn't the end all be all, but could be just saying to the FO he will sign the tag if they apply it and play for $34Mil.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/30/kirk-cousins-wants-to-win-and-find-the-right-team-he-can-help-win/

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Brady - 40

Big Ben -  35

Brees - 39

Rodgers - 34

Rivers - 36

These guys are all gonna be gone soon, Cousins could step in and fill the void.  Who knows how Luck will be, and most of the good young QBs are in the NFC.  Yea $30mil is a lot and Elway will have to draft exceptionally well to get value and strengthen the team without the money to go after FAs.  But unless he starts drafting markedly better than he has it wont matter who is QB

Archived