Is the Qb situation good enough?

thebestever6

25 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

You guys are absolutely viewing this the wrong way. Von is the definition of a franchise player. He was drafted, developed, and led the team to a SB victory. He was and is the face of the franchise. You have to keep those guys for so many reasons. You know why Bill Belichick never pays those guys? Because outside of Brady/Gronk- he never HAD those guys, especially defensively.

It's also time to stop talking about the Patriots in this way. They have the best QB ever to play purposely taking a lesser salary. The stars have aligned for them. They have the best coach of all time. When we have those things, the comparisons will be valid.

We paid a premium for Von, because he commanded a premium. We did not pay a premium for Thomas. We paid exactly what he was worth, because he was an elite WR, and then the QB play fell off a cliff. There are some contractual things that I think we could do better, but there's a reason Denver is and has been a FA destination, and it's because the organization treats its players the right way and doesn't just cut bait. The problem is signing guys like Sanders, Marshall, et al. to large contracts for play that is average. You get burned doing that, you don't get burned paying your stars. You also get burned when you can't draft worth a damn and have to resort to FA as the way forward. That's where Denver is at now.

The idea of trading Von Miller is just baffling to me. Broncos fans have gotten so wildly reactive. This isn't Madden. Teams can be rebuilt with smart drafting and personnel decisions. For 3 years Elway punted those responsibilities and instead zeroed in on individual players at certain positions. Telegraphing picks is only smart when it works, but not accumulating talent across the board bites you every time.

And that my friend is why I love this forum!!!

14 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Von's deal didn't cripple the franchise, that's a Fox Sports-caliber hot take. The other three deals that year (Marshall, Sanders, Stewart) + terrible drafts crippled the franchise. Two average players and an aging #2 WR with no QB. Hindsight 20/20 because we all overestimated the value of Marshall and Stewart. Paying non-blue chip players kills teams, but you pay your best players what they're worth. 

Facts. Hit on Cody Latimer and you don't have to pay Sanders. Put some value into ILB and you don't have to pay Marshall. We all know why this team is ugly rn and it's not Von Miller. 

S/O to Darian who is very good in my eyes. But yeah don't really need to be paying him at this point. 

I think there is hope that Marshall bounces back and Darian was still quite good last season. Scheme and the coaching change didn't help. Lets hope they can bounce back. I still don't see the Stewart deal as bad. On the other hand its clear we paid the wrong ILB but there is still hope for Brandon.

And all Manny needs is a QB. I think he is gone, but his career will bounce back. He is all motivation based and two (Actually three) years of bad QB play took its toll. Some can handle it, he cant. Get him a real QB and he can become an elite #2 again.

23 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Facts. Hit on Cody Latimer and you don't have to pay Sanders. Put some value into ILB and you don't have to pay Marshall. We all know why this team is ugly rn and it's not Von Miller. 

S/O to Darian who is very good in my eyes. But yeah don't really need to be paying him at this point. 

Let's face it...we all thought Marshall should have been paid based on his production the year prior to his new deal.  He didn't fair well with Trev gone...how do you fix that?  Find another Trev...f***ck go trade for Trev! 

I like Darian...I think he is a tone setter for the defense and is very opportunistic...I think you need him pared with Simmons.  

This year, Darian Stewart looked like the player we all expected when he was signed in 2015, he was the clear weak link in the secondary. Too many big plays over the top that he had no chance of getting to, a total liability covering guys one on one. Yes, he's an asset in run defense but no more than TJ ever was and no more than Stewart had been the prior two years as a free safety. I would say Simmons is a better fit at strong safety because he's athletic enough to cover guys one-on-one, but why sacrifice the range and speed that make him such a great fit as a single-high safety? The problem is with our corners being so great, our strong safety is exposed to more plays than our free safety. 

I get why everyone loves Stewart,  he lays some awesome hits and it's fun to see the way he attacks screens and the run game, but he was exposed in a big way last year and he'll be 30 this season. He's just a guy at this point. 

We also paid the wrong DE, but waiting as long as they did to pay Wolfe there's no way Malik could have been had for that price. Malik should have been paid in camp that year. 

How much cap has Elway wasted paying guys months later than he should have? It's a valid concern. 

10 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

We also paid the wrong DE, but waiting as long as they did to pay Wolfe there's no way Malik could have been had for that price. Malik should have been paid in camp that year. 

How much cap has Elway wasted paying guys months later than he should have? It's a valid concern. 

Valid point. Malik is a better player at this point as far as I can tell.

We should probably rip on the McManus contract more. A bad team in high altitude paying a kicker is insane. Let's develop another guy

Just now, champ11 said:

We should probably rip on the McManus contract more. A bad team in high altitude paying a kicker is insane. Let's develop another guy

Yeah, the McManus contract is just silly. Post June 1st, they can save 2.5 million with minimal dead money by cutting him. Not sure they will, but at least it's an easy contract to get out of. 

Well Wolfe was also willing to sign on a discount, was more proven and had not yet shown a injury bug. At the time it was the correct decision. Malik was always planning on testing the waters. He wanted to get as much as possible.

Its great to get guys to sign early, before they know their true market value, but that isn't the reality of this leagues economics. Agents are always going to steer their players towards testing the waters, and in most cases that's the right decision for the player too.

80%+ of players will want to test the FA market coming off their rookie deals. This is a violent sport, it may be their only chance to get paid.

Archived