Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
J-ALL-DAY

Solomon Thomas - Finally Signs Rookie Contract

Recommended Posts

On 7/28/2017 at 8:57 PM, y2lamanaki said:

Same here (obviously). Alvin Kamara might be the only offensive rookie around the league for whom I'm more excited. Among non-49ers, of course. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Knowledge said:

Is this the thread where we complain about Thomas? 

Nothing to complain about. Awful pass rusher from the edge. Could have potential as an interior rusher, but we don't really give him enough opportunity to build on it and see. Seems like he's on his way to bustsville as a top three pick. Seems like a rotational defensive lineman at the NFL at this point as he can't get to the quarterback.  

There should be major concern that he's shown pretty much zero growth from last year so far as we can tell at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Being something of a tweener, could it be that he just needs another season or two to add the required muscle and strength to make an impact? I remember he drew some comparisons to Justin Smith coming out and he Justin played his best ball at age 30+. Granted Thomas probably won't turn into Justin Smith, he's still just 23 so we should allow him some time to grow into himself. 

Edited by evilflamingo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Solly needs to play inside only, and at this point we should let him get as much experience as possible. He's good against the run that's about but has great effort. For being a top 3 pick tho you expect more polished production. If we end up with Bosa will fix all dline issues.

Edited by 49erurtaza

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, evilflamingo said:

Being something of a tweener, could it be that he just needs another season or two to add the required muscle and strength to make an impact? I remember he drew some comparisons to Justin Smith coming out and he Justin played his best ball at age 30+. Granted Thomas probably won't turn into Justin Smith, he's still just 23 so we should allow him some time to grow into himself. 

But that wouldn't be any good because we run a different scheme than when Justin Smith was here. He was a 3-4 end compared to a 4-3 end for Thomas. They have very different roles in their respective defensive schemes. Thomas was 273 at the combine, and we can assume he's probably a little heavier at this point, and that is perfectly fine. Even at 273 that would have been okay (especially as a leo). Justin Smith played as a 4-3 end when he was drafted by the Bengals, and he weighed slightly under 270 pounds at that time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Forge said:

But that wouldn't be any good because we run a different scheme than when Justin Smith was here. He was a 3-4 end compared to a 4-3 end for Thomas. They have very different roles in their respective defensive schemes. Thomas was 273 at the combine, and we can assume he's probably a little heavier at this point, and that is perfectly fine. Even at 273 that would have been okay (especially as a leo). Justin Smith played as a 4-3 end when he was drafted by the Bengals, and he weighed slightly under 270 pounds at that time. 

Well aware, buddy, and not saying he becomes Justin Smith. Just that if he doesn't have that explosive first step, he likely need to get by on strength and technique instead, and he might need a couple of years to grow into that. I agree with what the others have said that we should give him more snaps from the inside, especially on passing downs.

I hate giving up on early draft picks too early and will continue to hope that Thomas can turn it around and become a productive player for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

^can we not just play him at AA spot next year? assuming we can find a leo? 

My own personal ideal situation? I would sign a pass rusher in free agency that I could use in a rotational role but has something of a proven history of getting to the quarterback. There are a few that are really intriguing that wouldn't break the bank, I think. I had no interest in Ziggy Ansah because he can't stay on the field, and he's struggling to do so again this year, but if I could get him on one year 10 million I'd probably take that shot this year. Brandon Graham may be available. Dee Ford is a free agent. Not sure how the Chiefs feel about him - they have the space to re-sign him if they want (they will have roughly about 50 million in space) and keep Houston if they want. But he may not have the biggest market due to some injury concerns and incconsistency, though he's having a monster season. Maybe someone like Fowler. There are intriguing guys available. 

Anyway, I'd sign one of those guys, then also draft my top rated edge rusher in the first round. On base downs, I'd go with a rotation of largely AA - Buck - Mitchell / Jones - Thomas. That is a stout line against the rush. Then on second / third down passing situations, I'd bring in whoever we signed (Ziggy / Fowler / whoever) and the rookie (Bosa? Polite? Ferrell? Sweat?) on the edges, kick Thomas inside, and have a line of FA signing - Buck / Day - Thomas / AA - Rookie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Forge said:

My own personal ideal situation? I would sign a pass rusher in free agency that I could use in a rotational role but has something of a proven history of getting to the quarterback. There are a few that are really intriguing that wouldn't break the bank, I think. I had no interest in Ziggy Ansah because he can't stay on the field, and he's struggling to do so again this year, but if I could get him on one year 10 million I'd probably take that shot this year. Brandon Graham may be available. Dee Ford is a free agent. Not sure how the Chiefs feel about him - they have the space to re-sign him if they want (they will have roughly about 50 million in space) and keep Houston if they want. But he may not have the biggest market due to some injury concerns and incconsistency, though he's having a monster season. Maybe someone like Fowler. There are intriguing guys available. 

Anyway, I'd sign one of those guys, then also draft my top rated edge rusher in the first round. On base downs, I'd go with a rotation of largely AA - Buck - Mitchell / Jones - Thomas. That is a stout line against the rush. Then on second / third down passing situations, I'd bring in whoever we signed (Ziggy / Fowler / whoever) and the rookie (Bosa? Polite? Ferrell? Sweat?) on the edges, kick Thomas inside, and have a line of FA signing - Buck / Day - Thomas / AA - Rookie. 

I'd do that and still add more pass-rushers. Possibly someone who can play SAM/LEO. I know Josh Allen won't last until the second, but If he dropped to early 20's, i'd trade up for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PPPPPOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

PPPPPOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Where do you think he lands in the draft?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, John232 said:

Where do you think he lands in the draft?

 Not the right person to ask. Barely have seen a couple of prospects and didn't know of Polite until two games ago. I asked about him, and was surprised to hear he wasn't even playing much last year and was projected in the 2nd round. The 2nd round projection I saw was before this season though. So he must have flashed last year to get that type of projection when he wasn't even starting. But the last two games that I have seen of him? I like...A LOT. Uses his hands well, is explosive and is able to bend. Was all over the backfield on Saturday. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Forge said:

My own personal ideal situation? I would sign a pass rusher in free agency that I could use in a rotational role but has something of a proven history of getting to the quarterback. There are a few that are really intriguing that wouldn't break the bank, I think. I had no interest in Ziggy Ansah because he can't stay on the field, and he's struggling to do so again this year, but if I could get him on one year 10 million I'd probably take that shot this year. Brandon Graham may be available. Dee Ford is a free agent. Not sure how the Chiefs feel about him - they have the space to re-sign him if they want (they will have roughly about 50 million in space) and keep Houston if they want. But he may not have the biggest market due to some injury concerns and incconsistency, though he's having a monster season. Maybe someone like Fowler. There are intriguing guys available. 

Anyway, I'd sign one of those guys, then also draft my top rated edge rusher in the first round. On base downs, I'd go with a rotation of largely AA - Buck - Mitchell / Jones - Thomas. That is a stout line against the rush. Then on second / third down passing situations, I'd bring in whoever we signed (Ziggy / Fowler / whoever) and the rookie (Bosa? Polite? Ferrell? Sweat?) on the edges, kick Thomas inside, and have a line of FA signing - Buck / Day - Thomas / AA - Rookie. 

Fowler is my pick...heck trade for him now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×