Solomon Thomas - Finally Signs Rookie Contract

J-ALL-DAY

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 5:57 PM, y2lamanaki said:

Same here (obviously). Alvin Kamara might be the only offensive rookie around the league for whom I'm more excited. Among non-49ers, of course. 

File this one under posts that aged well. Good stuff. Its a shame we didn't just draft the damn guy with our high third rather than trading it for a very low 2018 2nd. 

Kamara >>>>>> Dante Pettis 

that's before we traded up for pettis and gave up additional draft capital... what a freaking horrible trade that was

Solomon Thomas seems like the perfect 34 DE. He could probably even play NT in that scheme as well. Unless he is playing NT with Buckner at UT in our 43, I don't think he fits in anywhere else. 

If he is in the long term plans, we owe it to him to play him on the inside more frequently than we are now. Hes simply not an edge player and its going to hinder his development. 

1 minute ago, N4L said:

File this one under posts that aged well. Good stuff. Its a shame we didn't just draft the damn guy with our high third rather than trading it for a very low 2018 2nd. 

Kamara >>>>>> Dante Pettis 

that's before we traded up for pettis and gave up additional draft capital... what a freaking horrible trade that was

Solomon Thomas seems like the perfect 34 DE. He could probably even play NT in that scheme as well. Unless he is playing NT with Buckner at UT in our 43, I don't think he fits in anywhere else. 

If he is in the long term plans, we owe it to him to play him on the inside more frequently than we are now. Hes simply not an edge player and its going to hinder his development. 

At this point, it just feels like Saleh doesn't know how to use his pieces well. We all know Thomas is a better inside rusher, yet he doesn't even get on the field on 3rd downs. It's not like we have a group of talented pass rushers blocking him! Our defense has taken a pretty drastic step backward so far this year and with largely the same players, this feels like it's on the coaches. 

2 minutes ago, N4L said:

I don't know how you can even Judge Pettis at this point. way too early. Kamara also went to a contending team. Just apples and oranges. 

Solly has no business playing gap controlling 5/6 tech at all(3-4 DE). This is suppose to be the perfect scheme for Solly. I thought he was at his best, playing the Michael Bennett Role.  Penetrating on the strong side and turning plays up field, then on nickel downs, doing hte same thing from the inside. I still think those are his best traits, but they're not great and he has a horrible time with double teams still. Solly, as of now, is just not good at really anything except instances where he can flash his athleticism, which is far and few between. He's a complete non-factor and one of the biggest busts in team history so far. 

4 hours ago, evilflamingo said:

Being something of a tweener, could it be that he just needs another season or two to add the required muscle and strength to make an impact? I remember he drew some comparisons to Justin Smith coming out and he Justin played his best ball at age 30+. Granted Thomas probably won't turn into Justin Smith, he's still just 23 so we should allow him some time to grow into himself. 

Don't recall seeing him compared to Cowboy as a prospect but that seems sort of a lazy comparison. My comp for Thomas has always been Everson Griffin. Very similar athleticism and physical build as prospects. And Griffin's first 3 years in the league we're very pedestrian, stat wise. As a person who really wanted Thomas@#3 overall, the lack of production is starting to creep some doubt in my mind. I knew it would take him some time to learn to play on the outside and become a better player technique wise, but the things I like about him as a prospect haven't carried over to the pro game and he seems like a JAG far too often for my liking. My concern about him is growing....

I worry that this team draft Thomas with the actual thought he could be a full time LEO. I don't think they did given they haven't left him at one spot. But man, what a total disaster that situation turned into. 

I'd still love to have Corey Davis or Lattimore right now. 

2 minutes ago, John232 said:

I don't know how you can even Judge Pettis at this point. way too early. Kamara also went to a contending team. Just apples and oranges.

The jury is still out on Pettis, but we KNOW that Kamara is an elite talent at the position, who is probably going to be a perennial pro-bowler, if not an all-pro. 

Yes, he is on an offense that gets the most out of their players, but his individual talent is undeniable. The guy has the best balance I've ever seen. 

I don't think it is really something you can argue.. 

Kamara will probably end up with more career catches than Pettis LOL Kamara has 116 catches for 1160 yards in 20 career games... and a large chunk of that is when he was the third guy off of the bench (he has 1000 yards rushing in his career for those who are curious)

20 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Don't recall seeing him compared to Cowboy as a prospect but that seems sort of a lazy comparison. My comp for Thomas has always been Everson Griffin. Very similar athleticism and physical build as prospects. And Griffin's first 3 years in the league we're very pedestrian, stat wise. As a person who really wanted Thomas@#3 overall, the lack of production is starting to creep some doubt in my mind. I knew it would take him some time to learn to play on the outside and become a better player technique wise, the things I like about him as a prospect haven't carried over to the pro game and he seems like a JAG far too often for my liking. My concern about him is growing....

Think it was on NFL.com, also saw some Aaron Donald and Michael Bennett so I guess it wasn't exactly any clean-cut comparisons for him. I don't watch any college ball so couldn't make up any opinion of my own. 

6 minutes ago, John232 said:

I worry that this team draft Thomas with the actual thought he could be a full time LEO. I don't think they did given they haven't left him at one spot. But man, what a total disaster that situation turned into. 

I'd still love to have Corey Davis or Lattimore right now. 

Was not a fan of taking a WR so I'm good w/o Davis but I'd add Hooker & Adams to the list as well....

Does anybody else wonder if drafting Stanford-type guys backfires too often? That is, somebody like Solly might not be fully invested in the NFL because he has too many intellectual interests elsewhere? Sherman is certainly educated and very smart and he has had an amazing career, so it's not like this case applies to all Stanford guys. But if you have many other opportunities in life (as a Stanford degree would hand you), might it be difficult to be 100% invested in such a brutal career? Owen Marecic is a good example. Why contIinually destroy your body when you could take the easy way out? I don't think it's a stretch to say that guys who don't have as many career opportunities are likely to be more dedicated to the NFL. I mean, it's not like Frank Gore was trying to decide between the NFL and medical school...

10 minutes ago, struby3 said:

Does anybody else wonder if drafting Stanford-type guys backfires too often? That is, somebody like Solly might not be fully invested in the NFL because he has too many intellectual interests elsewhere? Sherman is certainly educated and very smart and he has had an amazing career, so it's not like this case applies to all Stanford guys. But if you have many other opportunities in life (as a Stanford degree would hand you), might it be difficult to be 100% invested in such a brutal career? Owen Marecic is a good example. Why contIinually destroy your body when you could take the easy way out? I don't think it's a stretch to say that guys who don't have as many career opportunities are likely to be more dedicated to the NFL. I mean, it's not like Frank Gore was trying to decide between the NFL and medical school...

I've actually had this thought regarding Stanford players busting out at an abnormally high rate, but I don't have any data to support it. I feel like it's just more notable in this forum because it seems like so many 49er fans love stanford products. But honestly, I don't think it's that bad. Yes you have some high bust rate guys - Johnathan Martin, Joshua Garnett, Thomas has not gotten off to a good start, Colby Fleener was a bust. It should even be noted that guys such as DeCastro and Ertz took a few years to really get going.  But if you look over the last few years, they've had quite a few hits. I think Luck is legit. Obviously, the arm may be gone now, but you can't project for injuries, but what he has done with such a bad team surrounding him, paticularly in the early years, deserves more praise. Blake Martinez - a stanford product I actually loved - is a tackling machine for the Packers. Peat had to be moved inside to guard and has injury issues, but has been solid at guard. CMC is obviously legit. Montgomery carved out a nice niche in Green Bay, and I think Murphy was actually a solid nfl player who was betrayed by his body. 

All in all, it's really the offensive line where I'm a little leery. As I said, Decastro took a couple of years to get right. Martin, Garnett were / have been busts.Peat did have to be moved into the interior, which is not what you want from a guy you draft in top 15. Mid round picks from the line haven't even really worked out as depth guys. David Yankey. Cam Fleming. This could be mainly because of the scheme stanford runs which is basically NFL like, it's maxing out the prospects when they are ready to be drafted. Part of a player's upside comes from thinking how much better they will get when they actually learn to play the position rather than just relying on overwhelming athleticism or freakish physical traits. But stanford offensive linemen already know how to play the position, so you're not getting as much upside in that regard as you are from other schools. But that's just a theory. 

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

There was a snap early in the 2nd half where he backed the guard right in Rosen's face, how was that not a pressure?

But 8 interior rushes sucks. I'm just not sure what is going on anymore. 

Neither does Saleh. I hate when uneducated fans can see the writing on the wall with something like the pass-rush, but the Coaching staff gets too cute and thinks they can overcome talent deficits.  

Archived