Solomon Thomas - Finally Signs Rookie Contract

J-ALL-DAY

9 minutes ago, John232 said:

Neither does Saleh. I hate when uneducated fans can see the writing on the wall with something like the pass-rush, but the Coaching staff gets too cute and thinks they can overcome talent deficits.  

I think the staff suffers from hubris more than anything else. They deny the evidence that they do not have the right talent in place, or have the right talent in the wrong place, and think they can scheme performance and success. Saleh has deserved little for than a F+ for his coaching performance so far. It's just awful, and I wonder if people within the organization are aware of what's going on, or if they too deny the evidence. Is it that they don't want to admit that Saleh wasn't the right man for the job just yet? At the end of the year, I'd love for Saleh to be let go, and for Kyle and John to come out at the end of year presser and say that they thought they could succeed with the players in place, but they were wrong, and they will make important changes. Stop wasting time with guys like Marsh, and playing Thomas outside, let Armstead go, because he's just good enough to take reps away from Solly, who could use them to get better. Next year, let Solly and Buck terrorize opponents from the inside, and bring in more talented and explosive pass rushers on the edge. Something has to be done.

18 minutes ago, John232 said:

Neither does Saleh. I hate when uneducated fans can see the writing on the wall with something like the pass-rush, but the Coaching staff gets too cute and thinks they can overcome talent deficits.  

I whole-heartedly feel that Saleh thinks he needs exotic looks to make his defense work. Yes, we do not have an outside pass rush, but how in the hell can you not line up Thomas, Armstead, and Bucker and have them rush the interior consistently? Saleh is too busy trying to figure out to drop Earl Mitchell into coverage more often 9_9

He’s young. I remember when we drafted Balmer people ripped on him at first but D linemen usually show their development in year 3. 

Oh no.....  but really I think Thomas will be fine as an interior lineman. But never gonna be a great pass rusher. But will push the pocket from the inside and be great against the run. With Buckner next to him and an edge rusher I think were all loving Thomas. If the expectation is he’s a high sack guy from the edge, we can give up on him now. 

17 hours ago, Forge said:

I've actually had this thought regarding Stanford players busting out at an abnormally high rate, but I don't have any data to support it. I feel like it's just more notable in this forum because it seems like so many 49er fans love stanford products. But honestly, I don't think it's that bad. Yes you have some high bust rate guys - Johnathan Martin, Joshua Garnett, Thomas has not gotten off to a good start, Colby Fleener was a bust. It should even be noted that guys such as DeCastro and Ertz took a few years to really get going.  But if you look over the last few years, they've had quite a few hits. I think Luck is legit. Obviously, the arm may be gone now, but you can't project for injuries, but what he has done with such a bad team surrounding him, paticularly in the early years, deserves more praise. Blake Martinez - a stanford product I actually loved - is a tackling machine for the Packers. Peat had to be moved inside to guard and has injury issues, but has been solid at guard. CMC is obviously legit. Montgomery carved out a nice niche in Green Bay, and I think Murphy was actually a solid nfl player who was betrayed by his body

All in all, it's really the offensive line where I'm a little leery. As I said, Decastro took a couple of years to get right. Martin, Garnett were / have been busts.Peat did have to be moved into the interior, which is not what you want from a guy you draft in top 15. Mid round picks from the line haven't even really worked out as depth guys. David Yankey. Cam Fleming. This could be mainly because of the scheme stanford runs which is basically NFL like, it's maxing out the prospects when they are ready to be drafted. Part of a player's upside comes from thinking how much better they will get when they actually learn to play the position rather than just relying on overwhelming athleticism or freakish physical traits. But stanford offensive linemen already know how to play the position, so you're not getting as much upside in that regard as you are from other schools. But that's just a theory. 

Eh, I think Fleener could possibly be in the same boat here. Sure, he wasn't all he was hyped to be (Still a helluva lot better than our 1st rounder that year...I don't even need to name him!) but couldn't that be attributed at least in part to the concussions? Several of them!

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Eh, I think Fleener could possibly be in the same boat here. Sure, he wasn't all he was hyped to be (Still a helluva lot better than our 1st rounder that year...I don't even need to name him!) but couldn't that be attributed at least in part to the concussions? Several of them!

I just thought Fleener wasn't that good even when healthy, though any chance at changing that around was completely derailed by the concussions for sure. Murphy is also still playing, and still playing well (2.5 sacks so far this season). 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

So I decided to compare height/weight of Thomas to Aaron Donald. Come to find out Thomas is taller but they are the same weight 280? I understand Day has a role as an interior pass rusher but why can't we just play Thomas beside Buck at all times?

On early downs, against the run, it's fine if he's on the edge. He holds it down well and stands strong against the run. That's fine for me. The problem to me is that he's basically the same player as armstead. He's simply not a pass rusher at this point. While he's better on the interior, I still don't know that he's very good at it. Last night, for example, I noticed just about everyone but him on the line. Yeah, he had that really weak sack early on, but otherwise, just sort of meh. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

On early downs, against the run, it's fine if he's on the edge. He holds it down well and stands strong against the run. That's fine for me. The problem to me is that he's basically the same player as armstead. He's simply not a pass rusher at this point. While he's better on the interior, I still don't know that he's very good at it. Last night, for example, I noticed just about everyone but him on the line. Yeah, he had that really weak sack early on, but otherwise, just sort of meh. 

But how many interior rushes did he get? It's like beating a dead horse at this point. All his rushes to me seemed like they were from the edge. Very few inside rushes unless he got them late in the game when I started paying a bit less attention to the game. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

yeah at first i was confused at how he got a sack as they announced it right after Buckner had just sacked Carr but thomas wasn't anywhere near the play.

I guess like everyone else I'm getting impatient with how he's progressing/be used since he was the #3 pick. 

19 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But how many interior rushes did he get? It's like beating a dead horse at this point. All his rushes to me seemed like they were from the edge. Very few inside rushes unless he got them late in the game when I started paying a bit less attention to the game. 

Fair to say, because I mostly continue to watch him rush from the outside as well. Though just in general, I never tend to notice him in games that much even on the limited snaps inside. Now granted, those snaps are so limited that it may not be fair to judge him based on that because you're really not giving him enough to flash out any, but man, he reeks of JAG right now. I'm actually really curious as to whether or not we view Day as the better interior pass rusher. If they do, Thomas becomes super superfluous in this system and we are basically just keeping him around as a depth / rotational piece. I don't think the team will shop him - I think that they would be unwilling to call it quits on him so early in his career after spending the #3 overall pick on him, but I would absolutely understand the impetus to do so. If I could land Conley + a piece for Thomas, I really would give this some thought at this point in time if we are going to continue to use him in only this way. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

How has ST looked since coming into the league? I remember that class appearing to be not so strong so when you guys took Solomon Thomas I was fine spending #4 of Fournette but really wanted Thomas. 

Buuuuuuuuuuuuust.

Can still turn it around obviously, but at the current point in time, definitely bust trajectory. He's a rotational run stopping dlineman who can't pass rush

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Buuuuuuuuuuuuust.

Can still turn it around obviously, but at the current point in time, definitely bust trajectory. He's a rotational run stopping dlineman who can't pass rush

Ugh, sorry to hear. That seemed to be the biggest knock was he seemed like a LDE that would be great against the run but maybe never a good pass rusher 

On 11/17/2018 at 4:00 PM, Forge said:

Buuuuuuuuuuuuust.

Too quick to judge, IMO. Truly, there is a logjam at the interior on this team with a dearth of talent on the exterior on our D-line. 

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Too quick to judge, IMO. Truly, there is a logjam at the interior on this team with a dearth of talent on the exterior on our D-line. 

He can still turn it around, as I said, but his current play and station is absolutely that of a major bust. There's also no real reason to assume that he will turn it around (at least for us) in truth. 

Archived