Brian Gutekunst to become Packers GM

deltarich87

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Not sure I'm buying anything from the Milwaukee media right now as it pertains to our FO. Russ Ball was our guy according to them all week.

To be fair, I think most of this came from McGinn moreso than the JS/PackersNews beat writers. McGinn was the only one who felt comfortable running with it, yet he somehow did not have know ahead of time that Thompson would go or that Gutekunst would be hired.

As far as what opinion around the league has been, there's this article from last year:

“It’s been Gutekunst for two weeks,” said one source close to the 49ers’ search. “He killed that interview. The owner says he’s Scot McCloughan without the drinking problem.”

Just now, Pugger said:

And Ball the money guy and everything is good.  :)

Sounds like a game plan....I'm in! :)

Actually - I hope Ball does stick around to keep an eye on the $$$. I consider it a valuable function and think GB (perhaps moreso than our major competitors) needs to be sharp not just with talent evaluations - but monetary decisions.

I like the hire. I would've been happy with him or Wolf. I hope Wolf stays for a season or two. He will be a GM soon. I don't agree that McGinn has anything to do with the Milwaukee media. He doesn't work for the J-S and he doesn't live in Milwaukee.

26 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

i rescind my comment, you know intimately what a troll job is.

unless you lack self-awareness, too

Schneider, McKenzie, DeCosta, Paton. All requests were denied. You guys are fools if you  don't think those guys, especially Schneider and McKenzie, wouldn't have gotten the job if they were available.

Just now, Slinky said:

Schneider, McKenzie, DeCosta, Paton. All requests were denied. You guys are fools if you  don't think those guys, especially Schneider and McKenzie, wouldn't have gotten the job if they were available.

But if the requests are denied, that did you expect Murphy to do??

3 minutes ago, Striker said:

A good move imo. He seems to have been more 'in-demand' than Wolf was, and likely keeps everyone in-house happy.

I don't understand the complaints re: the Packers staying in-house. McKenzie/Dorsey/Schneider have all shown different strategies and approaches despite all coming from Green Bay. 

People have said he was the Packer's 6th choice and hence....how good can he be? Just kidding! I think he will be fine. I will raise a YUGE warning/caution flag in that don't expect a lot of high profile FA activity. He'll probably be more active than TT, but he's not going to pay extra just to get these guys to Green Bay.

2 minutes ago, Slinky said:

yeah, cleveland would be stupid not to draft Aaron Rodgers this year.

5 minutes ago, VicPez said:

As far as what opinion around the league has been, there's this article from last year:

“It’s been Gutekunst for two weeks,” said one source close to the 49ers’ search. “He killed that interview. The owner says he’s Scot McCloughan without the drinking problem.”

Cool

Archived