Brian Gutekunst to become Packers GM

deltarich87

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Those might be good options, but what's to keep us from raiding some other teams.  Supposedly there are some guys behind John Schneider that are highly though of .. go steal one of them.

I thought everyone was high on Sam Seale, John Wojciechowski, and Jon-Eric Sullivan?

The scouting pool is fine. Fact was we were going to lose either Wolf or Gutekunst. Highsmith was the wildcard but with so many GM with Green Bay ties the fact of the matter is we are going to have turn over. Interesting to see when we start poaching from Seattle and Oakland and KC and now Cleveland. Give their up and comers bigger roles here.

54 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I thought everyone was high on Sam Seale, John Wojciechowski, and Jon-Eric Sullivan?

The scouting pool is fine. Fact was we were going to lose either Wolf or Gutekunst. Highsmith was the wildcard but with so many GM with Green Bay ties the fact of the matter is we are going to have turn over. Interesting to see when we start poaching from Seattle and Oakland and KC and now Cleveland. Give their up and comers bigger roles here.

I like that idea. It's about time we poached some other teams scouting talent.

1 hour ago, Ketchup said:
1 hour ago, JBURGE25 said:

Well one thing was that when we lost McKenzie, Schneider and Dorsey we had up and comers like Wolf and Gutekunst. Now what

Who says we don't have up and comers behind Wolf and Gute? Let me ask you, had you ever heard of Gute or Highsmith before those three left? Doubt it. And only reason anyone heard of Wolf was his last name.

Just let me be bitter

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Those might be good options, but what's to keep us from raiding some other teams.......go steal one of them.

Not exactly an exact quote - but the essence of one - and I agree. We dont need to be the only team being picked apart or reliant on people who've worked with GB since High School. Go target some top talent and raid it!

I knew Gute wouldn't work out. MM doesn't use the running backs he has. Obviously no communication between the two already. Somebody needs to tell Murphy and get this whole thing straightened out. Fricken dumpster fire. All he needed to do was go sign some All Pros and everything would have worked out fine. Don't get Fangio, but sign their cast-off running backs ? Maybe if Montgomery could walk without breaking something we wouldn't need to waste our time with guys like these. Awesome TT like move. Next thing we know he'll be trading our #1 pick to drop down into the end of the 2nd round. The downward spiral not only continues, but speeds up. Let's raise ticket prices some more so we can build another inner tube hill. More entertaining than watching the games. I am ashamed to say I once called myself a Packer fan.

Good Luck Gute

Well it appears McCarthy got the GM he wanted, or at least did not get the GM he did not want.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2018/01/13/dougherty-two-compelling-theories-packers-gm-decision/1030792001/?hootPostID=2bc34da20ef1b0f73f2e076edd15b1c2

"as the search began, McCarthy went on the offensive. In his own news conference he proclaimed that the fit with the new GM was a two-way street. He also met with Murphy and presumably expressed concerns that Ball would share Thompson’s disdain for free agency and not provide him with the roster he needed around Rodgers to win a Super Bowl. Two sources confirmed to me that McCarthy indeed had those concerns."

I agree with Dougherty that this new FO structure isn't likely to last very long.  I think Murphy recognized that he needed to avoid a fracture between the FO and MM during the final few years of ARod's career, and this seemed to be the best way to do it.  When the MM era ends, I expect we'll see another FO re-org.  I can't imagine this three-headed power structure working as a long-term solution for the football operations.

On 1/10/2018 at 1:51 PM, JBURGE25 said:

Well one thing was that when we lost McKenzie, Schneider and Dorsey we had up and comers like Wolf and Gutekunst. Now what

There is still plenty of talent in the GB scouting/personnel department.  When TT took over as GM, those guys you mention were no more established than what GB has now.

Archived