Brian Gutekunst to become Packers GM

deltarich87

3 hours ago, ArthurPensky said:

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/06/14/packers-podcast-brian-gutekunst-aaron-nagler/703261002/

Haha, There area a few questions in this interview that TT would never have touched. I sorta miss his secrecy sometimes.

I liked Ted, but I do like the laidback outgoing personality Gute has.

Woah.

After announcing the decision to make a change at general manager, team president Mark Murphy initially stated that Thompson's successor could hire and fire the head coach. At some point, Murphy opted instead to retain that power for himself. That revelation came as a surprise to many, including Gutekunst himself.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000937399/article/packers-gm-surprised-not-to-have-authority-over-coach

It's not the ideal situation, but if Gute is comfortable with the situation I think we should be good with it as well.  He seems to think they have strong relationships.  I think Murphy is a really strong football man .. he will know when it's time to make a change.  Hopefully the trio of McCarthy, Gutekunst, and Ball don't start backstabbing one another.  

7 hours ago, Chili said:

I don't think this is entirely accurate. I think Thompson could wake up one day and fire Mac if he wanted too. Gute has to get Murphy's approval before making such a move. I don't think Murphy can just wake up and fire Mac either.

Also I think Murphy would be in the interview process for a new HC, whereas with Ted he wouldn't have been.

I don't think Murphy gave himself sole authority over HC decisions.

16 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It's not the ideal situation, but if Gute is comfortable with the situation I think we should be good with it as well.  He seems to think they have strong relationships.  I think Murphy is a really strong football man .. he will know when it's time to make a change.  Hopefully the trio of McCarthy, Gutekunst, and Ball don't start backstabbing one another.  

I don't think Gute is comfortable with the situation...at all. What GM would be? But it's what was on the table at the time. 

By the interview with Nagler  it sounded like he's fine with it, And I have to think they are happy with McCarthy. The question is though, is Murphy gonna be stubborn in the future to fire coaches and give them 2nd, 3rd and so on chances? I just hope he knows what he's doing if that time ever comes for McCarthy. We don't want a Marvin Lewis type of deal.

13 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

By the interview with Nagler  it sounded like he's fine with it, And I have to think they are happy with McCarthy. The question is though, is Murphy gonna be stubborn in the future to fire coaches and give them 2nd, 3rd and so on chances? I just hope he knows what he's doing if that time ever comes for McCarthy. We don't want a Marvin Lewis type of deal.

I really don't think Murphy is going to hold on to someone for the sake of it .. he's knows it's a business of winning, and is aware that the Packers could slip into the abyss if things get lax.  I think he just didn't want to get into a situation where they are firing an established coach just because a new GM wants his own guy.  You have a successful coach .. you don't fire him without good reason.  Another non-playoff season and the situation may resolve itself.  

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I really don't think Murphy is going to hold on to someone for the sake of it .. he's knows it's a business of winning, and is aware that the Packers could slip into the abyss if things get lax.  I think he just didn't want to get into a situation where they are firing an established coach just because a new GM wants his own guy.  You have a successful coach .. you don't fire him without good reason.  Another non-playoff season and the situation may resolve itself.  

Thats an awfully short leash. Make the playoffs 8 (or was it 9?) years in a row - miss it twice in a row and get canned? Tough boss.

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Thats an awfully short leash. Make the playoffs 8 (or was it 9?) years in a row - miss it twice in a row and get canned? Tough boss.

Yeah maybe, but I think it would be hard for McCarthy to survive back to back non-playoff seasons.  I could be wrong, but it would be a signal that things are going in the wrong direction.

4 hours ago, Leader said:

Not at all. I think even MM would admit, "We don't hang banners around here for making the playoffs."

Making the playoffs with 12 at QB is a given when he's healthy. Having acheived a no. 1 seed just once in his tenire as coach despite having Favre and Rodgers and the no. 2 seed just a few other times, that's underwhelming IMO. 

Absent at least a NFCG appearance this year, MM wouldnt be my coach next year, plain and simple (assuming 12 is healthy all year). He has run his course, just like TT and Capers.

5 hours ago, Leader said:

Yes it sure is.  MM made some mistakes but have to give credit where credit is due.  He took action and hired new coordinators.  Both brilliant.  As far as coaching goes we are in good shape.  MM is a fine football coach.  He righted the ship and it will show on the field this year.

Archived