Brian Gutekunst to become Packers GM

deltarich87

1 minute ago, Slinky said:

He was Green Bay's 4th choice pretty much. That alone makes me temper my enthusiasm. 

We don't know this for certain.  Murphy might have made other inquiries just to make sure every stone was unturned.

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

A funny thing about this whole saga .. the local hack reporters were WRONG!  Not a single one of them had Gutekunst getting the job .. and most thought for sure Ball, Thompson, and Murphy were in cahoots. 

I don’t think they were wrong... at least Wilde. He said McCarthy , like others hated the idea of Ball. Wilde said the preferred candidates of McCarthy was Schneider and Gutekunst.

I still believe Murphy loves Ball... but ultimately judging Murphy as a leader and man, he wasn’t going to upset the organization. He doesn’t have that in him and say screw it I love Ball it’s his job. I think he cares too much about the corporate dynamics of the group. Once Schneider was too expensive... Wolf and Gutekunst were the only real options and Gutekunst at this point was the best of the 2.

This is one of the better outcomes. Ball stays in his current role as one of the best money men in the league and we get a young, fresh perspective at GM who only answers to Murph. This hire, along with Philbin coming back, is satisfying to me. Now we need to fill the defensive staff and we are ready to role. 

I'm just beyond happy that we didn't go with Ball or Schneider.  I literally would have cried if we hired Schneider.  How bad do you have to be as a GM to trade out of the first round four of the last five years and continue thinking it's a good idea? 

Archived