[Null]

AlNFL19

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

How do you determine receiving yards (eg) to average correlation to scoring? It's not yards per TD is it?

Yeah that's my main question.  Also, is the correlation used broadly across all players, or does each team have their own correlation?  I would suspect not all teams produce the same yards/score.

5 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

How do you determine receiving yards (eg) to average correlation to scoring? It's not yards per TD is it?

A bunch of websites like TeamRankings have data for things like passing yards per non-defensive point scored, so I used stuff like that because I wasn’t really trying to be too formal and all. 

4 hours ago, theJ said:

Yeah that's my main question.  Also, is the correlation used broadly across all players, or does each team have their own correlation?  I would suspect not all teams produce the same yards/score.

The correlations come mostly from averages of points per x over the last few years. Making it team-specific is a good idea that I haven’t really thought about, but I don’t know how accurate it would be because that might just make some guys who played at an average level in a terrible offense might outscore some more highly scoring players. I don’t know how that would work out, I might try to figure it out if I can get time and data to do it. I think that would be more of a fluid model than the one I have now too. Sounds like a good point, but no I haven’t done that :( .

8 minutes ago, AlNFL19 said:

A bunch of websites like TeamRankings have data for things like passing yards per non-defensive point scored, so I used stuff like that because I wasn’t really trying to be too formal and all. 

So because i don't want to take more than 2 minutes right now to understand, does this just boil down to most all purpose yards?  Or at least, since i see some receivers on the list, most all purpose yards with a slight correction/favoritism toward receiving yards?

Just now, theJ said:

I'm not sure it is a good point.  I was just curious.  Thanks for explaining :)

It is a good point. A statistic that did that would be really cool, I just don’t know if it would accomplish the same thing. I could try to figure that out when I have time, but I don’t know. 

Just now, theJ said:

So because i don't want to take more than 2 minutes right now to understand, does this just boil down to most all purpose yards?  Or at least, since i see some receivers on the list, most all purpose yards with a slight correction/favoritism toward receiving yards?

Not really, but kind of. Gurley II scored 19 TDs. For wideouts, one of the most important stats is receiving first downs because you really can’t score without first downs or touchdowns. However, all purpose yards do play a huge role because of the sheer insane numbers of yards that players rack up. However, not entirely. For example, Calvin Johnson's 1,964 yard campaign scored lower than Randy Moss’ 23 (was it 23? I forget.) TD year. The highest ever season mark is Tomlinson in ‘06 because of his 31 touchdowns. So, yards play a really critical role, but I wouldn’t say that’s all it boils down to.  

2 minutes ago, AlNFL19 said:

Not really, but kind of. Gurley II scored 19 TDs. For wideouts, one of the most important stats is receiving first downs because you really can’t score without first downs or touchdowns. However, all purpose yards do play a huge role because of the sheer insane numbers of yards that players rack up. However, not entirely. For example, Calvin Johnson's 1,964 yard campaign scored lower than Randy Moss’ 23 (was it 23? I forget.) TD year. The highest ever season mark is Tomlinson in ‘06 because of his 31 touchdowns. So, yards play a really critical role, but I wouldn’t say that’s all it boils down to.  

Ah ok, so there's a lot more going on here than what you've necessarily explained.  I was reading it as just a conversion from yards to points.

But it's really yards, first downs, points (maybe more?) -> points; in some mathematical conversion.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Ah ok, so there's a lot more going on here than what you've necessarily explained.  I was reading it as just a conversion from yards to points.

But it's really yards, first downs, points (maybe more?) -> points; in some mathematical conversion.

Yeah I just used yards as an example. 

1 hour ago, childofpudding said:

How does this differ, if at all, from PFR's Approximate Value stat?

http://pfref.com/tiny/l6MDh (all players, 2017)

http://pfref.com/tiny/VB4YH (RBs/WRs/TEs, 2017)

Explanation of AV - https://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/index37a8.html

Well, it differs in its calculation and how things are weighted, for starters. They also probably don’t use the same exact lists of statistics. AV just puts a number on season performance that appears largely unrelated to point scoring (given that 15 is a good score). 

Archived