The Apple Thread 

24 minutes ago, showtime said:

These phones are terrible.  The expensive price for inferior hardware.  Couldn't be me.

Samsung Knights stand up.

I think the hardware is fine, the iPhone 6 with a battery replacement still runs really well today. Apple has done a pretty good job giving their devices longer life since the 5S. I think most of the cost increase lies in the screen and face ID and all that, but most of it is still probably brand profit given that the X was reportedly the most profitable phone. I don't like it when companies charge a premium just because they can, but whatever I won't be buying these. At least they're still offering the 7 and 8 as budget alternatives. I wonder what happens when those are discontinued how many years from now. I imagine the 7 will be done next year, and the 8 probably has another year after that. After that it might be all $1000 phones and over.

On 9/13/2018 at 11:32 AM, showtime said:

These phones are terrible.  The expensive price for inferior hardware.  Couldn't be me.

Samsung Knights stand up.

If you're looking at it from a hardware perspective, the apple A12 chipset is 1.5 to 2 times as quick at processing vs the snapdragon 845 that the US based Note 9 has in it. They don't need as much ram(the xs and xs max have 4gbs of ram in them) to utilize the OS since its optimized and is not a skinned version of an OS. There is a reason the Pixel 3xl is rumored to only use 3gbs of Ram in it, the OS is optimized for it. They only major thing that Samsung has going for it over these new iPhone's, is 2gbs more ram, expandable storage, slightly better screen and a 4000 mAh battery. Granted the battery mAh doesn't matter for iPhone's from what I've noticed and the Max is getting a larger (rumored) 3300 mAh battery like the note 8 had in it.

I don't really see as major of a hardware difference like you think there is. Both of these phones will be in the same range, spec wise with the Apple blasting the Samsung phone away with its 7nm A12 chip. IMO it comes down to Ecosystem, Software optimization and overall OS preference.

Note: I've had android phones for 10+ years and I've recently switched to IOS in the last 6 months due to me just wanted a simplified phone that works without me having to mess with it. I've ordered a XS Max to replace the 7 plus that I'm using.

Bought an iPhone for the first time ever. Bought the XS. Was bidding on some iPhone 8's on eBay to see if I could get one for $500 but decided this is gonna be my phone for 3-4 years anyways. Been a galaxy user since the first ever galaxy. Just tired of the apps not being optimized. My girlfriends iPhone 6s runs still super fast while.my Galaxy S7 that is only 2 1/2 years old runs slow as heck now and has been running slow for over a year. 

Apple is something that is "fun" to hate. I use to be an Apple hater myself. However, LCD screens was Apples biggest problem. Now that they have oLED, it's a go for me. 

- Apps are optimized for iOS specifically. Your phone is not gonna slow down even after years. 

- Apple phones are simply much faster. A series of chips blows Snapdragon out of the water. It's honestly not close. 

- iOS easier navigation. 

- iPhone X is a gorgeous looking phone. 

- Way better resale value. Can sale your iphone in 3 years for 50% of the price. Samsung? Maybe 20%. 

Customization was a big issue but I like what they have brought to the table in iOS 12. 

Edited by BayRaider

24 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Apple is something that is "fun" to hate. I use to be an Apple hater myself. However, LCD screens was Apples biggest problem. Now that they have oLED, it's a go for me. 

- Apps are optimized for iOS specifically. Your phone is not gonna slow down even after years. 

- Apple phones are simply much faster. A series of chips blows Snapdragon out of the water. It's honestly not close. 

- iOS easier navigation. 

- iPhone X is a gorgeous looking phone. 

- Way better resale value. Can sale your iphone in 3 years for 50% of the price. Samsung? Maybe 20%. 

Customization was a big issue but I like what they have brought to the table in iOS 12. 

At the end of the day, if you're not a blind fanboy there really isn't that much of a difference between the OSs. I still prefer Android's ability to do things like install system wide ad blockers and being ahead in many features, but with iPhones now having what looks like a 4 year life cycle of quality performance, it's hard to find value in Android phones that are so poorly managed and cut off after 2 years.

That being said, I hope I won't have to buy another Apple or Google product next time I buy a phone. I hope the Librem 5 turns out to be worth the wait and hype, or at least springs similar projects to do better.

I've mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I have a 2013 Macbook Pro that I want to sell. I'm seeing them go on Craigslist for like $500-700. That sounds like a lot to me, but is that an accurate going price? It's in good aesthetic condition and has OSX 13. I just need to wipe the thing clean (how do I do this?).

5 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

I've mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I have a 2013 Macbook Pro that I want to sell. I'm seeing them go on Craigslist for like $500-700. That sounds like a lot to me, but is that an accurate going price? It's in good aesthetic condition and has OSX 13. I just need to wipe the thing clean (how do I do this?).

You can look around for your model specifically, but it seems like it's the right price looking at a place that sells used. They hold value.

Go into Disk Utility, and the option to erase is in there. 

On 9/13/2018 at 12:04 PM, Mossburg said:

I think the hardware is fine, the iPhone 6 with a battery replacement still runs really well today. Apple has done a pretty good job giving their devices longer life since the 5S. I think most of the cost increase lies in the screen and face ID and all that, but most of it is still probably brand profit given that the X was reportedly the most profitable phone. I don't like it when companies charge a premium just because they can, but whatever I won't be buying these. At least they're still offering the 7 and 8 as budget alternatives. I wonder what happens when those are discontinued how many years from now. I imagine the 7 will be done next year, and the 8 probably has another year after that. After that it might be all $1000 phones and over.

The hardware isn't fine.  The Samsung Note 9 blows this new iPhone out of the water by a long shot.  Who cares about longer life span outside of people who want to keep a phone for like 4 years... like you.  Most people don't do that.  Your entire post is about phones lasting for a long time, something that isn't even relevant for someone who is buying a phone like the iPhone XS Max.

17 minutes ago, showtime said:

The hardware isn't fine.  The Samsung Note 9 blows this new iPhone out of the water by a long shot.  Who cares about longer life span outside of people who want to keep a phone for like 4 years... like you.  Most people don't do that.  Your entire post is about phones lasting for a long time, something that isn't even relevant for someone who is buying a phone like the iPhone XS Max.

Specs aren't everything. Apple has always outperformed PC without the specs. The iPhone is no different, and it's always been that way. 

A Mustang has a 5.0 V8. A Ferrari 488 has a a 3.9L V8. Does that make the Mustang automatically faster?

1 hour ago, showtime said:

A12 chip is way faster than Snapdragon 845. Not close at all. More ram doesn't make up for that. 

11 hours ago, showtime said:

The hardware isn't fine.  The Samsung Note 9 blows this new iPhone out of the water by a long shot.

Dude, the Note 9 even gets outperformed by the X in most situations. The only way the Note 9 even outperforms last year’s X is in high end graphics rendering, and it gets obliterated by this year’s iPhones when running GFXBench tests.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-xs-iphone-xs-max-benchmarks,review-5745.html