The Apple Thread 

can i run microsoft office on an ipad with a keyboard?

legit barely use my laptop anymore for anything other than spreadsheets and browsing the web, so legit don't need that much processing power anymore. considering just selling my air and going that route, but i need to run excel/word/powerpoint

from what i can tell, i can, but it'd be nice to have some confirmation. also, if it is, can i do a one time buy of microsoft suite? or do i need to get 365?

42 minutes ago, IrishGreen said:

can i run microsoft office on an ipad with a keyboard?

legit barely use my laptop anymore for anything other than spreadsheets and browsing the web, so legit don't need that much processing power anymore. considering just selling my air and going that route, but i need to run excel/word/powerpoint

from what i can tell, i can, but it'd be nice to have some confirmation. also, if it is, can i do a one time buy of microsoft suite? or do i need to get 365?

You can do it no problem.

You have to pay for Office365 if you're going to edit documents. Alternatively, you could use Apple's or Google's office suites, which are free. Unless you have a very specific reason to need Microsoft Office, I'd definitely try those before you do. I have access to an O365 account and apps and have never used them because Pages and Numbers work perfectly for everything I do.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, showtime said:

When I mentioned hardware, I'm not just talking about the processor.  I'm talking about the actual phone itself.  Screen, RAM, internal storage, external storage, headphone jack, fast charging, etc.  Maybe hardware wasn't the right word.

OS optimization helps for speed. Samsung is doing the best they can to optimize their hardware for android software, which is why you're seeing 6-8gbs of ram and all of these other features like "liquid cooling" on their mobos. Apple knows they really don't need more than 4gbs of ram to do 99.9% of what Samsung is doing on their phones, including gaming.

The only real thing that Samsung does over Apple at this point is offers expandable storage, a headphone jack and the s-pen. Even the screens are made by Samsung for Apple for this initial run of XS devices. Apple offers fast charging(granted they should provide the dang brick in the box....), wireless charging, IP68 proofing, duel speakers. All of the same things that Samsung is offering.

I get where your coming from and coming from using android for the last 6-7 years who never used iOS until the last 6 months, I get your reasoning. But tbh after I started using this 7+ that I picked up for testing purposes for work, I realized that everything works just slightly better due to software and hardware optimizations that Apple does. I'm going to roll with Apple for awhile and see how it goes. Maybe I wont miss the customization of Android. The only thing I really worry about is having to buy more and more into the ecosystem that Apple has vs the laissez-faire type ecosystem that android has had for years.

Edited by Saosin

On 9/24/2018 at 3:19 AM, showtime said:

The hardware isn't fine.  The Samsung Note 9 blows this new iPhone out of the water by a long shot.  Who cares about longer life span outside of people who want to keep a phone for like 4 years... like you.  Most people don't do that.  Your entire post is about phones lasting for a long time, something that isn't even relevant for someone who is buying a phone like the iPhone XS Max.

My point is if the hardware sucks the phone will be unusable in the near future.

14 hours ago, pwny said:

You can do it no problem.

You have to pay for Office365 if you're going to edit documents. Alternatively, you could use Apple's or Google's office suites, which are free. Unless you have a very specific reason to need Microsoft Office, I'd definitely try those before you do. I have access to an O365 account and apps and have never used them because Pages and Numbers work perfectly for everything I do.

I could probably get away with using numbers (I already do once and awhile since it’s super similar to excel), but can I convert pages docs into word docs for things like resumes, etc? 

26 minutes ago, IrishGreen said:

I could probably get away with using numbers (I already do once and awhile since it’s super similar to excel), but can I convert pages docs into word docs for things like resumes, etc? 

You can save Numbers files as .xlsx, Pages as .docx, and Keynote as .pptx. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2018 at 11:11 AM, VikeManDan said:

Leaning towards the Xs ($999) over the X ($899), the 8 ($599) is a long shot. I'd like a nice upgrade from my 6. Looking to get within the next month or two.

Ended up getting the Xs. I've enjoyed it thus far, I think the FaceID is pretty cool. Didn't take long to get used to not having the home button. Don't understand why they couldn't give me the dongle for the headphones, just another way for them to make money I suppose.

8 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Ended up getting the Xs. I've enjoyed it thus far, I think the FaceID is pretty cool. Didn't take long to get used to not having the home button. Don't understand why they couldn't give me the dongle for the headphones, just another way for them to make money I suppose.

Enjoying my Xs experience as well. First iPhone and definitely a big fan of the speeds and ecosystem so far. I won’t know about durability for a while. My Samsung phones always started giving out on me, especially battery, at the year and a half mark. I know Apple has a strong reputation of durability. 

Silly question but my wife is pregnant and extra nostalgic now. She wants to play an old game(yr 2003) on our apple desktop. But when we put in the CD it says it isn't compatible. Is there any way around that at all? I'm not tech-savvy at all and am new to apple products in general. The updated version of the games aren't as good so I'm sort of stuck. Any ideas?

15 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Silly question but my wife is pregnant and extra nostalgic now. She wants to play an old game(yr 2003) on our apple desktop. But when we put in the CD it says it isn't compatible. Is there any way around that at all? I'm not tech-savvy at all and am new to apple products in general. The updated version of the games aren't as good so I'm sort of stuck. Any ideas?

What game is it?  You'll probably need to download an emulator that allows you to play games that are no longer supported on the current OS.  I haven't done this but a quick Google search shows SheepShaver as a popular option for an emulator. 

1 hour ago, flyers0909 said:

What game is it?  You'll probably need to download an emulator that allows you to play games that are no longer supported on the current OS.  I haven't done this but a quick Google search shows SheepShaver as a popular option for an emulator. 

Zoo Tycoon lol

Back to the tech savvy thing though, i dont want to look up how to do something and then screw up the system by downloading something I shouldn’t have. 

10 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Zoo Tycoon lol

Back to the tech savvy thing though, i dont want to look up how to do something and then screw up the system by downloading something I shouldn’t have. 

There's a Zoo Tycoon 2. If you don't feel comfortable using Parallels or an emulator, convince her that it's the same game, just a little updated. 

2 hours ago, MrDrew said:

There's a Zoo Tycoon 2. If you don't feel comfortable using Parallels or an emulator, convince her that it's the same game, just a little updated. 

We have it and she doesn't like it the same. Not sure how to use an emulator or parallels...

I know its silly...but she's pregnant and this is literally the only thing she has asked for

Edited by JaguarCrazy2832

26 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

We have it and she doesn't like it the same. Not sure how to use an emulator or parallels...

I know its silly...but she's pregnant and this is literally the only thing she has asked for

So the problem is that the game was made in the PowerPC days, and we're on Intel Macs now. They don't make an updated version, or have it on Steam, unfortunately. 

If you don't want to mess with the Parallels/emulator route, grab a used Nintendo DS and the Zoo Tycoon Complete Collection for her.

20 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

So the problem is that the game was made in the PowerPC days, and we're on Intel Macs now. They don't make an updated version, or have it on Steam, unfortunately. 

If you don't want to mess with the Parallels/emulator route, grab a used Nintendo DS and the Zoo Tycoon Complete Collection for her.

How would the Parallels/emulator route work?