The Apple Thread 

On 2/12/2019 at 6:22 PM, pwny said:

I'm guessing you restored from a backup on the new phone. Whatever network issue was present on the old one would have just been pushed to the new one. 

Glad we could get it resolved for you though.

lol that iPwn is the resident genius bar attendant or whatever they're called.

On a different Apple note...man, they really have done a job in making "The Button" obsolete.  I was so staunchly convinced that a phone without a button would be horrible, after so many years of basically being conditioned around the home button.  But trying out the newer phones with "fake" buttons that aren't actually physical buttons, i didn't really understand the point anymore and took the plunge.  And now...any time i have to use someone's phone with one of those fake pretend non-button buttons...it drives me nuts.  They still feel so much less organic than an actual button...and less organic than a buttonless screen, but take up a whole ton of surface real-estate for basically no reason.

I mean...i kinda still want a physical button back.  But man, using those smaller phones with the fake buttons is so hard now.  "Here, look at this!  Wtf is it so tiny and why is the button booping my thumb like that?"

• 4 months later...

My Windows Desktop was approaching ten years old so I decided to get an M1 Mac Mini. Got the 16GB Ram Model with 1TB Storage, set me back about $1300. This thing is fast and blows most i9 chips and AMD chips out of the water. Apple isn't joking around when they say they are going to compete in the computer world. This thing handles video editing, and intensive tasks pretty well also. Obviously, if you're a gamer, probably not the option for you as it's Integrated Graphics. However, this is the best Integrated Graphics in any device ever imo. I can run almost any game at Medium Graphic settings and get a solid 60 FPS (1080p display, not 4K display). 

Pretty happy with my purchase. Also one of the main reasons I decided to get it was so I can use a VPN on this computer with Sunday Ticket and MLB.TV, and then AirPlay the screen to my TV. It has worked flawlessly for MLB.TV so far. Definitely don't need cable anymore. AirPlay is one of the best inventions ever. 

Edited by BayRaider

On 4/7/2021 at 1:47 PM, BayRaider said:

My Windows Desktop was approaching ten years old so I decided to get an M1 Mac Mini. Got the 16GB Ram Model with 1TB Storage, set me back about $1300. This thing is fast and blows most i9 chips and AMD chips out of the water. Apple isn't joking around when they say they are going to compete in the computer world. This thing handles video editing, and intensive tasks pretty well also. Obviously, if you're a gamer, probably not the option for you as it's Integrated Graphics. However, this is the best Integrated Graphics in any device ever imo. I can run almost any game at Medium Graphic settings and get a solid 60 FPS (1080p display, not 4K display). 

Pretty happy with my purchase. Also one of the main reasons I decided to get it was so I can use a VPN on this computer with Sunday Ticket and MLB.TV, and then AirPlay the screen to my TV. It has worked flawlessly for MLB.TV so far. Definitely don't need cable anymore. AirPlay is one of the best inventions ever. 

I’ve heard some not great things about the M1 chips and am waiting until the second wave of products gets released. 

from my knowledge of the whole switch, it is so Apple can fully integrate Macs, iPads and iPhone, and it’s especially beneficial for app developers who can now develop one app across the line.

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I’ve heard some not great things about the M1 chips and am waiting until the second wave of products gets released. 

from my knowledge of the whole switch, it is so Apple can fully integrate Macs, iPads and iPhone, and it’s especially beneficial for app developers who can now develop one app across the line.

I’ve had zero issues. A lot of that “bad stuff” is paid by Microsoft and Intel. The SSD thing for example is complete bogus. 

• 1 month later...

I got the SE2 last year and it’s been pretty decent. Unfortunately the biggest problem is the battery life is not good at all. I also noticed that the battery health dropped by 12% to 88% now even though I don’t think I use it that much. A few quick games here and there. But mostly web browsing. What gives? 🤷‍♂️

@Xenos just got your like on my post about buying the iPad Pro that I posted back three years ago. Today, I’m ordering a new one for my better half, so we can pick it up tomorrow.

What are the odds? You spying on me, bro?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

@Xenos just got your like on my post about buying the iPad Pro that I posted back three years ago. Today, I’m ordering a new one for my better half, so we can pick it up tomorrow.

The iPad Pro is pretty awesome. Love it for reading, taking notes, and also a great entertainment device especially if multi-tasking. Must have device for someone in school imo. 

I’ve basically Appled out my house over the past couple years. AirPlay and AirDrop are pretty crucial features for me as I share a ton of files between devices, and also play a ton of sports games/movies from my Mac Mini to my Apple TV in the living room. 

My Macbook Pro is over 5 years old now and battery is toast, so might cop me one of these Macbook Pro M1X’s coming out as well. 

15 hours ago, Xenos said:

I got the SE2 last year and it’s been pretty decent. Unfortunately the biggest problem is the battery life is not good at all. I also noticed that the battery health dropped by 12% to 88% now even though I don’t think I use it that much. A few quick games here and there. But mostly web browsing. What gives? 🤷‍♂️

Do you know about when you got it, and about how often you would have cycled 100% of usage?

If you did a full charge once a day and have had it about a year, that’s about normal wear on a battery within the specs for the type of battery, though it’s on the lower end of what one should actually be able to get. If it’s been within a year of your purchase, it might be worth reaching out the Apple and have them run diagnostics and see if they’ll replace it within the warranty. Or they might have some other suggestions for stuff causing battery drain.

if you’re not within warranty and the battery is really bothering you, you can get it replaced for $50. But first, we can run you through some troubleshooting stuff. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pwny said:

You’ll see it a lot. Usually happens when I find another thread that I am now catching up on lol. Things to do during the long offseason I guess.

1 hour ago, pwny said:

Do you know about when you got it, and about how often you would have cycled 100% of usage?

If you did a full charge once a day and have had it about a year, that’s about normal wear on a battery within the specs for the type of battery, though it’s on the lower end of what one should actually be able to get. If it’s been within a year of your purchase, it might be worth reaching out the Apple and have them run diagnostics and see if they’ll replace it within the warranty. Or they might have some other suggestions for stuff causing battery drain.

if you’re not within warranty and the battery is really bothering you, you can get it replaced for $50. But first, we can run you through some troubleshooting stuff. 

I got it last Memorial Day. It is essentially a full charge a day. The phone hits about 20% battery life in the late afternoon early evening with regular use. So I charge it to full before I go to bed. No overnight charging. There’s been times where I had to charge it earlier in the day when playing more power extensive games like Genshin Impact. But that has lessened greatly when I was able to go back to work in the fall and no longer had time during the day to play those types of games. It feels like the main drop happened after I got back to work and only had time to web browse.

Edited by Xenos

On 11/16/2020 at 12:51 AM, Tugboat said:

On a different Apple note...man, they really have done a job in making "The Button" obsolete.  I was so staunchly convinced that a phone without a button would be horrible, after so many years of basically being conditioned around the home button.  But trying out the newer phones with "fake" buttons that aren't actually physical buttons, i didn't really understand the point anymore and took the plunge.  And now...any time i have to use someone's phone with one of those fake pretend non-button buttons...it drives me nuts.  They still feel so much less organic than an actual button...and less organic than a buttonless screen, but take up a whole ton of surface real-estate for basically no reason.

I mean...i kinda still want a physical button back.  But man, using those smaller phones with the fake buttons is so hard now.  "Here, look at this!  Wtf is it so tiny and why is the button booping my thumb like that?"

Maybe I’m easily fooled but I thought the fake buttons were real unless I turn my iPhone off completely.