The Apple Thread 

3 minutes ago, IrishGreen said:

where is the best place to sell your old macbook air (besides someone you know)? thinking about getting a new pro here in the next year or two, but there's really nothing wrong with this other than there's not enough RAM, etc

www.gazelle.com

On 8/19/2018 at 7:48 PM, IrishGreen said:

where is the best place to sell your old macbook air (besides someone you know)? thinking about getting a new pro here in the next year or two, but there's really nothing wrong with this other than there's not enough RAM, etc

If you're planning on buying another Mac, you can always take it to Apple and get credit to put towards your new one.

On 8/19/2018 at 12:49 PM, pwny said:

Turning my old Mac into a home server. I’ve been considering building a computer to serve the purpose, but since that’s not exactly going quickly, I’m just going to use the iMac until I actually make the dive. Gonna use it as a data server as well as a Plex server. 

I've got it set up so that the Mac itself (including 1tb drive) is really just there to power the server and have the installation of programs. I haver some internal drives (4tb, 512mb and 2tb) set up in docking stations plugged in by USB to be accessible by the other devices on the network. Might move the important ones to firewire just for quicker access, but I'm not sure.

I've got it directly plugged into the router and devices connecting via afp, and the connection speed seems surprisingly quick. Plex server is up and running perfectly. I've moved everything for that to the 4tb drive, along with my iTunes files on there too.

I'm thinking about using the 2TB for a Time Machine backup for my MBP, and the 512 as a cloud server. Would also like a backup solution for these drives, just a form of redundancy for the 4tb and 512 drives.

Might also use this as the central brains for HomeKit automation.

Anybody else ever do this or something similar? Any tips? @MrDrew?

8 hours ago, pwny said:

Anybody else ever do this or something similar? Any tips?

As long as you can have it on the network, you can use it as a server for iTunes, Photos, Time Machine, and any other storage. You just have to point everything to that specific folder, and it should work. 

HomeKit is actually decentralized. For remote use, you need to have a newer AppleTV. You don’t actually setup anything in Mac OS, but Siri will work on the newer systems.

22 minutes ago, pwny said:

Witchcraft! I kept getting sent to the app store and not able to see anything other than featured apps. Been using macs for the last 4 years now, and I would like to believe I'm mostly technology literate but now I'm questioning everything. 

Any extensions you recommend or just whatever I was rolling with in Chrome? 

• 2 weeks later...