2018 Playoff Thread - No Dog In The Hunt Edition

Apollo Stallion

Ok - I'm kind of enjoying watching NFL football for the first time in a while without the Texans souring my watching mood and no fantasy to skew my viewing.  Figure we need a thread to discuss what's going right, wrong, or at least some place to rip on other teams for a while or lament what we don't have.  Also figured it would be interesting to know who you are rooting for/against with the Texans out.

Kind of rooting for Westlake's own Drew Brees to get another ring so the Saints are probably my primary rooting interest, but with Westlake's Nick Foles starting for the Eagles I get a bonus local interest.  I pretty much detest every team in the AFC so I'm kind of rooting for failure more than anything and the Chiefs and Bills already obliged.  Andy Reid and Rick Dennison looking as idiotic as ever was a nice bonus.  I can't root for a team that still has Bud Adams bloodline in it and just won't be a Pats/Steelers frontrunner, so I'm shocked to find myself rooting for the Jags.  It's pretty much Rick Smith sour grapes as much as anything as I want the AJ Bouye signing to continue rising the ranks of all-time worst front office decisions.

Any other ex-Texans in Playoffs? 

• Matt Schaub & Brooks Reed in Atlanta.
  • AJ Bouye & Jaelen Strong in Jax.
  • Case Keenum in Minny. 
  • Brandon Brooks & Donnie Jones in Philly.
  • Brandon Weeden, Phillip Supernaw, Ben Jones, & Brice McCain in Tenn
  • Brian Hoyer & Erik Lee in NE
  • Connor Barwin in LA. 
  • Khari Lee in Buff
  • Akeem Hunt in KC
  • TJ Watt in Pitt (honorary Texan)

My fantasy league does the playoffs too, but it's not going real well for me right now. The guy that drafted Mariota is looking like a genius right nowalso had Derrick Henry and Drew Brees, so he's pretty much running away with it. Oh well.

Outside of my fantasy players that I'm pulling for, I wish the AFC side of the bracket would all somehow lose and the NFC get 2 teams in the Super Bowl. On the NFC side, it would be kind of nice to see the Falcons get redemption or interesting to see the Vikings be the first team to play at home in the big game. Wouldn't be opposed to seeing the Saints take it either.

I'm actually happy both of our division rivals made it to the next round. Tennessee won't be firing their coaching staff, and Jax will probably retain Bortles after this season...

Both of these are good things.

9 hours ago, -Hope- said:

jesus christ, are y'all running some sort of sabotage operation here

How does Brice McCain still have a job? He was bad in Houston, and he's not exactly good from what I've seen in Tennessee...

I'm actually thinking Atlanta is getting hot at the right time. They have a layup of a matchup against a Carson Wentz-less Eagles, and - if they can get that W - they'll get a Vikings or Saints team coming off of what might be the toughest game of the season for both squads. 

I'm also interested in what Jacksonville does. They looked downright porous against Buffalo, but this feels like a team that needed confidence going into the next round - which is as simple as winning a game in the playoffs. They're not going to be able to beat Pittsburgh with a Blake Bortles rushing attack, but they can win by shutting down Ben and company.

31 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

How does Brice McCain still have a job? He was bad in Houston, and he's not exactly good from what I've seen in Tennessee...

I remember that one season where we could have made an argument that he was the best nickle cb in the league, then he went downhill from there. 

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

thankfully he stopped getting a whole lot of playing time after like 5 or 6 straight weeks of getting his lunch money taken by whoever lined up against him this year. now some guy named tye smith who i didn't even know existed until like 2 months ago is getting his snaps. hooray!

24 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

thankfully he stopped getting a whole lot of playing time after like 5 or 6 straight weeks of getting his lunch money taken by whoever lined up against him this year. now some guy named tye smith who i didn't even know existed until like 2 months ago is getting his snaps. hooray!

Per the numbers, he's actually better than Kevin Johnson...

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Per the numbers, he's actually better than Kevin Johnson...

Let me add some specifics to that case:

Football Outsiders’ Premium Charting Data had K-Jo ranked 152nd in yards allowed per pass, 150th in success rate, 145th in yards traveled per pass attempt, and 152nd in yards after the catch. Gross.

FWIW - Brice McCain remains on the Mount Rushmore of CB shame for the Texans alongside Petey Faggins, Fred Bennett, and Kareem Jackson but the chisels are out for KJ2 if he doesn't unscrew himself next season.

BTW - Saw the PERFECT description of Kareem Jackson over the weekend - "Great Defender, Bad Cornerback." 

Apparently the best way to get yourself a HC job is to collapse in spectacular fashion on the playoff stage.  Last year Lil Shanny chokes away the Super Bowl and gets the 49ers gig,  this year Matt Nagy chokes away a 3 score lead to a Titans team that can't throw the ball and gets the Bears job.  I guess getting back to mediocre would be a huge step up in Chicago, so an Andy Reid guy might work. 

19 minutes ago, Apollo Stallion said:

Apparently the best way to get yourself a HC job is to collapse in spectacular fashion on the playoff stage.  Last year Lil Shanny chokes away the Super Bowl and gets the 49ers gig,  this year Matt Nagy chokes away a 3 score lead to a Titans team that can't throw the ball and gets the Bears job.  I guess getting back to mediocre would be a huge step up in Chicago, so an Andy Reid guy might work. 

Chicago is playing follow the leader - find a young-ish OC to pair up with their 2nd year QB and RB who went through a sophomore slump.

I guess this means you should draft Jordan Howard next year in fantasy. He's gonna go Gurley on everyone.

Archived