Divisional Round: Vikings vs. Saints, Week 19

Riddle

I just want to drop by and say I hope the best team wins. I always liked the Vikings. Cool colors, cool players, unfortunate but motivational history. It's great to have a rivalry outside the division. I want the story to be about football and not the other stuff. If we don't win, I'll be glad it was the Vikings that beat us. This is the match up we all want, screw the dirty birds and who cares about those other birds. This Saints team wants to prove they can beat the Vikings this year, and if they can't, I'll be glad to see you finally earn your revenge so that maybe we can end that chapter. If the Vikings win, I want to see them go to the Super Bowl and finally win it all. The Patriots are Steelers have enough championships.

Whatever happens, we can say this week's game will not start the same way as Week 1 did (Peterson 9-yard run). I remember the concern most of us had after that run. Those quickly went away, as his last five carries also went for 9 yards.

5 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Whatever happens, we can say this week's game will not start the same way as Week 1 did (Peterson 9-yard run). I remember the concern most of us had after that run. Those quickly went away, as his last five carries also went for 9 yards.

I want us to hit Brees once or twice in the first drive and stuff a run or two.

Give them flashbacks to what happened in week 1.

1 hour ago, marshpit23 said:

Agree, it won’t be a shoot out and think we win the the game. We may need 27 points out of the offense though.

I agree that we may need to score 27 points.  But the defence can score some of it.  Then there won't be as much pressure on the offence.

I almost get the feeling that we could have almost an inverse of the Saints v Panthers game. We will stymie the Saints and jump out to a lead, and the Saints will start to rally back in the 4th quarter, but our D will lock down and prevent a drive to tie the game with ~2 min in the 4th.

I'm going 24-17 Vikes.

I'm scared for this game. 

I have all kinds of defensive assignments and ideas on how we hope to stop the Saints (Breed, Kumara, Ingram mainly).

I'm not even a coach and know nothing of the inner workings of the strategy, film study, or what goes into a game plan. This just seems the exact kind of game that is inevitably going to break my heart once again.

They have so much on offense and I just don't see how we stop, or even limit everybody. No intention of sounding like a downer but I want the Vikings to win so badly and I am worried already for this. Losing again will kill me as a fan lol

Resume with discussion please.

13 minutes ago, Robb_K said:

I agree that we may need to score 27 points.  But the defence can score some of it.  Then there won't be as much pressure on the offence.

Agreed. I think turnovers could play a pivotal role in this game. I sincerely hope our defense can produce a fumble recovery TD or a pick 6...heck both would be nice.

The optimist side of me isn't worried at all about the Saints offense.

Their strengths as an offense fall in line with our strengths as a defense: running game, big WR, speedy No. 2 WR.

Rhodes' track record against top WRs is known. But what about RBs? The narrative EVERYONE will point to this week is that the Saints are a different offense since they played the Vikings. They finished that game 20-60 on the ground, but have averaged 134 ypg since. Yeah and so is every other team. How about we look at the other four RBs we faced that finished with the most yards on the season. Gurley 15-37 (90.5 ypg otherwise), Bell 27-87 (86.1 ypg, but low ypc), Howard 19-76 and 9-9 (74 ypg) and Collins 10-30 (67.3 ypg). The only two that hit their average (and barely) did so when they were at home. The other three games were far below the norm.

Outside of the 216 we gave up on the ground to Carolina, the worst performance by the run defense was to allow 115 yards on the ground against Cleveland and at Chicago. The 60 allowed to New Orleans wasn't even one of the five lowest totals of the season.

23 minutes ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

We will stymie the Saints and jump out to a lead, and the Saints will start to rally back in the 4th quarter, but our D will lock down and prevent a drive to tie the game with ~2 min in the 4th.

I'd have to check, but from memory the Vikings under Zimmer have never allowed a multiple score lead to get close to the point where the other team has a drive with a chance to win or tie.

2 hours ago, marshpit23 said:

Bad break for the Saints, who will start at G in his place?

Senio Kelemete, he's solid. The main factor of losing Peat is he can fill in at LT very well if Armstead gets hurt, which seems to happen every other week. We'll be fine unless that happens. 

Wish you guys luck. I understand the feeling isn't mutual but if you guys win I'll be rooting for you to win the SB. And hopefully if we win it'll be completely free of any controversy. Cheers folks. 

Archived