Divisional Round: Vikings vs. Saints, Week 19

Riddle

So I had a thought that I haven't heard discussed at all. 

A flag was thrown when Diggs threw his helmet right? What would have happened if the review showed that he steeped out of bounds? Would the penalty have been enforced where he stepped out or would it have been different since the play should have eneed sooner? 

10 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

So I had a thought that I haven't heard discussed at all. 

A flag was thrown when Diggs threw his helmet right? What would have happened if the review showed that he steeped out of bounds? Would the penalty have been enforced where he stepped out or would it have been different since the play should have eneed sooner? 

It would have been assessed from where he stepped out. 

• 5 months later...

In January, Case Keenum was part of one of the great plays in NFL history when he completed the Minneapolis Miracle, the touchdown pass to Stefon Diggs on the last play of the Vikings’ playoff win over the Saints. Now Keenum is the Broncos’ quarterback, and he gave fans in Denver a fantastic breakdown of the play, both from an Xs and Os perspective, and from a human perspective. Keenum was at an event for Broncos season ticket holders when he was asked about the play, and he then spent several minutes at a whiteboard explaining every element of it:

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/06/21/keenum-explains-xs-os-of-the-minnesota-miracle-with-broncos-fans/

In the Vikings’ playbook, the play was known as “Gun buffalo right key left 7 heaven.” Keenum first explained what that means.

Keenum: “Buffalo is our formation. It’s three-by-one but it’s a ‘B’ word — buffalo — so that’s a bunch, and there’s an ‘f’ in it so that means the f is at the point. Key left is the protection, which means it’s a six-man protection, they’re going to block six. The offensive line blocked their tails off. In these situations, two-minute, these defensive ends, they know it’s a pass so they’re literally in a track stance and they’re just rushing as fast as it can. So it started there. They were incredible."

“I had my guy Adam Thielen at X and he had a 7 route. The first part of that play call was 7, so he had a 7 route, which was a corner route. He had more than his share of defenders. He ran a 7 route, I really wanted to throw to him, but he was covered up. On this side we layer it. There’s three layers. Kyle Rudolph, who was at Y, he runs the quick out to the sideline. Our F, Jarius Wright, he runs an intermediate out route. And Stefon, who’s at Z, he’s got the high angle 7 heaven. There’s no timeouts left, we’re at our 39, and I remember calling the play and saying, ‘Guys, I’m going to give one of you a chance. They had just run all the way down the field and then they had to run back, and these guys are blocking their tails off, and they know I have to hold onto the ball to let these guys get down the field.”

“The rookie safety is a great player, had an awesome year, but he was beat, so Stefon just flattened the angle a little bit. I just threw it to the sideline. I remember I lost vision of him a little bit behind my right guard and I couldn’t really see. I knew the ball came out of my hand really, really well. Sometimes it comes out good and this came out great — I knew it was right where I wanted to put it. But I couldn’t see where Stefon was. And all of a sudden I see Stefon’s hands, his white gloves, just coming out of nowhere, and I’m like, ‘He’s gonna catch this ball.’ And he catches it. And I tell you, I’ve been in some loud stadiums, but they went crazy. I mean it was nuts. It was the loudest I’ve ever heard. I’ve been in Seattle, I’ve been in Kansas City, where they set the world record for loudest outdoor stadium, but it was loud. It was so loud.”

“Everybody was yelling the same thing I was: ‘Get out of bounds! And he comes down and he turns back inside and this guy overshoots it. I don’t see any of that happen. I see Stefon fall and put his hand down and I’m like, ‘No! Get out of bounds!’ And then he starts running toward the end zone and he never gets tackled, and I don’t know what’s going on. You talk about the best moment? It was an unbelievable moment. I still don’t believe it sometimes, that it happened. It was so crazy.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/22/case-keenum-gives-an-incredible-breakdown-of-the-minneapolis-miracle/

Because of the importance of the game, it's likely going to be ranked as the greatest play in the history of the franchise...but I actually believe the Favre to Greg Lewis play is probably the greater play because of how Lewis was able to drag his feet in-bounds in such a tight window...and that play launched the Vikings into the season that they had.  It was the kind of trigger that Moss' Lambeau debut was for the '98 team.  

28 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Because of the importance of the game, it's likely going to be ranked as the greatest play in the history of the franchise...but I actually believe the Favre to Greg Lewis play is probably the greater play because of how Lewis was able to drag his feet in-bounds in such a tight window...and that play launched the Vikings into the season that they had.    

yes, and the Saints game play was also greatly predicated on their safety blowing the tackle. if he had just bear hugged Diggs and kept him inbounds... game over.

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

yes, and the Saints game play was also greatly predicated on their safety blowing the tackle. if he had just bear hugged Diggs and kept him inbounds... game over.

I think it was more that he arrived too early and was avoiding making contact with Diggs before the ball got there so he didn't get flagged for pass interference.

55 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Because of the importance of the game, it's likely going to be ranked as the greatest play in the history of the franchise...but I actually believe the Favre to Greg Lewis play is probably the greater play because of how Lewis was able to drag his feet in-bounds in such a tight window...and that play launched the Vikings into the season that they had.  It was the kind of trigger that Moss' Lambeau debut was for the '98 team.  

The Favre-Lewis play was fantastic. It's my #1. My #2 is the Minneapolis Miracle, and my #3 is Moss to Mo Hook and Ladder. 

8 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

The Favre-Lewis play was fantastic. It's my #1. My #2 is the Minneapolis Miracle, and my #3 is Moss to Mo Hook and Ladder. 

Those three were all great, and Tommy Kramer's tipped Hail Mary that Ahmad Rashad pulled in with one hand as he was backing into the end zone to beat Cleveland, and propel the Vikes into the playoffs belongs as one of the greats in team history as well.

10 hours ago, vike daddy said:

In January, Case Keenum was part of one of the great plays in NFL history when he completed the Minneapolis Miracle, the touchdown pass to Stefon Diggs on the last play of the Vikings’ playoff win over the Saints. Now Keenum is the Broncos’ quarterback, and he gave fans in Denver a fantastic breakdown of the play, both from an Xs and Os perspective, and from a human perspective. Keenum was at an event for Broncos season ticket holders when he was asked about the play, and he then spent several minutes at a whiteboard explaining every element of it:

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/06/21/keenum-explains-xs-os-of-the-minnesota-miracle-with-broncos-fans/

In the Vikings’ playbook, the play was known as “Gun buffalo right key left 7 heaven.” Keenum first explained what that means.

Keenum: “Buffalo is our formation. It’s three-by-one but it’s a ‘B’ word — buffalo — so that’s a bunch, and there’s an ‘f’ in it so that means the f is at the point. Key left is the protection, which means it’s a six-man protection, they’re going to block six. The offensive line blocked their tails off. In these situations, two-minute, these defensive ends, they know it’s a pass so they’re literally in a track stance and they’re just rushing as fast as it can. So it started there. They were incredible."

“I had my guy Adam Thielen at X and he had a 7 route. The first part of that play call was 7, so he had a 7 route, which was a corner route. He had more than his share of defenders. He ran a 7 route, I really wanted to throw to him, but he was covered up. On this side we layer it. There’s three layers. Kyle Rudolph, who was at Y, he runs the quick out to the sideline. Our F, Jarius Wright, he runs an intermediate out route. And Stefon, who’s at Z, he’s got the high angle 7 heaven. There’s no timeouts left, we’re at our 39, and I remember calling the play and saying, ‘Guys, I’m going to give one of you a chance. They had just run all the way down the field and then they had to run back, and these guys are blocking their tails off, and they know I have to hold onto the ball to let these guys get down the field.”

“The rookie safety is a great player, had an awesome year, but he was beat, so Stefon just flattened the angle a little bit. I just threw it to the sideline. I remember I lost vision of him a little bit behind my right guard and I couldn’t really see. I knew the ball came out of my hand really, really well. Sometimes it comes out good and this came out great — I knew it was right where I wanted to put it. But I couldn’t see where Stefon was. And all of a sudden I see Stefon’s hands, his white gloves, just coming out of nowhere, and I’m like, ‘He’s gonna catch this ball.’ And he catches it. And I tell you, I’ve been in some loud stadiums, but they went crazy. I mean it was nuts. It was the loudest I’ve ever heard. I’ve been in Seattle, I’ve been in Kansas City, where they set the world record for loudest outdoor stadium, but it was loud. It was so loud.”

“Everybody was yelling the same thing I was: ‘Get out of bounds! And he comes down and he turns back inside and this guy overshoots it. I don’t see any of that happen. I see Stefon fall and put his hand down and I’m like, ‘No! Get out of bounds!’ And then he starts running toward the end zone and he never gets tackled, and I don’t know what’s going on. You talk about the best moment? It was an unbelievable moment. I still don’t believe it sometimes, that it happened. It was so crazy.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/22/case-keenum-gives-an-incredible-breakdown-of-the-minneapolis-miracle/

This gives me chills

Diggs: “It was moment that I couldn’t even describe. For the people that were there, everybody felt it. We had just came back from an incomplete pass, and I was like, ‘We have one more chance, we can do it.’ While I am running, I see Marcus Williams, Saints safety. I take a snapshot of him, then I jump up and I try to high point the ball. In a split second, he didn’t touch me. Nobody touched me. Just like that, I figured out he missed. When I turned around, I tried to keep my feet, I was like, ‘I have to keep my feet because I’m running. We are going for it all.’ ”

https://www.vikings.com/news/stefon-diggs-wakes-up-with-good-morning-football

• 3 weeks later...

Even when he’s trying to relax with some pre-training camp golf in Lake Tahoe, Sean Payton can’t get away from what happened in the Land of 10,000 Lakes. The Saints coach was doing an interview with the NFL Network, when they brought in network intern Meghan Payton (his daughter), who asked about the playoff loss to the Vikings.Specifically, she asked if there was a play he wished he had over, other than the Minnesota Miracle, Stefon Diggs‘ game-winning touchdown pass.

Payton: “For someone who is really studying that game, there was a third-and-1 before we kicked that field goal to go up 24-23. We weren’t able to convert that third-and-1. We kicked a field goal with 20-some seconds left in the game. Had we been able to just get the one yard, we would have easily been able to run the clock down to 3 seconds and hopefully kick the field goal and not give the Vikings another possession. So I would say that would be a play I beat myself up over, or we think about a lot and that mattered in that game a lot.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/16/sean-paytons-daughter-grills-him-about-playoff-loss/

aww, that's a shame.

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Even when he’s trying to relax with some pre-training camp golf in Lake Tahoe, Sean Payton can’t get away from what happened in the Land of 10,000 Lakes. The Saints coach was doing an interview with the NFL Network, when they brought in network intern Meghan Payton (his daughter), who asked about the playoff loss to the Vikings.Specifically, she asked if there was a play he wished he had over, other than the Minnesota Miracle, Stefon Diggs‘ game-winning touchdown pass.

Payton: “For someone who is really studying that game, there was a third-and-1 before we kicked that field goal to go up 24-23. We weren’t able to convert that third-and-1. We kicked a field goal with 20-some seconds left in the game. Had we been able to just get the one yard, we would have easily been able to run the clock down to 3 seconds and hopefully kick the field goal and not give the Vikings another possession. So I would say that would be a play I beat myself up over, or we think about a lot and that mattered in that game a lot.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/16/sean-paytons-daughter-grills-him-about-playoff-loss/

aww, that's a shame.

I guess we'll have to play in the playoffs again this year for the tiebreaker...they got one in '09, we got one last year...one more time for old time's sake.

Archived