GWT: Week 19 Saints @ Vikings

gopherwrestler

GWT: Week 19 Saints @ Vikings  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

18 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

More interesting stats:

Saints haven't been great on third down this year, which is somewhat odd because they have routinely been at or very near the top in 3rd down conversion% for the last decade. 

However, they're still number 2 in yards/drive and number 2 in points/drive, so they've been moving the ball really well on first and second down. Number 7 in passing first downs, and number 3 in rushing first downs.  They lead the league in yards/play both passing and rushing.

In order to win this game the Saints are going to need a flawless game from Brees and that offensive line. The defense is going to have to create a turnover or two and give the offense short fields in order to score on the Vikings defense.

I don't think we have a chance unless we play a great all-around game.

I think we have CAN beat the Vikings, but I don't like our chances.

1 minute ago, JMG5 said:

In order to win this game the Saints are going to need a flawless game from Brees and that offensive line. The defense is going to have to create a turnover or two and give the offense short fields in order to score on the Vikings defense.

I don't think we have a chance unless we play a great all-around game.

I think we have CAN beat the Vikings, but I don't like our chances.

Also, I think we're gonna need a great game from Wil Lutz.  I can see us moving the ball into field goal range a lot, but not being able to get it in the end zone.

5 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Also, I think we're gonna need a great game from Wil Lutz.  I can see us moving the ball into field goal range a lot, but not being able to get it in the end zone.

He's been pretty solid since Mike Westhoff came in, but I agree. We need a great performance from everyone in order to win. It should be a great game.

20 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

The defense is going to have to create a turnover or two and give the offense short fields in order to score on the Vikings defense.

i think this would be one of the biggest factors for the saints if they win. the vikings have been great at home defensively so any way the saints can get extra yards (turnovers, returns, penalties, etc.) will go a long way. fortunately for the saints they are good at forcing turnovers.

the vikings defense have given up 8 touchdowns this year at home and 3 of those were in garbage time. the saints scored the most against the vikings in minnesota with 19 points, though 7 of those came with less than two minute left when they were down 17. the vikes only loss at home was to the lions but it was their offense that cost them the game. they lost 7-14 and turned the ball over 3 times. they only gave up 14 points and 251 yards of offense.

the vikes gave up 300+ yards at home twice during the season to NO and TB, both in the first three weeks. after that the most they gave up was 254 to the rams. 

5 minutes ago, whitehops said:

the vikes only loss at home was to the lions but it was their offense that cost them the game. they lost 7-14 and turned the ball over 3 times. they only gave up 14 points and 251 yards of offense.

yes, but in that Detroit game, our defense dropped three easy interceptions too. so that could have changed the game easily.

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

yes, but in that Detroit game, our defense dropped three easy interceptions too. so that could have changed the game easily.

if ifs and buts were candy and nuts...

those dropped interceptions "cost us" that game just like they could cost us the game this weekend. i was talking about what actually happened, not hypotheticals.

11 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

What is the best secondary Case Keenum has played this year?

by net yards/attempt, the ravens (5.6), bengals (5.6), falcons (5.8) and steelers (5.8) were top 10 pass defenses (in order). it was a mixed bag against those teams, as the pass offense was putrid against the steelers, bad against the ravens, good against the falcons and incredible against the bengals but we completely blew them out so probably not the best indicator (i think they had a lot of injuries?). his two worst game by adjusted yards/attempt came to the steelers and ravens. 3 of his best six games came against the bengals, falcons and rams (who had the 11th best passing defense by net yards/attempt). 

i didn't get to watch the ravens game but the steelers game was the one time i saw the offensive line get dominated, keenum was under severe pressure the entire time and obviously the offense couldn't do anything.

1 hour ago, whitehops said:

by net yards/attempt, the ravens (5.6), bengals (5.6), falcons (5.8) and steelers (5.8) were top 10 pass defenses (in order). it was a mixed bag against those teams, as the pass offense was putrid against the steelers, bad against the ravens, good against the falcons and incredible against the bengals but we completely blew them out so probably not the best indicator (i think they had a lot of injuries?). his two worst game by adjusted yards/attempt came to the steelers and ravens. 3 of his best six games came against the bengals, falcons and rams (who had the 11th best passing defense by net yards/attempt). 

i didn't get to watch the ravens game but the steelers game was the one time i saw the offensive line get dominated, keenum was under severe pressure the entire time and obviously the offense couldn't do anything.

Falcons were missing Trufant and Poole that game. 

Archived