GWT: Week 19 Saints @ Vikings

gopherwrestler

GWT: Week 19 Saints @ Vikings  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

One factor I haven't heard discussed yet is how the loss of Saints starting OG Andrus Peat will impact the game.  Is he a big loss, or will the Saints be able to find a replacement without too much of a problem?  If there is a big weak spot in the middle of the Saints' O-line, Linval Joseph and/or Tom Johnson could be feasting.

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

One factor I haven't heard discussed yet is how the loss of Saints starting OG Andrus Peat will impact the game.  Is he a big loss, or will the Saints be able to find a replacement without too much of a problem?  If there is a big weak spot in the middle of the Saints' O-line, Linval Joseph and/or Tom Johnson could be feasting.

It's a problem for our depth, Senio Kelemete can fill in fine for Peat at LG. The more hurtful thing with losing Peat is if Armstead goes down at any time (which happens a decent amount...) we have no one to play LT. Normally Peat would slide over to LT and Kelemete at LG. Now we would have like.... Alvin Kamara at LT or something. 

13 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

This game will come down to how well Keenum plays, the Saints will be huge favourites, because Keenum is an unknown as a playoff QB and until he proves his worth, the Saints should win this game.

Line on the game is Vikings -4 (last I saw). So Saints aren't favorites at all.

16 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

This game will come down to how well Keenum plays, the Saints will be huge favourites, because Keenum is an unknown as a playoff QB and until he proves his worth, the Saints should win this game.

There's no way the Saints are or should be favorites, going on the road against the best defense in the league.  The game will come down to whether or not the Saints defense can keep the score low, because Saints aren't scoring a lot of points here.

9 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

The game will come down to whether or not the Saints defense can keep the score low, because Saints aren't scoring a lot of points here.

I would add that we need the Vikings to make mistakes on both sides of the ball. To win here, we need to get a lead and fight to hold it. We cannot be playing from behind. A few key turnovers deep in their territory would help a ton plus forgetting to cover our receivers here and there. Failing those things, our chances of escaping with a W are low. 

I say these things considering that against this D in their stadium, coming from (too far) behind is probably not an option. 

On 1/8/2018 at 5:41 PM, doomer said:

True. 8 starters. Brutal :/

Some of those are additions by subtraction.  Guys like Kenny V. are just as likely/more likely to be an issue than a solution.  Only Klein and Peat are really losses and since then we've added players back from injury/suspension that will help as well.

On 1/8/2018 at 6:31 PM, Broncofan said:

The big injuries to NO are the interior OL & pass rush.   That's the top OL in the game with Peat there and their best pass rusher in Okafor.   

Still, they were also a sieve pass D on MNF Week 1.  Obviously that's not the case anymore.   Rudolph and McKinnon pose the biggest matchup problems, if Rudolph is healthy (which he should be, I guess).  

Game flow is going to be key here - NO gets ahead, they can really put more pressure on Keenum to play catchup, which plays to their biggest strength.   MIN gets ahead, they can attack NO's vulnerable run D. 

Jordan is definitely our best pass rusher not Okafor and the replacements for Okafor have been pretty much just as productive.  The biggest losses on our team are Klein and Peat.  The rest aren't a huge loss IMO.

9 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

It's a problem for our depth, Senio Kelemete can fill in fine for Peat at LG. The more hurtful thing with losing Peat is if Armstead goes down at any time (which happens a decent amount...) we have no one to play LT. Normally Peat would slide over to LT and Kelemete at LG. Now we would have like.... Alvin Kamara at LT or something. 

Peat is great. I think he’ll earn himself some pro bowls in the future...so his loss isn’t negligible. But Kelemete is a good backup...he’s play a ton this year. Spartica is spot on. I think we’ll be ok without Peat, but we’d be in big trouble if someone else went down. 

1 hour ago, nolaexpat said:

I would add that we need the Vikings to make mistakes on both sides of the ball. To win here, we need to get a lead and fight to hold it. We cannot be playing from behind. A few key turnovers deep in their territory would help a ton plus forgetting to cover our receivers here and there. Failing those things, our chances of escaping with a W are low. 

I say these things considering that against this D in their stadium, coming from (too far) behind is probably not an option. 

No way, pal.  You guys exceeded way more than your quota of takeaways back in '09.   ;)

12 minutes ago, Raves said:

Some of those are additions by subtraction.  Guys like Kenny V. are just as likely/more likely to be an issue than a solution.  Only Klein and Peat are really losses and since then we've added players back from injury/suspension that will help as well.

Jordan is definitely our best pass rusher not Okafor and the replacements for Okafor have been pretty much just as productive.  The biggest losses on our team are Klein and Peat.  The rest aren't a huge loss IMO.

Vaccaro hurts quite a bit. He was ranked between top 10-top 15 for his coverage in the slot for QB Rating against him. Having him would have helped to neutralize a guy like McCaffrey who made several plays on us to keep the chains moving, and had the big touchdown with a our LB getting absolutely destroyed in coverage on him. Or we could have had him on Greg Olson, who also destroyed us last week. Vaccaro has also done well against TE's this year. I have very little concern over Theilen/Diggs as I think Lattimore/Crawley will be fine on them. My bigger concerns are Rudolph/Mckinnon, who will likely have big days without Vaccaro. I think those 2 will be a tough matchup for our defense in its current state.

49 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

No way, pal.  You guys exceeded way more than your quota of takeaways back in '09.   ;)

Nah man we made up for it by not being able to get turnovers at all the last few years. And getting turnovers was that team's MO, while it's not as much with this team. So I'd say we're still due a couple. :) 

2 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

Nah man we made up for it by not being able to get turnovers at all the last few years. And getting turnovers was that team's MO, while it's not as much with this team. So I'd say we're still due a couple. :) 

Any chance I could talk you into just saving those for next season?

Archived