GWT: Week 19 Saints @ Vikings

gopherwrestler

GWT: Week 19 Saints @ Vikings  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

30 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I honestly never knew Bree's struggled on the road in the playoffs this much (it isn't THAT bad of numbers) is the splits similar in the regular season too?

Honestly, I don't feel like those stats matter much. This is by far the most balanced Saints team Brees has had. This team has won games in all kinds of ways and doesn't need him to throw for 400 yards to win. Also as mentioned, a lot of those games were outside and those previous teams were not built to win outside and put extra pressure on Brees.

I don't expect Brees to underperform because he sucks on road games, it'll have to be really good defense to stop the Saints .

All of Drew Brees' road playoff games have been outdoors, in January. Lucky for him the Vikings could've had a huge HF advantage but they built another cozy, climate controlled dome.

I'm excited to watch the Vikings defense vs the Saints offense. This is far and away the best matchup of the weekend. Still shocks me that we're 2 games away from the SB and Case Keenum, Blake Bortles, Marcus Mariota and Nick Foles are still starting for active teams. Weird year in the NFL.

I haven't been overly impressed with the Vikings offense either time they played GB this year, Saints defense is completely different than it has been in past years. Don't think the Vikings score more than 21 unless they get some turnovers, which is entirely possible with that defense.

I'll take the Saints 21 Vikings 17. 

All of Drew Brees' road playoff games have been outdoors, in January. Lucky for him the Vikings could've had a huge HF advantage but they built another cozy, climate controlled dome.

Yes, with the way this team is built, I think they'd be more feared if teams had to go against this defense in the cold.

for people that didn't get to see keenum play a lot this year, his elusiveness is something he brings to the table:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvPEqUmWEsI

can't find the stat right now but i read a tweet a couple weeks ago that keenum has by far the best pressure to sack ratio, specifically because he was so good at making defenders miss. keenum is still more of a game manager but he is a pretty dynamic one.

This is the game I figured we'd have to play sooner or later. The Saints team that has been playing the last few weeks should lose this one handily something like 31-12. We have the tools to win here and we absolutely can but we have to want it and, given how the Carolina game ended, I'm just not convinced that we do. Our rookies need another year or so to marinate. Hopefully OldManBrees can stay strong for another year.

I think we make a better showing than the awful score I listed above but the Vikes should more than cover. 28-21 or thereabouts and the outcome is probably never in any doubt. I'll join the other Saints fans in extending the, "If you win here, I hope you guys win it all" card. Here's to injury-free and fun football.

52 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Honestly, I don't feel like those stats matter much. This is by far the most balanced Saints team Brees has had. This team has won games in all kinds of ways and doesn't need him to throw for 400 yards to win. Also as mentioned, a lot of those games were outside and those previous teams were not built to win outside and put extra pressure on Brees.

I don't expect Brees to underperform because he sucks on road games, it'll have to be really good defense to stop the Saints .

Also, in three of those road games, he was playing 06 Chicago defense, 2011 49er defense, and 2013 Seahawks defense.  And now he'll play another number 1 defense on the road.

2 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I'm with you. If the Saints lose I'd like to see the Vikings win it. Would be cool to see them finally win one, and also have it be essentially a home game for the Super Bowl.

I live in MN...so I’m rooting for the Vikings in the NFC if they get lucky and get past the Saints. :) it’s always better when the hometown town is happy (though I’d certainly manage if the Saints beat them this week).

Just now, Jlowe22 said:

Also, in three of those road games, he was playing 06 Chicago defense, 2011 49er defense, and 2013 Seahawks defense.  And now he'll play another number 1 defense on the road.

And he played super well against the Niners. That was one of the best footballs games I've ever seen, and an EPIC performance by Alex Smith that people leave out when focusing on his postseason shortcomings. If that was Peyton Manning doing exactly what Alex Smith did in that game, that would be widely talked about as one of the best duels between HOF QBs of all time.

42 minutes ago, whitehops said:

for people that didn't get to see keenum play a lot this year, his elusiveness is something he brings to the table:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvPEqUmWEsI

can't find the stat right now but i read a tweet a couple weeks ago that keenum has by far the best pressure to sack ratio, specifically because he was so good at making defenders miss. keenum is still more of a game manager but he is a pretty dynamic one.

Agreed, I've been highlighting his ability to escape pressure and make plays all year, which has kept several drives alive for the Vikings this season. 

7 minutes ago, Falconof Shadows said:

I see this game as Saints Qb>Vikings QB but rest of Vikings> rest of saints. This game is going to come down to Turnovers and the referees which have been terrible lately.

Kamara/Ingram? Have been the most productive RB duo in NFL history this year..

Michael Thomas vs Rhodes should also be a fun matchup. Thomas has been playing great as of late.

20 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I live in MN...so I’m rooting for the Vikings in the NFC if they get lucky and get past the Saints. :) it’s always better when the hometown town is happy (though I’d certainly manage if the Saints beat them this week).

Yeah same here. Pretty much my whole family is Vikings fans, and I typically cheer for them when they aren't playing the Saints. I also just enjoy their team this year. Their defense is obviously filled with all sorts of big name/highly drafted players, but their offense is one of the best underdog/overachieving units I've seen. Undrafted Keenum with a big year filling in due to injury, Adam Theilen having a huge year with his undrafted background, Diggs being a 5th round pick, Latavius Murray being a 6th round pick, and Jerick Mckinnon being a mid round pick. Fun to watch them have success with guys like them leading the offense.  

31 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

And he played super well against the Niners. That was one of the best footballs games I've ever seen, and an EPIC performance by Alex Smith that people leave out when focusing on his postseason shortcomings. If that was Peyton Manning doing exactly what Alex Smith did in that game, that would be widely talked about as one of the best duels between HOF QBs of all time.

Yes, but narrative of course, is road Brees not gettin it done.

7 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Yeah same here. Pretty much my whole family is Vikings fans, and I typically cheer for them when they aren't playing the Saints. I also just enjoy their team this year. Their defense is obviously filled with all sorts of big name/highly drafted players, but their offense is one of the best underdog/overachieving units I've seen. Undrafted Keenum with a big year filling in due to injury, Adam Theilen having a huge year with his undrafted background, Diggs being a 5th round pick, Latavius Murray being a 6th round pick, and Jerick Mckinnon being a mid round pick. Fun to watch them have success with guys like them leading the offense.  

Are you going to the game this Sunday?

Archived