GWT: Week 19 Jags @ Steelers

gopherwrestler

GWT: Week 19 Jags @ Steelers  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

Just now, iPwn said:

I’m also confused why the playoffs are a different animal for the Jaguars offense, but it isn’t a different animal for a team that’s going to be facing a defense that just allowed 3 points in their last playoff game.

...to a 9-7 Bills squad

...who backed into the playoffs thanks to an Andy Dalton 4th and 12 miracle

...with Tyrod Taylor and then Peterman at QB

...with a gimpy Shady McCoy

...without much of anything at the WR positions

Yeah, truly I have no idea.

Just now, MWil23 said:

...to a 9-7 Bills squad

...who backed into the playoffs thanks to an Andy Dalton 4th and 12 miracle

...with Tyrod Taylor and then Peterman at QB

...with a gimpy Shady McCoy

...without much of anything at the WR positions

Yeah, truly I have no idea.

That also allowed 9 points the last time these two teams met. That was the best defense in football all year long. 

Just now, iPwn said:

That also allowed 9 points the last time these two teams met. That was the best defense in football all year long. 

Perhaps. Pittsburgh was also pretty "meh" at that point in the year. They almost lost to the Browns in Week 1 less than a month before that game. I don't expect Ben to throw 5 more picks again either.

I get why Pittsburgh is the favorite. They deserve to be. But this attitude that Jacksonville doesn’t stand a chance is ridiculous.

The Jaguars scored more points throughout the year, turned the ball over less, allowed fewer points, forced more turnovers. I could add a lot more. But they don’t stand a chance because a player that played all 16 games while they did that will still be playing? 

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

Well, I'm sold

My point is that just because an offense plays poorly one game, it doesn’t mean that they won’t bounce back the next week just because “playoff football”.

10 minutes ago, iPwn said:

My point is that just because an offense plays poorly one game, it doesn’t mean that they won’t bounce back the next week just because “playoff football”.

They haven't played poorly for "just one game". It's been nearly a month since they've put together a strong performance. 

And if you don't believe that playoff experience is a factor - do you, bro. 

9 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

They haven't played poorly for "just one game". It's been nearly a month since they've put together a strong performance. 

And if you don't believe that playoff experience is a factor - do you, bro. 

Over the last month, they have scored 30, 45, 33, 15 (in a meaningless game), and 10. Where is this “nearly a month” nonsense coming from? Even if you think a game that meant absolutely nothing to them is indicative of how they are playing, at worst it’s a two game stretch.

54 minutes ago, iPwn said:

The last playoff team to be held to 10 points and win put up 24 the following week.

I’m also confused why the playoffs are a different animal for the Jaguars offense, but it isn’t a different animal for a team that’s going to be facing a defense that just allowed 3 points in their last playoff game.

1 hour ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Nope. Those were actually his only plays.

1 hour ago, iPwn said:

I’m confused. Was he not on the field all season as they became the #6 scoring team?

1.  The Jags defense scored points for their offense.  Either directly with returns or indirectly with field position.

2.  The Jags had the ability to play the suck bag AFCS along with a host of other scrub teams all season.

3.  The Jags played a whole bunch of meaningless football this season.  Either through teams that packed it in, or were down and tapped out.

4.  In the playoffs, through better competition, more game film, and players just trying harder, weaknesses get exposed and more pronounced.  Just like we saw in Bills game - from both sides.

Are the Steelers capable of just no-showing and losing, or is Bortles capable of having a fluke good game?  Yes.  But as far as odds go, I don't think the Jags have a chance of scoring unless the Steelers vomit all over themselves and give the ball away.

10 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Over the last month, they have scored 30, 45, 33, 15 (in a meaningless game), and 10. Where is this “nearly a month” nonsense coming from? Even if you think a game that meant absolutely nothing to them is indicative of how they are playing, at worst it’s a two game stretch.

Against the 49ers, Bortles did everything he could to throw the game away behind a run game that wasn't playing especially well. That includes a pick six and turnovers that set the 49ers up in short fields. You and I both know the offense wasn't playing well that game, despite the score. The Titans and Bills games speak for themselves.

So it's been since December 17th that they've put up a strong performance (against a sorry Texans team, killed with injuries). Pittsburgh-Jags will be January 14th. So...nearly a month. 

1 minute ago, Starless said:

Let's not pretend that there haven't been Bortles-tier QBs in the past who have gotten to Super Bowls on the backs of elite defensive units.

@Yin-Yang is either a Steelers, Titans, or some other rival fan that loves to hate anything Jaguars.

It's all good, that means we're getting good. No reason to randomly spark arguments with anything and everything posted about the team otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Starless said:

Let's not pretend that there haven't been Bortles-tier QBs in the past who have gotten to Super Bowls on the backs of elite defensive units.

We have. 

FWIW, I'm not even rooting against Jacksonville here. I hope they win. I just responded to @iPwn's comment because A) the whole "last time a team scored 10 points" thing is irrelevant, and B) it seems some have a problem with others throwing doubt or criticizing Bortles. He deserves both.

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

@Yin-Yang is either a Steelers, Titans, or some other rival fan that loves to hate anything Jaguars.

Guess again, Fred. I've rooted for the Jags all season (although guilty of rooting for Houston too).

Just because I disagree with two fans, guess that makes me a hater. You got me. Bortles is the most criticized player in NFL history and none should be questioning the Jaguars' offense!

12 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Guess again, Fred. I've rooted for the Jags all season (although guilty of rooting for Houston too).

Just because I disagree with two fans, guess that makes me a hater. You got me. Bortles is the most criticized player in NFL history and none should be questioning the Jaguars' offense!

In a two day period...one in which you are throwing random insults at.

As for your post referring to Ipwn, who is saying Blake doesn't deserve criticism? He clearly is the weak link of this team and we live and die by how he ultimately plays and if he has a repeat of Buffalo the chances of winning are slim.

Doesn't mean it's not ridiculous what some people are saying regarding our chances in this game. We beat this team 30-9 earlier in the year. That was earlier this season and ultimately means little as far as what happens this week, but that still shows we can play with this team and matchup well. 

We clearly aren't favorites nor should we be, but it SHOULD be a good game and unless Blake can't spark any drives/turns it over several times I expect it's pretty close when all is said and done. These two teams usually have pretty good battles and we've had Big Ben's # pretty much his whole career.

Archived