GWT: Week 19 Jags @ Steelers

gopherwrestler

GWT: Week 19 Jags @ Steelers  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

5 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

haha, that was a fun game. Thank you for bringing that back into my head.

Yeah, that was a wild one.  Steelers had a number of injuries, but still should have beaten a Tebow-led team.

I was actually at that game.  Was sick as a dog, bed ridden, but forced myself to go.  By the time it went to OT, I was like "Are you ******* kidding me?  Just end it already!"  Next thing you know, Tebow throws the best pass of his career to Demariyus Thomas and Ike Taylor officially announces "I'm done" as he gives chase for an 80 yd TD.

The biggest question for this game isn't how Bortles plays but whether the Steelers can find ways to neutralize the Jags' elite perimeter corners in the passing game. Last time Roethlisberger tried to force it downfield to Brown on a number of occasions and while Brown won on some of those, it also got Ben picked off three times. Complicating matters further is the fact that the Jags have a couple of very good safeties who can limit what offenses can do in the middle of the field. The only QB who's been able to actually have a successful day at the office this year against their pass defense was James Garoppolo, and he ran a passing game that was predicated on getting the ball out before the defense had a chance to sit on his receivers' routes - something that isn't really in Roethlisberger's DNA.

I think for the Steelers to win, they'll have to go against type and operate a passing attack predicated on getting the ball out very quickly to Brown and Bell, within 5 yards of the LoS, and seeing if they can make yards after the catch. Knowing how stubborn Todd Haley is, I'm not sure he'll be willing to enact such a game plan, but we'll see.

39 minutes ago, Starless said:

The only QB who's been able to actually have a successful day at the office this year against their pass defense was James Garoppolo, and he ran a passing game that was predicated on getting the ball out before the defense had a chance to sit on his receivers' routes -

I think the biggest question the Jaguars defense faces in a potential run to the title is whether they have the plays ready to adjust to this style of offense.

Our defense is largely predicated solely on just being more talented than the players we’re facing. We play simple zones and simple man coverages that are relatively easy to see what’s going on. It’s just that the outside Corners are so good, the LBs are so fast, and the back Safeties are smart enough to see what’s going on, that there’s rarely anywhere to go with the ball that’s going to hurt the team. Our corners out-muscle receivers in press and throw off the timing of the routes. Our hand offs between zones are crisp and tight with almost no margin for error in a throw; and the offense’s timing is already off. Our Corners are always in the right spot on a route. And the DL is so good that the QB has to get the ball out before routes develop and these windows even present.

The only deception we run is when a player reads something and decides themselves to bait a throw. For instance, Jalen saw that they ran a play against Bouye and then two plays later flipped the formation and lined up exactly the same. He figured out the route his receiver was running and then baited Peterman into thinking his receiver was open, then broke on the play for the pick that sealed the game. Bouye’s pick against Rivers in OT was the same sort of thing. As was Jalen’s pick of Brissett.

Where we get into trouble is against teams that can run quick pick plays. We play off of them and allow them to complete stuff underneath, playing a more bend but don’t break style. Gabbert, Goff, Garoppolo all got those looks for the majority of the games we played and they all had varying levels of success, and even if they didn’t have the success personally, routes were open that they missed.

If we’re going to beat Brady (and Ben if they do employ a quick passing offense), we have to have another trick up our sleeve. We have to mix coverages and cause enough confusion that we have time to break on those short routes. We have to play tight and work around pick plays enough so that we don’t get forced out of our traditional looks. My hope is that because the 49ers game didn’t mean anything to our playoff chances, they didn’t bother breaking out their coverages that they have ready for these games. Use them when you need them and don’t let anyone know you have them unless you have to, you know? But I also feel like we’re not going to have them, and we’re going to let those teams do to us what Seattle let the Patriots do in the Super Bowl. Guess we’ll see.

2 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

Yeah, that was a wild one.  Steelers had a number of injuries, but still should have beaten a Tebow-led team.

I was actually at that game.  Was sick as a dog, bed ridden, but forced myself to go.  By the time it went to OT, I was like "Are you ******* kidding me?  Just end it already!"  Next thing you know, Tebow throws the best pass of his career to Demariyus Thomas and Ike Taylor officially announces "I'm done" as he gives chase for an 80 yd TD.

ike really was the reason that happened, terrible attempt of a tackle , but our secondary started to tackle in such a way back then.  Cowher wouldn't have tolerated such tackling and I doubt it would have got to that stage, but this is now the tomlin era.  what an embarrassing loss, the worst ever for me anyways.

Maybe I'm wrong about Jacksonville, so here goes:

The Jaguars defense is amazing. Is this due to the coach letting his players freelance to make a play, or is it a very disciplined, stick to fundamentals type of approach, and all the turnovers are due to elite talent?

Maybe some combination of both?

7 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Maybe I'm wrong about Jacksonville, so here goes:

The Jaguars defense is amazing. Is this due to the coach letting his players freelance to make a play, or is it a very disciplined, stick to fundamentals type of approach, and all the turnovers are due to elite talent?

Maybe some combination of both?

The front 7 is very structured and relies on gap discipline.  In fact,  a lot of the Jaguars bad run D statistics early on was due to misfits. Aside from week 2 vs Tenn when the defense wore down,  most games they do a good job controlling the run game and then boom 70 yard run.

As for the back end, they are definitely very fundamentally sound. However, the two cornerbacks are talented enough and trust the safeties enough that they will bait QBs into throwing INTs

38 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

ike really was the reason that happened, terrible attempt of a tackle , but our secondary started to tackle in such a way back then.  Cowher wouldn't have tolerated such tackling and I doubt it would have got to that stage, but this is now the tomlin era.  what an embarrassing loss, the worst ever for me anyways.

I'd like to see a breakdown of your posts. I'm betting 90% of them have a shoehorned criticism of Mike Tomlin. We get it, dude, you don't like Tomlin. 

4 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'd like to see a breakdown of your posts. I'm betting 90% of them have a shoehorned criticism of Mike Tomlin. We get it, dude, you don't like Tomlin. 

not quite. I don't mind him, but he is a departure from a more fundamental coaching style such as Noll or Cowher, tackling for example or OL. The OL finally got addressed, and tackling is better now but for a while it was bad.

Archived