GWT: Week 19 Jags @ Steelers

gopherwrestler

GWT: Week 19 Jags @ Steelers  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Agree 100 percent.  But if you are willing to talk the talk pre-game, then fail and you will get the post-game fallout.  Which in the end, is nothing more than PR stuff and feel-good moments for JAX and their fans, and more salt in the wound for the PIT fanbase/players.    Once you make this kind of stuff public, it's the inevitable result.  

Once games start next week, this will be all forgotten - at least, until the next JAX-PIT rematch.  Since both teams won the division, it's locked in for 2018.  THAT should be must-see TV lol.

I think there is a bit of difference here too, and I will have to admit it has to do with optics. The Jaguars have played the underdog card all season long. The city as a whole have played the "no respect" card all season long. Even as players like Ramsey, Campbell, Bouye, and Malik got pro-bowl nods, and the first 3 plus Telvin get All-Pro nods. The Steelers talking about New England plays into that "no respect" card, and even as the game got here, nobody (especially in the media) penned the Jaguars to win against Pittsburgh. Even folks in Jacksonville weren't sure they can do it. So it plays into the Steelers looking ahead optics and the Jaguars "no respect" optics.

Now, Jalen obviously was trying to hype up the fans at a fan event. But, again, looking at optics, anyone *really* going to give this Jaguar team a chance at beating the Patriors this weekend? Highly doubt it. So regardless of that comment by Jalen, the narrative will remain the same for this team: "no respect". No one is really going to make a case that the Jaguars are overlooking the Patriots.

You already hear the comments from the team today about not looking ahead and how huge a challenge the Patriots are. 

So while it may get some attention, it doesn't really fit the "narrative", so at the end of the day, I don't think it will get much traction.

Archived