Training Camp

candyman93

3 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

For sure. I would love to keep Shelton, Bryant, Brantley, Ogunjobi, Coley, and Meder, but it seems like that might be one too many.

I am low on Meder, a part from the most important play of the season last year he was pretty bad. Opposing teams averaged high 4's or 5 YPC when running at him. (i saw it some where, it could of been higher). 
He will do better in the 4-3/4-2 but I don't think he is worth too much. If it wasn't for the blocked kick he wouldn't get picked up. 

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

I am low on Meder, a part from the most important play of the season last year he was pretty bad. Opposing teams averaged high 4's or 5 YPC when running at him. (i saw it some where, it could of been higher). 
He will do better in the 4-3/4-2 but I don't think he is worth too much. If it wasn't for the blocked kick he wouldn't get picked up. 

I like Meder, he isn't a superstar but he is quality depth that can fill in. I'd cut Brantly before Meder at this point.

45 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I like Meder, he isn't a superstar but he is quality depth that can fill in. I'd cut Brantly before Meder at this point.

I think we have the depth outside of Meder at the moment, Bryant, Shelton, Conley, Larry then Branetly. But if Brantley sucks then I am ok with keeping Meder. I think I like the idea of Brantley more than Brantely himself. 

Against heavy sets on early downs I would like to see...

Garret   Shelton       Larry     Bryant.
 Peppers         Kirksey                Schobert            Collins

That defense is going to stop the run good. 

8 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I think we have the depth outside of Meder at the moment, Bryant, Shelton, Conley, Larry then Branetly. But if Brantley sucks then I am ok with keeping Meder. I think I like the idea of Brantley more than Brantely himself. 

Against heavy sets on early downs I would like to see...

Garret   Shelton       Larry     Bryant.
 Peppers         Kirksey                Schobert            Collins

That defense is going to stop the run good. 

I think Brantley is probably more gifted but I'd take Meder giving 100% before Brantley giving considerably less than that. Have to see what kind of effort we get from him. Meder did get half a sack and they probably could have given him the whole sack because he made the initial contact even though Orchard helped him finish.

I would be watching other teams for injury, and calling them to try and sell Brantley when they happen.  His stock is higher than the 6th we gave because he has been cleared.  I can't shake the feeling that he is going to bust though due to work ethic.  Get a decent DB or WR for him in trade, or a better pick next year, and chalk it up as a win.

So what if he does bust, he was a 6th round pick if we cut him oh well, you don't trade him or cut him, his potential alone makes him more valuable than meder, Meder has peaked he is what he is, Brantley was a possible 1st round pick based on talent that we got in the 6th you keep him in hopes he puts it all together and you have another disruptive force for your d line

15 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

So what if he does bust, he was a 6th round pick if we cut him oh well, you don't trade him or cut him, his potential alone makes him more valuable than meder, Meder has peaked he is what he is, Brantley was a possible 1st round pick based on talent that we got in the 6th you keep him in hopes he puts it all together and you have another disruptive force for your d line

So keep Cam Erving over Greco too? It is too early to decide on Brantley but we'd have been better off cutting Erving after his first preseason. If it appears that we would be better off cutting Brantley after his 1st preseason I have no issue doing it.

1 hour ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

That is what the coaches and management are paid for.  They work with him daily.  If it really is a work ethic issue, they would, or at least should know it all too well by this point.  If that is the case, you don't just hold him and hope that the guy suddenly stops being lazy, only to cut him a couple of years later when he does not.  You sell high after you bought low.

4 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

So keep Cam Erving over Greco too? It is too early to decide on Brantley but we'd have been better off cutting Erving after his first preseason. If it appears that we would be better off cutting Brantley after his 1st preseason I have no issue doing it.

Well firstly John Greco has proven to be a better player than cam is over a few years, it's not like cam just finished up his first training camp like Brantley did. I don't think you can say you are better off cutting Brantley after his first camp because the guy got hurt and needed to have surgery, I also do not agree in any sense you can say a team is better off without a player after one training camp I don't believe that's possible at all unless he does something like gets a big time arrest or something, it is going to take most players more than a year to even adjust to the league let alone learn schemes. Cutting Brantley doesn't make us better IMO 

3 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

That is what the coaches and management are paid for.  They work with him daily.  If it really is a work ethic issue, they would, or at least should know it all too well by this point.  If that is the case, you don't just hold him and hope that the guy suddenly stops being lazy, only to cut him a couple of years later when he does not.  You sell high after you bought low.

Ok so you have a player who was high talent and fell to you late literally no risk to you at all, he has work ethic issues and you feel like you can't fix him please explain to me how you are going to sell high after buying low on a player to a team cause if I'm a gm and that happened after just a time frame of training camp that's a huge red flag to me and I am not giving you anything of any substantial value for him period 

2 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Well firstly John Greco has proven to be a better player than cam is over a few years, it's not like cam just finished up his first training camp like Brantley did. I don't think you can say you are better off cutting Brantley after his first camp because the guy got hurt and needed to have surgery, I also do not agree in any sense you can say a team is better off without a player after one training camp I don't believe that's possible at all unless he does something like gets a big time arrest or something, it is going to take most players more than a year to even adjust to the league let alone learn schemes. Cutting Brantley doesn't make us better IMO 

It would if Meder brings more to the team. I'm not saying we should cut him but if Brantley doesn't look like he will be better than Meder after preseason cut him and put him on the practice squad if he goes unclaimed.

21 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Bruh those DL cuts are going to be brutal.

We're almost assuredly going to be cutting a guy who was highly productive this summer or a relatively high pick.

Our FO is usually good with stuff like this but maybe we can trade one of those guys for a WR with potential.

Archived