Training Camp

candyman93

I think this debate about DL and OL cuts isn't going to turn out like I think a lot of you are predicting.

I'm of the opinion that you keep your best talent. Therefore, you don't cut superior talent at a position of depth to keep a inferior talent at a least deep position group.  The reason you don't do that in the NFL is b/c you can add players from other teams via waivers or otherwise to boost the position group of weakness on one's roster.

That the talent and trade value maximization principle. That is the principle of Depodesta given a conversation regarding roster building, roster construction, and maximizing players values that I saw him give via a youtube video teleconference.

Therefore, it makes sense to keep 10 OLineman to protect OL depth (maybe the 9th and 10th OL aren't currently on the roster however). There's no rule against it. And many teams (I counted 19), keep 10 or even 11 OL at the 53-man cut. Therefore, you keep Cam and Greco with the hope to upgrade over Cam via the waiver wire.

The Eagles last year kept 11 DLs and 11 OLs....I see that as the talent maximization template for this year.

On 8/12/2017 at 5:29 AM, Mind Character said:

LT – 1
Joe Thomas,

LG – 3
Joel Bitonio,
Marcus Martin

-Starter ability. Needs to improve. A new chance and Coach Wylie can help him improve.

Spencer Drango (Swing LT/G)// LG/LT Swing Player from another team

C – 2
J.C. Tretter,
Austin Reitter

RG – 2
Kevin Zeitler
John Greco

RT – 2
Shon Coleman
- Like Coleman a lot, but he stands on stilts with poor contact balance and uncoordinated movement skills. Strong/elite punch and it's over if he can get his hands on you.

RT from another team with RT depth via Waiver // or Cameron Erving,- The all 22 from the Saints preseason game shows Ervings agility and sturdy anchor ableit there were 3 or 4 really bad moments that the common fan could point out, but they don't pay attention to the other plays.  No one really knows Cam's ability as they only have known him as a Browns center. In that way, he's not good, but his play at tackle at FSU made me have him as a top 3 tackle prospect heading into the draft. Coming out of FSU, Cam showed elite balance and kick step foot quickness as a tackle. Long arms and punch on the outside makes Cam a strong starter at tackle.

In that light, debating who to keep Brantley versus Meder...you don't debate....you keep both. Why cut one of them?? To keep Josh Boyce and Jordan Leslie at WR....why? To keep Tank Carder and a 4th QB.  In terms of the best talent on the roster, I think it necessitates that we keep 10 d-lineman.

On 8/12/2017 at 5:29 AM, Mind Character said:

RDE - 2
Myles Garrett,
Nate Orchard - Had a rough rookie year and was injured his second. Before injury, he was our best against the run. His skills are slept on. I still think he can be a special role player in the 43.

DT - 3
Desmond Bryant,- Special athlete with elite length and hand punching strength. Might be a breakout player in 43.
Larry Ogunjobi,
Trevon Coley

NT – 3
Danny Shelton,
Caleb Brantley,
- His skill set at Florida was the double arm press, hold the blocker, Find the ball, Throw the Blocker off...Strong qualities as a NT in 43. Can win with quickness and strength as a 3-tech as well.

Jamie Meder

LDE- 2
Emmanuel Ogbah,
Carl Nassib

I could even argue for keeping 11 DLs with Cam Johnson at DE.

We have many "no name LBs in the two deep that we can stash on the practice squad for week to week call up to active roster depth. The Eagles and Vikings and other teams do that to maintain vet roster depth. Therefore, going into the season the eagles had 4 LBs at the 53 man roster. We could do the same if not just have one more with 5 LBs. We could then stash BJ Bello, Ladell Flemming, Deon King, James Burgess, and even Alexander on the PS if necessary.

It's a savvy move to maintain players on your roster that are not eligible for the PS and/or would get snatched up in waivers.

4 hours ago, brownie man said:

Apparently Phillip Dorsett is available for trade. I'd trade the 6th from Pittsburgh for him. We need a slot receiver with some experience and some untapped potential. With Grigson being the guy that drafted him I could see it happening. 

On the flip side, if you can't get open for Andrew Luck, can you get open enough for whomever our starter is?

4 hours ago, Mind Character said:

I think this debate about DL and OL cuts isn't going to turn out like I think a lot of you are predicting.

I'm of the opinion that you keep your best talent. Therefore, you don't cut superior talent at a position of depth to keep a inferior talent at a least deep position group.  The reason you don't do that in the NFL is b/c you can add players from other teams via waivers or otherwise to boost the position group of weakness on one's roster.

That the talent and trade value maximization principle. That is the principle of Depodesta given a conversation regarding roster building, roster construction, and maximizing players values that I saw him give via a youtube video teleconference.

Therefore, it makes sense to keep 10 OLineman to protect OL depth (maybe the 9th and 10th OL aren't currently on the roster however). There's no rule against it. And many teams (I counted 19), keep 10 or even 11 OL at the 53-man cut. Therefore, you keep Cam and Greco with the hope to upgrade over Cam via the waiver wire.

The Eagles last year kept 11 DLs and 11 OLs....I see that as the talent maximization template for this year.

In that light, debating who to keep Brantley versus Meder...you don't debate....you keep both. Why cut one of them?? To keep Josh Boyce and Jordan Leslie at WR....why? To keep Tank Carder and a 4th QB.  In terms of the best talent on the roster, I think it necessitates that we keep 10 d-lineman.

I could even argue for keeping 11 DLs with Cam Johnson at DE.

We have many "no name LBs in the two deep that we can stash on the practice squad for week to week call up to active roster depth. The Eagles and Vikings and other teams do that to maintain vet roster depth. Therefore, going into the season the eagles had 4 LBs at the 53 man roster. We could do the same if not just have one more with 5 LBs. We could then stash BJ Bello, Ladell Flemming, Deon King, James Burgess, and even Alexander on the PS if necessary.

It's a savvy move to maintain players on your roster that are not eligible for the PS and/or would get snatched up in waivers.

This only works if you believe that the LBs are not good enough to be claimed from your PS by other teams.

On 8/18/2017 at 8:51 PM, Thomas5737 said:

I like Meder, he isn't a superstar but he is quality depth that can fill in. I'd cut Brantly before Meder at this point.

No, you can find try hard garbage pail guys off the street. You don't cut talented guys on a team that's devoid of talent.

5 hours ago, brownie man said:

Apparently Phillip Dorsett is available for trade. I'd trade the 6th from Pittsburgh for him. We need a slot receiver with some experience and some untapped potential. With Grigson being the guy that drafted him I could see it happening. 

I was a fan of his coming out, so I wouldn't mind it.  Had 16 YPC last year in a dumpster fire of a year for the Colts.

I don't think a late 6th gets it done, unless there's another conditional pick involved.

Archived