Training Camp

candyman93

3 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

One hour after practice finished. Kizer is out there running sprints and taking mental reps.

did the same day one. I'm on the bandwagon 

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2017/07/28/deshone-kizer-spoke-about-his-weaknesses-in-leadership/

You need to listen to his interview with 92.3 the fan Bull and Fox. It is a fantastic interview and you can get it from the site. Just listening to him talk and it makes you just want to fall in love with him. Dude says a lot of things that we have been dying to hear from a QB. One thing that sticks out was what he said about acting like a starting QB. He said in the past in HS and College. That when he wasnt the starter, he wasnt doing everything the right way. He was connecting with all his teammates, he wasnt properly preparing, and wasnt handling himself like he was a starter. He didnt do it until he was actually a starter. He said he has learned from that mistake and now approaches every aspect as if he was the starter. That is one of the reasons why he is staying after practices with the coaches or with himself. He wants to go over the plays mentally that he messed up in practice and than wants to go through the plays that the other QBs had for reps that he didnt. They said when he does that he doesnt every detail. He will pretend to be in the huddle, will call out the play like its in the huddle, do the break, approach the line, and yell out the calls. He said he has to get better at the verbage and pronoucing the plays and using it to learn the plays and how the play calls are grouped together. Saying when it comes to a live session, he wont think, he can just play. Another thing I liked from his interview was him talking about how he goes back and watching his old game tapes and old practices so he can constantly see how he is changing. So he can view the things he was doing well or bad and compare to what changes he has made.  

When I was listening to him, it was like the opposite of Manziel. 

Also hearing reports that he is getting Reps with the 1st team. Kessler and Kizer have gotten all their team reps with the ones and Brock has been with the twos. Has stated that when ever Kizer makes a mistake that coaches are right on him trying to correct.

55 minutes ago, brownie man said:

As the conductor of this bandwagon, I am very glad everyone is beginning to see the light that is our franchise quarterback Deshone Kizer

He will take us to the game we have been waiting so long to play in 

But one day at a time

I'm so happy for you two. Couldn't have happened to two better people and one better franchise.

7 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I agree with Horny. I've read the Browns o-line has whooped the d-line.

When you think about it though it may take our D line a while to come into shape. 

Theyre probably taking it slow with Des and Garrett still isn't with the ones. They're gonna have guys earn it so I don't think our D line will come into shape till after the second preseason game. We've still got a lot of moving pieces. But it is great to know we're staying focused on the run game. 

What Garrett had shown in his college career I think he would have a tough time with Joe anyway. I'm sure with enough reps he would win some one on one matchups but he doesn't match up well with LT's who have good technique and that's Joe. I would be expecting Ogbah to be schooling whoever is playing RT though, that is mildly concerning.

5 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

Big brawl at camp today. Sounds like it was between the OL and DL. OL has been owning the DL which makes me happy, as I think our DL is going to be good so the OL must be shaping up very nicely 

I dont care if the DL was in shape or not, I would still expect the OL to be doing some damage. The FO invested a lot of money into the OL this off season. Browns OL if healthy could be a top 5 unit this season. If everything goes well for the DL they could be a top 10 unit.

I really hope the OL keeps it up. I would love to hear about them bullying the DL all camp. Allow them to build the mindset that they will push around and bully everyone. It will also make the DL just angry and annoyed to the point they want to kill someone and they can start wrecking opposing players. It be great, the DL gets pushed to the limits, so week1 hits and freaking someone takes out big ben!

5 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

What Garrett had shown in his college career I think he would have a tough time with Joe anyway. I'm sure with enough reps he would win some one on one matchups but he doesn't match up well with LT's who have good technique and that's Joe. I would be expecting Ogbah to be schooling whoever is playing RT though, that is mildly concerning.

I dont think its just about his sack numbers. Garrett just caused some much chaos in the backfield. Just sucks he didnt get enough sacks. Dude did put up some monstrous TFL stats

7 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I dont think its just about his sack numbers. Garrett just caused some much chaos in the backfield. Just sucks he didnt get enough sacks. Dude did put up some monstrous TFL stats

Well if we take away his sacks he had 50 tackles, 16 for a loss in 34 games. I think his sack stats are by far his greatest college stats.

9 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well if we take away his sacks he had 50 tackles, 16 for a loss in 34 games. I think his sack stats are by far his greatest college stats.

Im not saying his sacks werent important. I am just saying, You also add in what he did to get his TFLs, he cause Havoc. To me Garrett could of had even better stats if he had better support around him or played in a scheme that allowed him just play to get after the QB. Best example was the Bama game. Robinson was a great tackle and he did a good job vs Garrett but Garrett did a lot more containing on Hurt than actually getting after him. There were a couple times they unleashed him but a majority of that Bama game they wanted him containing Hurts. Stuff like that didnt happen to Bosa because he had talent around him. Perry and Lee were great enough OLBs that they were able to handle the contain responsibilities. I just want to see what he does in William's defense, where him and Ogbah will spend a majority of the time trying to destroy the QB

30 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Im not saying his sacks werent important. I am just saying, You also add in what he did to get his TFLs, he cause Havoc. To me Garrett could of had even better stats if he had better support around him or played in a scheme that allowed him just play to get after the QB. Best example was the Bama game. Robinson was a great tackle and he did a good job vs Garrett but Garrett did a lot more containing on Hurt than actually getting after him. There were a couple times they unleashed him but a majority of that Bama game they wanted him containing Hurts. Stuff like that didnt happen to Bosa because he had talent around him. Perry and Lee were great enough OLBs that they were able to handle the contain responsibilities. I just want to see what he does in William's defense, where him and Ogbah will spend a majority of the time trying to destroy the QB

They asked Garrett to almost exclusively (so I'm told)  rush the edge from the outside and not to come inside the tackle. If that is true then we need to see what he can do in that area because we wouldn't spend the #1 pick on a one trick pony. Very few have long term success beating opponents with one move, although the speed rush alone has worked for some freak players in the past it isn't the best case scenario to just have that attribute. Garrett hopefully shows he has much more than that.

His speed rush is another level than Bosa's but just from what I saw, no matter if Garrett was limited by scheme I can't really grade something I didn't see, I would have Bosa as a considerably better prospect because he did it in so many ways and used his skills to get linemen off balance and then just destroyed them. Garrett didn't (have the opportunity to) display that. That said, the Chargers used Bosa mostly as a speed rush which I thought limited him but it was still good enough to win him DROTY so they probably know best and that is a good sign for Garrett because he does that better than Bosa.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

They asked Garrett to almost exclusively (so I'm told)  rush the edge from the outside and not to come inside the tackle. If that is true then we need to see what he can do in that area because we wouldn't spend the #1 pick on a one trick pony. Very few have long term success beating opponents with one move, although the speed rush alone has worked for some freak players in the past it isn't the best case scenario to just have that attribute. Garrett hopefully shows he has much more than that.

His speed rush is another level than Bosa's but just from what I saw, no matter if Garrett was limited by scheme I can't really grade something I didn't see, I would have Bosa as a considerably better prospect because he did it in so many ways and used his skills to get linemen off balance and then just destroyed them. Garrett didn't (have the opportunity to) display that. That said, the Chargers used Bosa mostly as a speed rush which I thought limited him but it was still good enough to win him DROTY so they probably know best and that is a good sign for Garrett because he does that better than Bosa.

Well I know in the 4-3, you rarely ever want your DE going inside unless its schemed for a certain play. So I have no issue in them telling him he is going to be purely an outside edge guy. I have no issue with that because he is damn good at setting the edge when he reads it is a run play. I want to say in the Bama game, I dont remember Robinson ever truly setting the edge on him. I would say that Garrett controlled the outside edge the entire time. That lead to Bama running it inside on Garrett or running away from him. When ever they tried to, Garrett made the play. I remember that because I compared it to the Barnett from Tenn. and Bama had more success setting the edge on him and attacking him with the run than they did with Garrett. I think with the LBs and Pepper at safety that Williams would want everything be forced to the outside/ally so the LBs and Pepper can come in and finish off the play 

Bosa was so damn good because his technique is so damn refined for a guy so young. I dont remember ever seeing a DL having as great of a hands as he did. It was amazing how quickly he was able to shoot his hands  and how consistent he was winning the battle for inside hand placement. He made a lot of great tackles he went up against look silly because he was able to expose  then with his technique. I dont know if Bosa is the better prospect. He is the safer prospect but I think Garrett has the higher ceiling tho. It was crazy that Garrett's final two schools was A&M and tOSU. tOSU almost had Bosa and Garrett as teammates.

9 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

esteemed QB evaluater,  Kenny Britt reports that Kizer will be a great QB. 

That is some good news, but on the other hand I feel like the media is driving the Kizer hype train. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/03/james-jones-on-derek-carr-i-call-him-a-mini-aaron-rodgers/

this is reminds me of when James Jones called Carr a baby Arod years ago 

i wouldnt call him a QB evaluator sometimes players just know man 

Archived