GWT: Week 19 Titans @ Patriots

gopherwrestler

GWT: Week 19 Titans @ Patriots   

95 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

Just now, Ragnarok said:

Except they have one more day to rest and prepare for next week.

Which would you rather have....13 days to get ready for the Titans/KC and 8 days to prepare for the Steelers/Jags when they'll have 7 days...or 14 days to prepare for the Titans/KC and one less day to prepare for Jax/Pitt?

It depends, really. In 2014 they had Baltimore in the divisional round, who were a much tougher matchup for them than the Colts, who upset the Broncos.

1 minute ago, TitanSS said:

I get that Sanchez is bad, but he's not Blake Bortles bad.

But Bortles is capable of playing a game at a much higher level than Sanchez.

Bortles is poopie...but he is poopie capable of playing shockingly good for a game or half...just enough to win.  

2 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

What?! That's absurd. Sanchez's best single game can't even match what Bortles(unexpectedly) accomplished in 16 games this season.  

194 YDs/3 TDs/0 INTs vs Patriots in the win we were talking about. Playoff football not the garbage time stats that Bortles accumulates every single year that makes Jags fans think he had a decent game.

If Bortles can win tomorrow, I guess we'll get to see if he matches your expectations.

Just now, TitanSS said:

194 YDs/3 TDs/0 INTs vs Patriots in the win we were talking about. Playoff football not the garbage time stats that Bortles accumulates every single year that makes Jags fans think he had a decent game.

If Bortles can win tomorrow, I guess we'll get to see if he matches your expectations.

I'm not talking talking every single year or even a single game. Or even claiming that Bortles is a good QB in general. I'm talking about your absurd comparison to Mark sanchez career and Blake Bortles in 2017.

When one happens to be a starting QB on a current playoff team and the other is only HOPING to find 3rd string position in the off-season at this point. 

The Bortles conversation is the wrong one to have if we're talking about a potential Patriots-Jaguars matchup. The conversation we should have is Jaguars defense versus Tom Brady and his offensive supporting cast. Because if that matchup plays out the way it has the last few times Brady has faced similarly built defenses in the playoffs, the bar Bortles would have to clear to win isn't that high.

1 minute ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I'm not talking talking every single year or even a single game. Or even claiming that Bortles is a good QB in general. I'm talking about your absurd comparison to Mark sanchez career and Blake Bortles in 2017.

When one happens to be a starting QB on a current playoff team and the other is only HOPING to find 3rd string position in the off-season at this point. 

And for multiple years Sanchez was a starting QB on a playoff team, what is your point?

I'm talking about Sanchez then and Bortles now. Did you think I was suggesting they cut Bortles and sign Sanchez or where are you going with this? 

You do realize that in 4 years Bortles is going to be in the same position Sanchez is in now? Trying to find a backup role.

27 minutes ago, Quark3 said:

NFL is in  a total Clown Era .... Brady might win 3 more rings by 2021. Why retire when the competition is this bad? And it won't get any harder next week or in the Super Bowl.

Every other team that was good even 2-3 years ago is now bad, and nobody has taken their place, while the Patriots just roll on like a metronome. 

Not even - this year's team and last year's team aren't as good as several of the Patriots teams that didn't win the SB between 2004 - 2014. They just face zero competition by comparison.

This is exactly why I think he doesn't want to retire anytime soon. Manning's gone so there's nobody to consistently rival him for the number 1 seed and be a potential roadblock in the playoffs, the Raven's defense just isn't the same without Ray Lewis leading them so he has no outside threat like Baltimore. So as long as they don't crap the bed like they did vs the Jets in 2010, the biggest competition is a Steelers team that struggles against them. And then you're waiting for everyone else to hopefully get to that level which isn't a gaurantee. 

Though I would take some exception to the last part. Only one Patriot team was as good as the 2007 team. The 2004 team. And that's a maybe. So 4 of the 5 Super Bowl team's would fall in the "not as good as the teams that didn't win between 2004-2014". This team and last years team are still leagues better than the 2006, 2008 (when you factor Brady out), 2008, 2011-2013 teams. They just don't get a lot of credit because they succeed in the metrics that matter but lack in some that don't. This years and last years defense were slept on a lot because of DVOA and yardage. After week 4 where they admittedly had a poor start, they have held teams to 17 points or less in 11 out of the last 13 games. Also this Patriots offense is tied for 2 in ppg along with Philly (and the number 1 Rams were taken out of the playoffs). So They are top 2 in ppg on offense and 5 on defense. Basically the only team with that strong of a balance on both sides of the ball is Philly who lost their starting QB. The Vikings are 1 in ppg on defense but are 10 for ppg on offense. 

So really they are the overall most balanced team along with Philly this year. 

It's just all relative. 

19 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I get that Sanchez is bad, but he's not Blake Bortles bad.

Jags front gets good pressure, jets 2010 had no pressure, it was all coverage.

20 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Meh. Mark Sanchez won a playoff game against Belichick. With a defense that wasn’t as good as these Jags

Revis in his prime and cromartie and IIRC gronk was out or welker? someone was out I think. It was something to watch, Brady had all the time a qb could have, yet rarely completed passes, thats how good Revis and cormartie were. 

Braylon edwards with the flip[ at the end was not a bad celebration back then, not sure if he got fined for it. 

5 minutes ago, lancerman said:

This is exactly why I think he doesn't want to retire anytime soon. Manning's gone so there's nobody to consistently rival him for the number 1 seed and be a potential roadblock in the playoffs, the Raven's defense just isn't the same without Ray Lewis leading them so he has no outside threat like Baltimore. So as long as they don't crap the bed like they did vs the Jets in 2010, the biggest competition is a Steelers team that struggles against them. And then you're waiting for everyone else to hopefully get to that level which isn't a gaurantee. 

Though I would take some exception to the last part. Only one Patriot team was as good as the 2007 team. The 2004 team. And that's a maybe. So 4 of the 5 Super Bowl team's would fall in the "not as good as the teams that didn't win between 2004-2014". This team and last years team are still leagues better than the 2006, 2008 (when you factor Brady out), 2008, 2011-2013 teams. They just don't get a lot of credit because they succeed in the metrics that matter but lack in some that don't. This years and last years defense were slept on a lot because of DVOA and yardage. After week 4 where they admittedly had a poor start, they have held teams to 17 points or less in 11 out of the last 13 games. Also this Patriots offense is tied for 2 in ppg along with Philly (and the number 1 Rams were taken out of the playoffs). So They are top 2 in ppg on offense and 5 on defense. Basically the only team with that strong of a balance on both sides of the ball is Philly who lost their starting QB. The Vikings are 1 in ppg on defense but are 10 for ppg on offense. 

So really they are the overall most balanced team along with Philly this year. 

It's just all relative. 

if he likes playing and rarely gets hit, why not.  The league has made it easy on him and other qb's, well most. If the Jags get a QB, I think they will beat the pats every time as long as they are healthy.  They play on the fringe wrt roughing etc, another reason to look forward to jags vs pats in the future. Jags need to lose now, and get QB first, and 2018 could be their year.

I am looking forward to next week if we make it , we owe them lets say:ph34r:

Archived