Jump to content
gopherwrestler

GWT: Week 19 Titans @ Patriots

GWT: Week 19 Titans @ Patriots   

95 members have voted

  1. 1. Who Wins?



Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, mcmurtry86 said:

Kinda trollish for a mod 

At the time I posted it, the Pats were playing poorly and had more than a "slim" chance to lose. 

You quoting this now serves no purpose other than to antagonize. I would think a mod should be above this type of posting.

Trolling?  No.  Playfully prodding, yes.  Though, I'll admit I had utterly no confidence in the Titans to win that game in Foxboro even with the lead, and I've been one of Mariota's most ardent non-Titan-fan supporters.

I get that this Pats team isn't as strong as Pats teams of the past, but the level to which so many Pats fans on here have been down on the team feels like a lot of you all are intentionally trying to reverse-psychology the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Trolling?  No.  Playfully prodding, yes.  Though, I'll admit I had utterly no confidence in the Titans to win that game in Foxboro even with the lead, and I've been one of Mariota's most ardent non-Titan-fan supporters.

I get that this Pats team isn't as strong as Pats teams of the past, but the level to which so many Pats fans on here have been down on the team feels like a lot of you all are intentionally trying to reverse-psychology the team.

Conversely I'd posit that many non Pats fans are talking up the Pats' chances (due to record, perceived ability of the team or the league "fixing" things so they win) so that when this fairly pedestrian version of the Pats loses, everyone can point to Brady and Belichick as chokers.

The Pats have had fewer than 8 games this year where they played a good, complete game. They have little talent in the injury ravaged front 7 and Brady has been shaky for awhile. 

Tonight might build some confidence in Pats fans but I don't think any reasonable presom would say they're more than a slight favorite next week and probably a push. It's hard to trust a defense so devoid of talent up front and the Pats have very rarely put up 3 straight quality, clean games from the offense in the playoffs. They've traditionally relied upon the D to make big plays and overachieve in the AFCCG and Super Bowl and I don't see that happening this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lancerman said:

Based off what? Virtually nothing.

Patriots 2010: ppg 19.6, 5864 yards, 366.5 yards per game, 258.5 passing yards per game, 108 rushing yards per game

Patriots 2017: ppg 18.5, 5856 yards, 366 yards per game, 251.3 passing yards per game, 114.8 rushing yards per game.

Both defenses are almost identical statistically with a very slim advantage going to the 2017 squad. And they were both had 18 takeaways during the year. You'd be hard pressed to find two more similar statistical defenses between any Patriots squads. 

 

That 2010 D was 2nd in takeaways and had allowed fewer than 10 points in 4 of the final 5 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mcmurtry86 said:

Conversely I'd posit that many non Pats fans are talking up the Pats' chances (due to record, perceived ability of the team or the league "fixing" things so they win) so that when this fairly pedestrian version of the Pats loses, everyone can point to Brady and Belichick as chokers.

The Pats have had fewer than 8 games this year where they played a good, complete game. They have little talent in the injury ravaged front 7 and Brady has been shaky for awhile. 

Tonight might build some confidence in Pats fans but I don't think any reasonable presom would say they're more than a slight favorite next week and probably a push. It's hard to trust a defense so devoid of talent up front and the Pats have very rarely put up 3 straight quality, clean games from the offense in the playoffs. They've traditionally relied upon the D to make big plays and overachieve in the AFCCG and Super Bowl and I don't see that happening this year. 

The AFCCG, assuming they play Pittsburgh, and the Super Bowl, assuming they play New Orleans, I can see.  But if they end up on a path that includes Jacksonville or Minnesota, I can see both those teams falling into the trap that we've seen teams similarly fall into against less-performing Pats sides and undermining themselves in the face of the Patriot mystique - whether merited or not this season.  Some teams rise to the occasion when facing the generational giant, but most tend to handicap themselves - and whether that handicap can be overcome is yet to be seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The whinging on this thread is completely unedifying. It's becoming impossible to be a part of this forum.

Edited by Hunter2_1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fair play to @titans0021 for trying to keep a lid on it, but after reading this thread, I am utterly astonished at the volume of grown men (?) carrying on like they did. This wasn't a football thread, it was a chance to vent, whinge, bait and moan. Seriously, have you nothing better to do? If the game is getting to you, go outside or something. No wonder the membership has halved. 

 

Fair play TEN, like I said, very likeable team and you showed up very well as expected. Good luck next season, and I hope Conklin (fantastic young tackle) is ok. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mariota was injured apparently, so Titans had to alter their play calling. 

I missed a good portion of the game so I didn’t see those missed calls that people are alleging. What happened?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kip Smithers said:

Mariota was injured apparently, so Titans had to alter their play calling. 

I missed a good portion of the game so I didn’t see those missed calls that people are alleging. What happened?

 

Titans complete to Eric Decker on third down then it gets overturned for a BS OPI.

 

Next drive Patriots are 4th and 5 backed up, get called for a false start on the punting team so it backs them up to 4th and 10, but then the zebras change their mind and say it’s neutral zone infraction and an automatic first down, Pats go down the field and score. That’s the one that made me really mad 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Fair play to @titans0021 for trying to keep a lid on it, but after reading this thread, I am utterly astonished at the volume of grown men (?) carrying on like they did. This wasn't a football thread, it was a chance to vent, whinge, bait and moan. Seriously, have you nothing better to do? If the game is getting to you, go outside or something. No wonder the membership has halved. 

 

Fair play TEN, like I said, very likeable team and you showed up very well as expected. Good luck next season, and I hope Conklin (fantastic young tackle) is ok. 

Well, if anyone is truly upset, here's a plug for the law firm of which I am CEO: Vendtt, Wein, Bates, and Mohn- When you feel offended, make sure you're defended! Cyberspace trolling and salty remarks are our specialty.

That being said, I must confess that, as a Giants' fan, I was so sure that Tom Brady and the Patriots would crush them in both of the Super Bowls they played that I watched neither game (Wimping Out is a legal strategy we sometimes recommend to clients), and was shocked both times at the outcome. Even with that, I never rule out the Patriots any given year, so dominant has New England been, and so seamlessly do they change personnel and continue to remain a top contender every year. 

One personal nod to their fans: I took my wife to the Berkshires for a weekend this October to see the fall foliage; stupidly I wore a knit New York Giants hat into the wilds of Massachusetts and Patriot Country. It only occurred to me once we were there that this might be a red flag of sorts to rabid Patriot fans. But the reality is, while I was repeatedly noticed, and got some looks as though I had stepped off a space ship, everyone was good-humored and nice about it. - I suppose winning so many years makes one magnanimous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

 

Titans complete to Eric Decker on third down then it gets overturned for a BS OPI.

 

Next drive Patriots are 4th and 5 backed up, get called for a false start on the punting team so it backs them up to 4th and 10, but then the zebras change their mind and say it’s neutral zone infraction and an automatic first down, Pats go down the field and score. That’s the one that made me really mad 

I kinda saw the penalty on the punt one but i was kinda half paying attention. I do remember seeing one of the Pats coaches saying that the call was bull so I assumed they got the penalty and then I when I saw automatic first down I was like what happened? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

The whinging on this thread is completely unedifying. It's becoming impossible to be a part of this forum.

Then don't be. Let's be honest here, almost every football fan is rooting against the Patriots. We want to see new blood. I'd love to see Jacksonville in the Super Bowl. Seeing the same teams over and over again gets tiresome. So when the game starts with the Titans surprising everyone by scoring first and the refs immediately making a bunch of bad calls that favor the Patriots, you're going to get a lot of annoyed people. When those calls result in a lopsided first half that could have been competitive without them, you're going to get a lot of disappointed people.

Your team isn't liked. When they're getting the benefit of bad refereeing, you'll hear about it. I guess that's the cross you have to bear. Well, you don't have to bear it. As I said, nobody forces you to come on here. If you want to stay, great! If you want to go, well, I understand. I've left forums where the overwhelming negativity ruined the experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CKS97 said:

Gronk is a product of Brady.

Put him anywhere else, he's just another guy.

LOL! Gronk is by far not human and would be beastly on any team with even a mediocre QB. You are funny though. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

The officials were a disgrace, but the Titans didn't belong in the playoffs (this is the third time this decade that NE has defeated an 8-8 or 9-7 team at home in the divisional playoffs. They also lost to a 9-7 Giant team in a SB, and they lost to a 9-7 Ravens team at home in the 09 Playoffs. Just some food for thought for the Patriot fans and bouquet throwers).

Pats will go down next week against either the Killer B's or Sacksonville, however. If the Jags win, that game will be a repeat of the 15 AFC Title Game (Brady will take a beating).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Then don't be. Let's be honest here, almost every football fan is rooting against the Patriots. We want to see new blood. I'd love to see Jacksonville in the Super Bowl. Seeing the same teams over and over again gets tiresome. So when the game starts with the Titans surprising everyone by scoring first and the refs immediately making a bunch of bad calls that favor the Patriots, you're going to get a lot of annoyed people. When those calls result in a lopsided first half that could have been competitive without them, you're going to get a lot of disappointed people.

Your team isn't liked. When they're getting the benefit of bad refereeing, you'll hear about it. I guess that's the cross you have to bear. Well, you don't have to bear it. As I said, nobody forces you to come on here. If you want to stay, great! If you want to go, well, I understand. I've left forums where the overwhelming negativity ruined the experience.

Fine, but is there any need to come on online and spout the drivel, clogging up the forum? Most people are here for intelligent football discussions, not "I wish he broke Solder's nose". Not sure how you can defend such vitriol under the guidance of "your team is hated". Which is also pathetic, by the way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×