ML's Annual End of Season Mock

Kmart128

What grade do you give this mock draft?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What grade do you give this mock draft?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I feel like I always make a mock draft when we are eliminated. This year it a little later that it typically is so that a great sign that we are heading in the right direction with this group of guys running this team.

Resigning- 

EJ Gaines- Wonderful corner for us on the season. Doesn't get much credit with Hyde, Poyer, and White He was hurt a bit over the course of the year but the Bills are 8-3 when Gaines plays for us.

Deonte Thompson- Not a starter but he makes plays every now on then. Was a complete surprise and will be a nice backup at the flanker position. Lord knows we could use his speed.

Shareece Wright- As much as Gaines is injured I believe having experience like Wrights as our 4th CB is valuable. Not the best but he fits in nicely.

Leonard Johnson- Was our nickle all year. Never gave up many big plays but we have to keep the strength of this team in place so our nickle returns.

Preston Brown- Led the NFL in tackles. Very inconsistent but if he leaves that opens up another hole. Better players around him would help his game a lot. 

Cedric Thorton- Backup UT. Made some plays when given the chance.

Travaris Cadet- Showed a lot in his little time here. Heck of a pass catcher out of the backfield. 

Image result for ej gaines 300x300

Trades-

Buffalo trades Tyrod Taylor to the Denver Broncos for a 6th Round Pick- Its no secret that the Denver Broncos love Tyrod for some reason. And a 6th round pick is a small price to pay for a playoff QB. We get to move on and save about 18 million in cap room

Coaching Changes

Rob Chudzinski becomes OC for Rick Dennison- Normally I wouldn't project this but Rob is best friends with Sean McDermott so I could see this move happening. If we don't get Chudzinski then Dennison retains his position.

Free Agency-

Star Lotulelei NT Carolina Panthers- 4 Years 23 Million: Something we have missed with Marcel Dareus traded. And I am projecting a Kyle Williams retirement so Star will be a prime candidate to replace him and return to his former Defensive coordinators team. We all know how much Sean likes his Carolina guys. A guy like Star would take up a ton of space and allow guys like Milano and Brown to make plays. Should sure up our run inconsistent run defense. Clog the middle baby!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3LwDkY4MRuLWRLjrIcuu

Mark Herzlich OLB New York Giants- 2 Years 6 Million: With Humber Leaving the team we will be looking for a cheap backup linebacker. Herzlich seems like a good quality depth signing and a player that McDermott would love. A lot of heart out of a player like Herzlich... Beat cancer! Sean values players like Mark.

herzlich-283x300.jpg

Tyler Eifert TE Cincinnati Bengals- 3 Years 16 Million: There is a new TE named Tyler in Cincy and Eifert has always been injured. A back up behind Clay seems like the perfect scenario for a place for him to end up. Would allow him to stay healthy and will help with our 2 TEs sets. We have been using O'Leary more but Eifert when healthy is at another level. Gives our new QB another target to throw to with a team that lacks weapons

tyler-eifert-cincinnati-bengals.jpg 

Tom Savage QB Houston Texans- 1 Year 3 Million: Savage helped groom Deshaun Watson which is what we are going to ask of him on a one year contract. Get our rookie ready to start. He had a 300 yard game this year... something that Tyrod fails to do. So he is a valuable vet who could start a couple games if need be. Hopefully we have our QB of the future will be ready but if not Savage could walk out of training camp with the job. He will likely be in a 3 QB battle. Still fairly young as well for a backup with experience. 

Image result for tom savage 320x320

2018 NFL Draft

Image result for 2018 nfl draft

Round 1: WR Courtland Sutton WR SMU

Well receiver has been an issue all year long and with the 21st we add an explosive playmaker. He is not the fastest guy in the draft but throughout his career he has averaged around 16 and 17 yards a catch. He has scored atleast 9 TDs in each of the past 3 years and probably would have been a 1st round pick if he left last year.Will fit right into the flanker role with Zay in the slot and Kelvin at the Split End. He is a tall receiver as well. Tall receiver with his speed makes for an unstoppable force. Who knows how high his draft stock would be if he went to a bigger school.

Image result for courtland sutton 300x300

Round 1:  Sam Hubbard DE Ohio State

We have back to back picks here at number 22 overall. Extremely talented player who has never really put it all together at the college level. But that seems how it goes for a majority of college DEs. Hubbard is 6'5 and can use his size to bat balls down. He is the perfect size for a 4-3 Defense and would be nice in setting the edge. Id expect him an Hughes to rotate at this position. See this guy being a Chris Kelsay type player for us. Hopefully he will gain more sacks though. Ohio State defensive ends always seem to have a relentless motor. We will need a guy like him to improve on our pass rush and help our secondary out.

Image result for sam hubbard 320x320

Round 2:  Drew Lock QB Missouri

This guy may stay in school but I have a feeling he is leaning towards leaving. Dude has a cannon for an arm. Throws a ton of deep passes due to scheme. His numbers call him inaccurate but thats because he takes so many shots down field. He leads all of FBS with passing TDs with 44 and only has 13 INTs despite all the risks that offense takes. He is 6'4 so he has good height to go with his golden arm. Averages 9.5 yards an attempt despite all the in completions with his deep balls. Throwing to a fast receiver like Sutton will be scary with his arm and having big receiver like Benjamin to box out defenders should improve his completion percentage. Has time to learn under a vet like Savage as well who helped groom Watson in Houston. Lock is drawing Brett Favre comparisons but he is a love or hate prospect.

Image result for drew lock 320x320

Round 2:   Tremaine Edmunds OLB Virgina Tech

Very Tall Lanky OLB that could do it all. He will be a SLB. He has put on some weight which is good but I love this guy as a prospect because he is unique Guy is 6'5. You don't normally get a pass defender with your SLB but with his length and arm span it wouldnt surprise me to see his hands get in the way of some underneath passes. He would be huge against a guy like Tom Brady who thinks the passes will be open but a guy like Edmunds gets his hands on it first. He does a bit of everything, gets his sacks, stops runs behind the LOS and can pick off an occasional pass.

Image result for tremaine edmunds vt

Round 3:  Braden Smith OG Auburn 

Played a lot on the right side of the line in Auburn which is great as we may have a hole at RG or RT... depending on what happens with Glenn. Smith is a Guard but he is 6'6 which is typical OT size so there is potential for versatility out of a guy like Smith. I think he will start out on the bench under Ducasse but as season wears on will take that spot. Its evident that John Miller is not in favor with these coaches and Incognito isn't getting any younger so a guy like Smith is a nice addition. Still wish we gave Groy a shot at RG this year. Smith is a big reason for the success of Johnson. 

Image result for braden smith

Round 4:  Royce Freeman RB Oregon

So long Mike Tolbert. Now this is a big powerback at 238 pounds. He is all muscle and not fat unlike some RB we happen to know. Rookie RBs have been dominating lately and Shady isn't getting younger but this is a workhorse back that could compliment Lesean before taking over for him. Kid averages 6 yards a carry and had 14 rushing TDs. This is another great class of RBs... maybe even better than last year so Freeman who would in most years be a 3rd becomes a 4th round player. 

Image result for royce freeman 320x320

Round 5: Folorunso Fatukasi DT Conneticut

We must not find us in position again were we rely on one DT to stop the run. This addition gives us depth at the position. Type of player who can clog the middle and still make the tackle. Will have a chance to wait and learn under a player the caliber of Star. Defintely need to revamp the DTs with the only one under contract being Adolphus.

Image result for folorunso fatukasi

Round 5-  Marcus Allen S Penn State

Seems like all year we were playing with no Safety depth. Hyde went down twice in the playoff game. We need someone else back there in case Hyde or Poyer get banged up. Allen seems like the kinda safety that McDermott would love. Just a solid safety. Nothing fancy just does his job well and could break out here. Very similar to Hyde. Obviously not the same caliber but both were considered solid safeties that could do everything well. Allen is of the same mold. And this is the first player that we add to the secondary.

Image result for marcus allen

Round 6:  Mike White QB Western Kentucky

Ive heard a rumor that we like this guy. And gives us another arm for rookie mini camps. And it always a bonus to add two rookie QBs. Just look at Washington hitting on Cousins after drafting RG3. This is the Tyrod Taylor pick. So we trade Tyrod for a rookie QB. The past two years this kid has been great.

Image result for mike white western kentucky

Two Deep Depth Chart

HC: Sean McDermott

OC: Rod Chudzinski

QB: Drew Lock / Tom Savage

RB: LeSean McCoy / Royce Freeman

FB: Patrick Dimarco / Nick O'Leary 

SE: Kelvin Benjamin / Andre Holmes

TE: Charles Clay / Tyler Eifert

LT: Cordy Glenn / Dion Dawkins

LG: Richie Incognito / Ryan Groy

C: Eric Wood / Ryan Groy

RG: Vlad Ducasse / Braden Smith

RT: Dion Dawkins / Jordan Mills

SL: Zay Jones / Brandon Reilly

FL: Courtland Sutton / Deonte Thompson

DC: Leslie Frazier

DE: Sam Hubbard / Jerry Hughes

NT: Star Lotulelei / Folorunso Fatukasi

UT: Adolphus Washington / Cedric Thorton

DE: Shaq Lawson / Ryan Davis

SLB: Tremaine Edmunds / Lorenzo Alexander

MLB: Preston Brown / Tanner Vallejo

WLB: Matt Milano / Mark Herzlich

CB: Tredavious White / Shareece Write

SS: Jordan Poyer / Marcus Allen

FS: Micah Hyde / Colt Anderson

CB: EJ Gaines / Leonard Johnson (Nickle back)

STC: Danny Crossman

K: Stephen Hauschska

P: Colton Schmidt

Returner: Travaris Cadet

Really don’t love this scenario much at all. The thought of having Savage as our QB next year is scary. I would much rather keep Tyrod on the roster to groom a prospect. 

I didn’t like the fact that you did virtually nothing at RG. You really want Ducasse starting there again.

Thornton was rated one of the worst DT’s by several publications. Just look at the New England Game and you will see that he was steem rolled.

Sharice Wright ehh

20 minutes ago, Joutmaniii said:

Really don’t love this scenario much at all. The thought of having Savage as our QB next year is scary. I would much rather keep Tyrod on the roster to groom a prospect. 

I didn’t like the fact that you did virtually nothing at RG. You really want Ducasse starting there again.

Thornton was rated one of the worst DT’s by several publications. Just look at the New England Game and you will see that he was steem rolled.

Sharice Wright ehh

I said that I have Braden taking over as the season progresses. Think he has chance to be really good. Just as to take a few weeks to adjust to the NFL level.

Thorton was rated bad... but that's because he was a UT playing NT after the Dareus trade. But he is a backup. Anytime you have a backup playing significant minutes they are going to grade out low. I to am not a fan of Wright but he is pretty good as the #4 CB

Not a huge fan. 

Savage is bad and I don't buy that he helped groomed Watson. Deshaun was better from day 1.

I actually think our QB situation would be worse with that group then it was this year. I don't like that we didn't really solve the OL issues either because when Glenn misses time, we then have to move Dawkins over and Mills is back starting at RT beside Ducasse. Not ideal. 

I also found our secondary and DL to be pretty thin. I did like adding Sutton, Hubbard and Lotulelei.

Also just curious, where did you see that Chud and McDermott are best friends? All signs seem to be pointing to McCoy being the OC if we move on from Dennison.

I gave you a C on the Mock but I appreciate you working hard to do one!!  I really love reading these.  I hate the Savage signing I'd much rather we go after Cousins or even Alex Smith or Bridgewater or Keenum at QB.  If it is anyone other than Cousins then I could see us drafting a QB early but if we take Cousins no need to add a QB this year unless one they love falls to them.  Personally I love Rudoplh and Mayfield and I think one or both will be there at 21.  We have a lot of holes to fill so we need every pick we can get.  I love trading Tyrod for something if it's a late pick because you never can have enough picks.  Also with this draft I think we get 2 comp picks so that should add to our picks maybe even a 3rd for Gilmore loss and the other is Woods.  I love that you have us signing Star, Herzlich but I don't want Savage, Eifert in FA.  I love the resignings mostly Cadet I think he played really well in the short time he was here.   I also would see how much Jordan Matthews wants I think he played injured all season and if we could get him back cheap he'd be a really good #2 WR.  The draft like I said I'd take Rudoplh or Mayfield at 21 and at 22 I love Michigan DT Hurst or LSU DE Key but I'd address the Dline  at 22 the rest of your draft I really don't have a problem with I think you touched on all needs in the draft.  Again Thank you for doing a Mock

46 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Not a huge fan. 

Savage is bad and I don't buy that he helped groomed Watson. Deshaun was better from day 1.

I actually think our QB situation would be worse with that group then it was this year. I don't like that we didn't really solve the OL issues either because when Glenn misses time, we then have to move Dawkins over and Mills is back starting at RT beside Ducasse. Not ideal. 

I also found our secondary and DL to be pretty thin. I did like adding Sutton, Hubbard and Lotulelei.

Also just curious, where did you see that Chud and McDermott are best friends? All signs seem to be pointing to McCoy being the OC if we move on from Dennison.

Forgot where I saw that... Either read in some random article or heard it on TV... But when Chud was the OC in Carolina he developed a really close relationship with Sean. 

Dennison switched with McCoy seems like such a a bad move... Seems like fans who say this just want change for the sake of change. There was a reason he was fired.  Dennison made the Broncos QBs at least look decent last year... They looked horrible under McCoy. Dennison had much more success with Denver's offense than McCoys. And they both had much of the same players.

McCoy was McDermott's first choice and does not run a WCO. And Kubiak was calling the plays in Denver, not Dennison. 

Bronco fans seem to believe McCoy was scapegoated by Elway. 

Edit: Here is a good read and some quotes.

http://bsndenver.com/mike-mccoy-expected-to-be-the-anti-gary-kubiak-for-the-broncos/

Now that Kubiak has retired, the Broncos have chosen their new offensive path moving forward, and it seems they wanted the opposite of what they’ve had the past two years.

So no, changing to McCoy is not changing for the sake of change, but rather taking the Offense in a new direction.

Our biggest problem this off season will be acquiring a QB. Adding Tom Savage than reaching for a inaccurate QB who will need to sit for 2-3 Years to groom is way to much risk for my liking with this much draft equity

It's Cousins or Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield/Jackson/Allen or bust imo

On 1/10/2018 at 7:05 PM, BillsGuy82 said:

Our biggest problem this off season will be acquiring a QB. Adding Tom Savage than reaching for a inaccurate QB who will need to sit for 2-3 Years to groom is way to much risk for my liking with this much draft equity

It's Cousins or Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield/Jackson/Allen or bust imo

Well I don't think we have to worry about it... Lock is staying. In that case in changing that pick to Mason Rudolph. Not NY favorite but only QB I see at the Bills selection is Allen and I don't want to touch him with a 10 foot pole.

On 12/01/2018 at 9:59 AM, marshawn lynch said:

Well I don't think we have to worry about it... Lock is staying. In that case in changing that pick to Mason Rudolph. Not NY favorite but only QB I see at the Bills selection is Allen and I don't want to touch him with a 10 foot pole.

I can see us trading up with Cleveland to 4 and drafting Jackson or Mayfield. Josh Allen maybe if he tests well at combine 

I'm gonna assume Indy will draft Saquon Barkley at 3 and go 

Cleveland - Rosen

Giants - Darnold

Colts - Barkley

Bills trade both 2018 1's, 2018 2, 2018 4, 2019 2 for Cleveland for 4th overall pick.

37 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Pick 4: 1800

Pick 21: 800
Pick 22: 780
Pick 53: 370
= 1950

the chart is a nice guide, but I think it is more out of date now. I was going to point out though that KC went from 27 to 10 by trading a future 1st rounder, and usually a future 1st rounder = pick #33 this year. So I am thinking that 21 and 22 alone should be able to get to around 7 or 8 this year.

Archived