Bengals to hire Teryl Austin as Defensive Coordinator

.Buzz

29 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Hate to break it to you, but i dont think Fangio is going anywhere.  The Bears "blocked" cincy from talking to him.  I expect Fangio to have a new deal with the Bears soon.

"Blocking" him only gives the Bears an extra 48 hours, as his deal is up Tuesday.  Personally, I would have loved to have Fangio, but would have been dubious on how our defense would look, assuming he would play a 3-4 here, which we are severely lacking at LB to do.

14 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

"Blocking" him only gives the Bears an extra 48 hours, as his deal is up Tuesday.  Personally, I would have loved to have Fangio, but would have been dubious on how our defense would look, assuming he would play a 3-4 here, which we are severely lacking at LB to do.

Exactly if the Bears werent certain that he was staying and that he was in the new coaches plan they wouldnt have blocked it.  They didnt block gb or baltimore to my knowledge.  That tells me that hes going to be on this staff in 2018

Apparently the Raiders are trying to get him as well.  Guenther as their DC, Austin as DB Coach/Assistant HC.  I would laugh/cry if the Bengals lost Austin as a DC because he becomes the DB coach elsewhere.  But with Mike Brown probably not wanting to pay up, I can see it happening...

5 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Apparently the Raiders are trying to get him as well.  Guenther as their DC, Austin as DB Coach/Assistant HC.  I would laugh/cry if the Bengals lost Austin as a DC because he becomes the DB coach elsewhere.  But with Mike Brown probably not wanting to pay up, I can see it happening...

embarrassing  

I will add this about the Mike Brown cheapness comment I made.  I'm 100% sure he opened with a lowball-ish number.  But now that there is a market for Austin, he'll increase his offer to at least match what the Raiders are offering.  Then it's up to Austin to decide where he wants to go.  Mike Brown probably won't be the highest bidder but he'll at least make an attempt to match...

13 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

What would be the benefit of choosing the raiders over Cincinnati? Would it just be money? I’m sure he’d rather have control over the entire defense rather than just coaching one position and having a BS assistant coach title. 

Archived