Bengals to hire Teryl Austin as Defensive Coordinator

.Buzz

20 hours ago, TwoToneBlue said:

Who wouldn't want to latch on to that Marvin Lewis job security?

Well, beyond that and as I touched on earlier in the thread... Lewis' situation could also be viewed as an opportunity to become the heir-apparent if/when Marvin does actually decide that he's stepping aside.  He came close this year so it's certainly on his mind.  Austin is only (I know it sounds weird saying that in an age of McVay's and Nagy's) 52 and comes from the relatively the same coaching tree as Lewis, so this could be a de-facto fast-tracked internship.

43 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Guenther would fall in the "good" category for defensive coordinators... Right?

Yes, if you let him be 'creative' and do his thing.  One notable aspect of Guenther (and with Zimmer as well), is that it takes them a drive or two but after they get a good feel for what the other team is doing he'll adjust and defense locks down.  So don't get discouraged if you see opposing team drive down the field easily on the first drive of the game.

Guenther had a lot of creative 3rd down blitz packages which I'm still not certain why we got away from them...

Marvis Lewis is a guy perfectly suited to a more senior FO position running that team and serving as a buffer between a head coach and that owner. The guy can hire good people. He can find talent. He just sucks at coaching it up, and his ego prevents him from moving on or admitting that. So the Bengals keep bleeding talented people.

I'm not complaining.

36 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Well, beyond that and as I touched on earlier in the thread... Lewis' situation could also be viewed as an opportunity to become the heir-apparent if/when Marvin does actually decide that he's stepping aside.  He came close this year so it's certainly on his mind.  Austin is only (I know it sounds weird saying that in an age of McVay's and Nagy's) 52 and comes from the relatively the same coaching tree as Lewis, so this could be a de-facto fast-tracked internship.

Yea. How many coordinators were explicitly told this now? It's not going to happen. You are just keeping Marvin comfy in his job making him just respectful enough to where he won't be going anywhere.

2 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Didn't he basically take the Lions defense from like #2 - #27 and it has got worse every year?

84 year old Haloti Ngata and Tahir Whitehead have been the best Defensive Lineman and Linebacker respectively the past two seasons for Detroit; let that sink in.

4 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Yea. How many coordinators were explicitly told this now? It's not going to happen. You are just keeping Marvin comfy in his job making him just respectful enough to where he won't be going anywhere.

Marvin doesn't need that though.  Mike Brown's general aversion to change and fondness for Marvin is all the job security Marvin needs.  It's really just that simple.

28 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Marvin doesn't need that though.  Mike Brown's general aversion to change and fondness for Marvin is all the job security Marvin needs.  It's really just that simple.

Even Brown would have to fire him if the team bottomed out for a few seasons. He justifies it now by pointing to how many coaches he cycled through before Marvin and how they all failed. A coordinator going to Cinci is basically betting on being able to do enough to get a head coaching job. Two other Lewis coordinators ended up doing it and there are others who served under him who ended up as head coaches. Guenther is leaving because he feels burned. He's the third coordinator I know of who thought he was set up to be Marvin's successor.

2 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Even Brown would have to fire him if the team bottomed out for a few seasons. He justifies it now by pointing to how many coaches he cycled through before Marvin and how they all failed. A coordinator going to Cinci is basically betting on being able to do enough to get a head coaching job. Two other Lewis coordinators ended up doing it and there are others who served under him who ended up as head coaches. Guenther is leaving because he feels burned. He's the third coordinator I know of who thought he was set up to be Marvin's successor.

Not exactly.  But how many coordinators outside of New England have gone on to be head coaches more than guys under Marvin Lewis?  Zimmer, Hue Jackson, Jay Gruden, and Vance Joseph.  4 NFL HCs is a hellva lot...

18 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Not exactly.  But how many coordinators outside of New England have gone on to be head coaches more than guys under Marvin Lewis?  Zimmer, Hue Jackson, Jay Gruden, and Vance Joseph.  4 NFL HCs is a hellva lot...

It's almost like other NFL owners attribute any success they have to the guys beneath Marvin and Brown.

10 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I vehmently disagree and now the bears just hired Nagy, makes it seem even more like my tea leaf reading is correct.  Lot of speculation in chicago right now that a deal is already in place and its just negotiation right now

I disagree.  I think if they were going to put on the all-court press, they would have hired a more "green" HC like DeFilippo and essentially made them "co-HC".

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I disagree.  I think if they were going to put on the all-court press, they would have hired a more "green" HC like DeFilippo and essentially made them "co-HC".

You're doing it wrong. If someone vehemently disagrees, you must either fervently, vigorously, emphatically disagree. 

You lose this argument, good sir. 

Archived