Bengals to hire Teryl Austin as Defensive Coordinator

.Buzz

I'll believe it when the ink is on the paper.  We've had quite a few false rumors lately, and Austin is still in the running for thee HC job in Detroit, though it looks like they want Patricia.

If he does indeed come, let's get Ziggy Ansah (with Eifert's intended money) and Ngata to follow him south on 75

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

I'll believe it when the ink is on the paper.  We've had quite a few false rumors lately, and Austin is still in the running for thee HC job in Detroit, though it looks like they want Patricia.

Hopefully we know today.  He's a FA tomorrow, so i imagine Detroit is probably trying to wrap this up today.  Although they can't hire Patricia until NE loses, at least officially.

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

If he does indeed come, let's get Ziggy Ansah (with Eifert's intended money) and Ngata to follow him south on 75

That's one great thing about hiring outside for coordinators - the connections.  You don't get that hiring internal, and this team already sucks at bringing in quality FA's.

49 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Sounds solid.  Guenther was JAG to me.  Not bad, not great.

He had a lot of promise but I can't tell how much he was held back by Marvin.  Guenther had some good blitzes especially on 3rd down.  We got away from blitzing entirely though after his first season as a DC.  Very curious to see how his defense does with the Raiders...

26 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

He had a lot of promise but I can't tell how much he was held back by Marvin.  Guenther had some good blitzes especially on 3rd down.  We got away from blitzing entirely though after his first season as a DC.  Very curious to see how his defense does with the Raiders...

Yeah and i wonder how much of that was because Guenther was an internal hire.  It could have made it easier for Marvin to stifle him to some degree.  The DC's before him seemed to have a bit more free reign.  

34 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Agreed.  I have often stated that I thought Marvin neutered him.  remember when Paul said we were going to be way more aggressive, and Marvin was like "No.  Just No." publicly?

21 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

If we don't end up with Austin or Vic Fangio, I'll be disappointed.  Fangio is the guy I want (even if we have to figure out how to transition to a 3-4).  Austin, is a very close #2.  After those 2 guys though, maybe Chuck Pagano I guess?

The team is set up for a 4-3.  I don't want anything to do with a coordinator that forces a transition to a 3-4 just because that's the system he knows how to coach.  A good coach adapts his system to the players.

That being said, i'd be good with Fangio because i don't think he's going to force anything.

23 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

What's the point of being an assistant head coach at a place where the head coach just signed a 10 year deal?  He'd essentially take a demotion away from being a DC in the process.

I don't understand that either.  Seems a lot like: 

9606897.jpg?598

Archived